VOGONS

First post, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello forum!
After some DAYS of searching, I don't seem to be able to find what to do to have functional USB ports on my 430vx motherboard under Windows 95OSR2.5

In the past I've made it work with the supplement and the drivers for 430tx directly from Intel.
But now I cannot find any appropriate driver and every one I tried didn't remove the question mark in the device manager.
So is it not going to function? Is there any solution? Please help! 😕

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 1 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I could never get USB going under W95. That's the main reason I prefer using W98 SE, even on boards with TX chipset.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 17, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have u installed the two usb suplements from the windows 95 cd?
They have to be installed after u finished installing windows 95,after that u install chipset drivers and finally this usb driver.
http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html
Also don't forget to check the usb conector if it's cables corespond to the usb pinout on the motherboard.

Reply 3 of 17, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The usb supplements and the pinout is correct, but I don't seem to be able to find the correct chipset/usb driver as none of what I've found removes the question mark. 🙁

On intel's site the isn't any 430vx driver as far as my search skills tell me. 😜

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 5 of 17, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it may need an appropriate INF Updater
ftp://ftp.fisio.cinvestav.mx/Updates/Microsoft/Windows/Win95 - readme & other USB supplements here, and looks like this is the file
ftp://ftp.fisio.cinvestav.mx/Updates/Microsof … 5-2-setupex.exe

Reply 6 of 17, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, that was the kind of answer I was hoping for!
Thanks, will try it and post feedback in a day or two. 😀

Reply 7 of 17, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I guess I'm out of luck this time.
The inf updater indeed updated some files, but the exclamation mark was never removed.

I formatted it and installed 98se from scratch. Now the controller is installed, but I have an exclamation mark at the root hub...
So I guess it can't be helped...
I'm currently searching for the fastest and easiest available method of file transferring between a windows 8 pc and this. Via ethernet I suppose?
I installed a 3com pci lan card and now the old machine has internet, but I'm totally dumb on ftp file transfers and how to set them up... 😒

Reply 8 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm maybe the USB port is faulty? Windows 98SE is quite good with USB support. Intel, VIA, ALI, it supports them all.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 17, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My favourite Pentium 1 is a 430VX-based system (Triton II), and I can confirm USB works perfectly fine for me under 98SE.

EDIT: why not just transfer files over a local network share? That's what I do sometimes...just create a shared folder on your internal LAN and point the UNC path to the computer that needs to access it.

I'd also like to add that Triton II machines are pretty exotic due to the bizarre memory intel implemented, I don't know of many [others] with them. I do happen to own a handful of 128 MB EDO DIMMs.

Reply 10 of 17, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, I want this system for dos and windows 3.11 really, so the usb would have helped for transferring files in it.
Network sharing between an 64bit windows 8 machine and win 9x just does not work, the windows 8 pc finds the shared folder, but I'm out of ideas what to input for username and pass when it asks...

Reply 11 of 17, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GeorgeMan wrote:

Network sharing between an 64bit windows 8 machine and win 9x just does not work, the windows 8 pc finds the shared folder, but I'm out of ideas what to input for username and pass when it asks...

It does work. Just share the whole harddrive with full access in Win9x. Then you have full access to that machine on your modern computer and can copy over the files you need. I use this system on all my 486+ systems. If you try and access the Windows 7/8 computer from the Win9x you get a username/password prompt, so it only works one way.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 12 of 17, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tried to share the whole hard drive in 98.
I gave a full access password, and I have enabled the file sharing. Also, on win 8 side, I've turned network discovery on and disabled security to the point the OS leaves me.
But I still get the username/password thingy on the 8 machine, when trying to access the 9x shared folder, which it indeed discovers correctly.
What am I doing wrong here?

Reply 13 of 17, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just another idea to think about, I've setup a basic ftp server on my main machine (configured only for local access, service running manually etc) and I just run an ftp client on the machine I want to transfer the files. There are ftp clients for everything, dos, win3.1... so this always works as long as you have a network card functioning. You don't even need to deal with windows file sharing, problems between different versions and all these.

As for your last post, it's not clear what additional things you might have tried, but if you haven't already create on the newer machine a user account exactly as that of the windows 98 pc.
It should have worked though by just writing on the window asking for username/password
user: <WIN98 MACHINE NAME>\<win98 user>
pass: <win98 user password>
(yes, with machine name before user)

Reply 14 of 17, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried sharing a specific folder with a specific username and password on the 9x machine? Sorry, don't have a 9x machine here, and I can't remember if this option exists.

Having a NAS is great for that. Every machine with SMB or NFS support can access shares. All Linux/Android/Windows machines at my house can share files without any problems whatsoever, regardless of OS version.

Seconding the FTP option if you can't get SMB to work.

Reply 15 of 17, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are using W9x only for file transfer: That's not really necessary. WfW 3.11 can do TCP/IP, at the time I connected it to another machine running Linux with Samba. I don't know about the driver situation, though - the NIC I used at the time was automatically detected by WfW 3.11.

Reply 16 of 17, by Holering

User metadata

You have to install the usbsupp package in the Windows 95 OSR2.5 cdrom. It's in the

CDRIVE:other\updates\usb

folder. Install usbsupp.exe (this is a royal pain because you must finish an entire scandisk), reboot and install USBUPD2.EXE (this one finishes without any prompt) and reboot again. It's a pain but this gives you USB 🤣.