VOGONS

Worthwhile putting a 286 together?

Topic actions

First post, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've still got the original 16MHz 286 motherboard from the first PC I ever had (from around 1990). It's sat in an antistatic bag, minus any simms, vga or multi-io card.

Thinking about the amount of games that were playable on a machine of this era (what were your favourites?) , do you think it is worthwhile building it back up into a working system again?

If you were building the ultimate 286 - how would you spec it?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 1 of 25, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first PC was also a 286/16. So I wanted to have one in my collection, no matter what. About 1,5 year ago, I found a 286 PC in an add, and I bought it. It is a DFI 286/16. I've put 2,5MB ram instead of 1 it had, a 287-8 fpu, changed the vga card because it was a lot brighter than the other vgas I have, and placed an external battery holder for 2 AA batteries. I've also replaced the original conner 40MB hd it had with a 128MB CF card. It also has 2 floppies, 3.5" and 5.25".
And last, one good mod I've done. The sound card. I've kept my first sound card which is an ESS688 based one. It is very compatible, but has some other features that I found very useful. It has an internal connector for speakers. So there I've connected two pc speakers, for stereo. Then I've connected the pc speaker out from the motherboard on the sound card. That way, I can hear the pc speaker, but I can also adjust the volume from the back side of the card. It also has a jumper that enables or disables the sound card. I've attached a switch on that, so that way I can disable it on will. (In case I want to play a game that auto detects the card, and can't disable it, and I want to play it using pc speaker....). So I don't need to attach any speakers on it. It can play up to a fairly good volume, and if I want to connect any speakers, it automatically disables the internal speakers.
So for me that's my ultimate 286! And I've been very lucky to find an identical motherboard on ebay, and bought it. So I think I'm going to have it for a long time!

Reply 2 of 25, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go for a 12MHz 286 with 0WS memory and SIMM slots and NEAT chipset.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 25, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am currently building a 12MHz 286, with 1MB RAM, 40MB ST251 hard drive and EGA graphics and monitor... so yeah, I figure its worthwhile, at least for the sake of a collection, or to investigate what its like working with that old gear.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 25, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get a Commodore Amiga 500, 600 or 1200 instead (or the 1000/2000/3000/4000 if you want one that looks like an old desktop PC)... I personally think they are better than a 286 for pretty much anything, especially when it comes to gaming and audio 😉

Reply 6 of 25, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Get a Commodore Amiga 500, 600 or 1200 instead (or the 1000/2000/3000/4000 if you want one that looks like an old desktop PC)... I personally think they are better than a 286 for pretty much anything, especially when it comes to gaming and audio 😉

Already got a 500+ and a heavily upgraded 1200 (72MHz 060, PCI etc).

I'm trying to remember just what games I actually played on this thing when I bought it - Wolfenstein 3d and Falcon are two that come to mind. I can't remember if I actually played Wing Commander on it or not.... I think I did....

Reply 7 of 25, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the 286?

I played stuff like Arctic Fox, Stellar 7, Lightspeed, Silent Service 2, Space Quest 3, Marble Madness, Grand Prix Circuit. I remember an uncle gave me a bunch of games like HardBall and Striker too. That's all I can remember right now.

You could run Falcon 3 but I'd expect like 10 fps.

Wing Commander and Wolf3D are what I got for my 486 in '92.

Reply 8 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also "had to" play Wing Commander on a 12 MHz 286. Even it EGA, the game hat to convert all the graphics and that took ages.

It must have been a slideshow but I still finished it 😁

Reply 9 of 25, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
On the 286? […]
Show full quote

On the 286?

I played stuff like Arctic Fox, Stellar 7, Lightspeed, Silent Service 2, Space Quest 3, Marble Madness, Grand Prix Circuit. I remember an uncle gave me a bunch of games like HardBall and Striker too. That's all I can remember right now.

You could run Falcon 3 but I'd expect like 10 fps.

Wing Commander and Wolf3D are what I got for my 486 in '92.

It definitely wasn't Falcon 3 😁 I've just checked the box now (still have the game!) and it's 'Falcon AT'... it was a budget release, but (and this is a sign of the times!) the manual is still 120+ pages thick!

Wolfenstein 3d was quite playable, from what I remember - I had to wait for my 386SX-40 until I could play Doom though!.

Reply 10 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of Sierra games run really well on a 286. Especially the very old ones. Lemmings or prince of persia are other great games.

The DOS version of Elite was another game I played on a 286.

Reply 12 of 25, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

A lot of Sierra games run really well on a 286. Especially the very old ones. Lemmings or prince of persia are other great games.

The DOS version of Elite was another game I played on a 286.

Argh! Prince of bleedin' Persia!

That game nearly drove me insane back then with all those pixel-perfect jumps... grrrrr!

Reply 13 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wouldn't Stunts run on a 286 al well?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 25, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would think so... it had very primitive 3d graphics, and it runs well at full detail on my 386, so presumably if it you turn down the detail it should work on a 286.

Just checked mobygames and its minimum processor is a 286.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 16 of 25, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are quite a few basic 3D games that will run on a 286. They are all of the flat shaded variety AFAIK and run at like 10 fps though. It all seemed fine at the time of course.

I've even tried some of these games on an IBM XT with CGA. Slower but you could still play.

Reply 17 of 25, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the replies - I think I'm going to try and put something together around my original PC motherboard and processor 😀

The needed components seem to be fairly readily available - the only part that seems relatively expensive are ISA VGA cards (I'm going VGA as the system originally had one)... so that might take a bit longer to get.

Only thing I am now thinking about is to try and find a case that is quite compact... I just don't have the room for the typical tower case! Any more tower cases and I won't have room for my legs under the desk!!!

This might be a problem as there are plenty of nice ATX designs, but something to fit a baby AT board might be a bit more of a struggle 😁

(excuse the mess - been putting some electronic kits together today)

Attachments

• Webcam-1301256120.jpeg
    Filename
    Webcam-1301256120.jpeg
    File size
    21.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 25, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Wouldn't Stunts run on a 286 al well?

The first time I played 4D Sports Driving(that's Stunts' european name) , it was in 1992-93 on my 286. And I remember it playing fine.

I'm trying to remember the games I used to play on that. I think the most popular games of our small group of computer crazy school friends were some like : prince of persia, titus the fox, the blues brothers, lemmings, the comander keens, fire and forget 2, and the very nice bball(I think it was called "lakers vs celtics"). Of course there were much more titles, but these few come in my mind right now!

Reply 19 of 25, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I went over to my mum and dad's place this evening and took a look around the attic to find the 286 board... there's sucky news, bad news and good news:

Sucky news: CMOS battery was all furred up and a couple of copper components at the base of the battery had turned green - luckily I think I caught it soon enough and have now removed the battery and cleaned the area with acetone. It doesn't appear as though any damage has occured to the PCB.

Bad news: No docs or manual. I kinda guessed I didn't keep these, but it would have been nice to know the manufacturer, memory capacity and what the various DIL sockets are for.

Good news: Although compact, it's actually a really nice board - it has an AMI BIOS, a socket for an 80287, 4x 30pin simm sockets, 4x 16bit and 2x 8bit ISA slots. There's also a rather large Headland HT12 surface mount chip on the board - not sure what it actually is for, along with 4 empty 41256 and 8 44256 DIL sockets above the simm sockets. Only markings I can find on the board itself are "GW-286" and a part number of "EP40008R32"; there's no manufacturer that I can see.

And here it is:

Attachments

• Filename
    P1010719.JPG
    File size
    162.51 KiB
    Downloads
    288 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception