VOGONS

Formerly Windows 3.1 trouble, now windows 98 trouble.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 41 of 140, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

really?
here's a separate download for it:
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/misc/creative/creative … hes/diag404.exe

it is original and legit file from creative's old FTP server
when you run pkunzip or that exe, it will show the authenticity verification for the file

Reply 43 of 140, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doom came on a disc?

I know some shareware versions were disced (Gold Medallion v1.666 being the most notable one) but the original full Doom only had floppy releases. Ultimate Doom had a disc release, a preloading id online ordering release, another disc release, another disc release, and a Steam release.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 49 of 140, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran the doom setpu and I am able to get sfx to work but no background sound yet.

Okay, I ran the sb program and I got these settings: Base I/0:240H Mpu401:330h Irq:10 Dma:3,5 For some weird reason I get sfx in doom but I have yet to get the music to work. The cd-rom disk does not work in ms-dos mode because I haven't configured mscdex and put the proper lines in the autoexec and config.sys files but the cd-rom works in 9X so I need to fix that, as I remember the sound files were loaded from the cd-rom and if the cd-rom drive fails to lead in ms-dos mode then maybye that's why I have no sound.

Reply 50 of 140, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no
doom has ALL of the sounds loaded off of the WAD file... in fact, it shouldn't even depend on the CD at all!
run the doom setup.exe again, and make sure your music (midi) settings are set correctly
it's also weird how your card is running at DMA 3/5 for the wave portion... if it works, then who cares, but just remember DMA 3 is normally for the ECP parallel port

Reply 53 of 140, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So how did you install the drivers in the end?

IMO it's good practice to keep Windows drivers and DOS drivers separate.

Under real DOS all you need to do is run CTCM and then AWEUTIL /S.

The card will display what resources it's using.

If your DOS driver installation is botched up, remove all references in the batch files and start from scratch.

I don't know if the DOS/W3.1 installer is meant to be run under W98 DOS MODE.

The default config is A220, IRQ 5, DMAL 1, DMAH 5, MIDI 330

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 55 of 140, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never had this happen to me.

There a few things that can help though: In BIOS disable any unused resources such as printer and serial ports, floppy port if you don't use it, USB if you don't use it.

There is also a PnP option (Auto/Manual) and Reset somethingsomething (seems to reallocate resources).

If your card still uses odd resources, just use CTCU and manually change them. It gives you full control to what address, IRQ and DMA you want to use. CTCU will tell you if there is a clash. E.g. when I set my AWE64 to IRQ7, it mentioned a conflict. Turned out I forgot to disable the printer port 😜

It even allows you to disable features not used, such as: game port, AWE synth, or even disable everything BUT the gameport 😁

Under windows, the resources don't matter. The driver and layered structure of windows takes care of all of that.

Reply 57 of 140, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosquest wrote:

Where do I get ctu? Also just a reminder, what are the dead default sb16 settings?

CTCU is in the same folder as CTCM.

Default configuration is the same as posted a few posts above!