VOGONS

PicoMEM : Pi Pico on ISA, with full Memory and I/O bus access

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 148, by polpo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digger wrote on 2024-05-21, 18:58:

Didn't PCMCIA lack DMA support, though? (The original 16-bit standard, not counting 32-bit CardBus.)

I guess it could still support non-DMA sound devices such as Adlib, Disney Sound Source, CMS and Tandy/PCjr 3 voice.

Yes, PCMCIA lacks DMA but there is a DMA emulation technique used by IBM on their 3D Sound PCMCIA card, apparently patented by them so nobody else used it. yyzkevin has reimplemented it for his PCMCIA card and it's working with Sound Blaster with digital sound even in DOS protected mode, as you can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJ12leojwo

Reply 141 of 148, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
polpo wrote on 2024-05-22, 04:45:

there is a DMA emulation technique used by IBM on their 3D Sound PCMCIA card, apparently patented by them so nobody else used it. yyzkevin has reimplemented it for his PCMCIA card and it's working with Sound Blaster with digital sound even in DOS protected mode

any technical details on how that works?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 142 of 148, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-05-22, 05:12:
polpo wrote on 2024-05-22, 04:45:

there is a DMA emulation technique used by IBM on their 3D Sound PCMCIA card, apparently patented by them so nobody else used it. yyzkevin has reimplemented it for his PCMCIA card and it's working with Sound Blaster with digital sound even in DOS protected mode

any technical details on how that works?

Here the mentioned patent https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/9 … e/US5768631.pdf

And this thread has many posts from yyzkevin that shows the progress and has the details
Re: Newly made PCMCIA sound card

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 144 of 148, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IBM's method requires the system to have an actual DMA controller, so the emulation software can read how it was configured by the application, correct?

A bit off-topic here, but doesn't that mean that this emulation method would not work in a system lacking an Intel 8257 compatible DMA controller, like say, newer post-ISA and post-floppy motherboards?

Reply 146 of 148, by uridium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Freddy:

Can't wait to try the EMS on one next pay cheque 😀 Thank you greatly (!).

I use the 2MB LowTech card pretty heavily via Turbo C++ for fun and pleasure rather than profit. This'd be rather good!

Reply 147 of 148, by hbot12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great project

Saw the second version of the ISA card demostrated by Adrian's Basement on YouTube.

I am impressed with the ease of use.

Hope to see it available in South Africa

keyboard emulation with USB is a sore need. The keyboards with DIN plugs are not available here.
With Apple Performa computers, .... it is the ADB keyboards and mice in short supply - ADB=Apple Data Bus.

HENNIE from Sunny South Africa

Reply 148 of 148, by caver99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Freddy:

out of curiosity, would it be possible to set the config settings via the config file, for things like memory etc, as you can set them in the bios but they dont save after power off.
i have updated to latest firmware and the added adlib, wifi and other bits if excellent.

Thank you Freddy for the great work.