VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I'd like to ask your experiences about which components (ICs, heatsinks, cards, passive/active components) you found over the years running at high temperatures at STOCK frequencies/voltages considering the sizes of building processes available at the time they were built.

In my past and actual experience I found running at high temperatures these parts:

1) Overdrive 66Mhz (486) 5v (stock with passive slim heatskin, impossible to press)
2) M3D (PCX2) PCI 4MB (stock without any heatsink unconfortable to long press)
3) K6 233Mhz 3,2v (with a stock 3 cm heatsink plus fan) still warm a lot the case I've built
4) V3 2000 AGP (stock slim heatinsk with a strong Athlon it gets hot quiet close to the Overdrive)
5) Savage 2K 32M (with a big stock heatsink running hot even if not that much I ever heard)
6) Athlon 1000 on socket (run hot but I remember the 1100 runnning much higher but probably not)
7) (off topic) X360 first revision...( 😵 )

Let's hear yours!

Bye

Last edited by 386SX on 2015-01-23, 21:04. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

V3 AGP gets extremely hot. I always perform my mod with a 80mm fan.

Yeah and still could be clocked at very high freqs for those times. Mine could run with double fan mod at the impressive 181/181Mhz.

Reply 3 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The VRMs on my STB GLyder get alarmingly hot - not even something I'd want to try touching while it's on. I'm sure the part is rated to something outstanding like 95* C or 105* C or somesuch though, and the card seems to have no issues with it. While not retro, Radeon HD 4870X2 probably takes the "prize" for overall hottest running hardware I've ever owned though - loading temperatures in the mid-80s (that's centigrade) were not uncommon at all, and TDP is something like 300W - it didn't just get hot, it would heat up the entire computer, room, etc.

Somewhat inversely, I expected Pentium 4 Extreme Edition to run alarmingly hot, and instead it actually runs fairly cool - the heatsink has never gotten too hot to touch, and BIOS reports temperatures in the 30-40* C range depending on load.

Reply 5 of 9, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

Somewhat inversely, I expected Pentium 4 Extreme Edition to run alarmingly hot, and instead it actually runs fairly cool - the heatsink has never gotten too hot to touch, and BIOS reports temperatures in the 30-40* C range depending on load.

Have you tried measuring it during a stress test? Intel probably went full throttle on power saving measures like SpeedStep on the P4 EE to counter some of NetBurst shortcomings. Regardless, though, my C2D ran hotter than that. I bet the P4 Extreme Edition comes with a good heatsink and cooler.

The Pentium MMX on my Compaq is hot to touch. this makes me want to install a cooler there.
I had a GT 8600 reach over 100ºC (and throttle). The fan was a bit hard to rotate, and a drop of oil solved it for a while (back to under 75ºC under load), but eventually I had to ditch the fan.
I also had a GS 450 reaching 100ºC even after blowing the dust (fan was fine), removing the heatsink and applying a good thermal paste solved it (under 72ºC under load), and it seems to be holding up just fine.
My GT 6600 seems to run fine (under 70ºC, but I never tested it without the AC on) but making far too much noise and sewing machine oil doesn't help for more than a day, ordered a new HS+fan combo
My old GT 250 ran as cool as the GS 450

Well, that's all I can remember

Reply 6 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alexanrs wrote:

Have you tried measuring it during a stress test? Intel probably went full throttle on power saving measures like SpeedStep on the P4 EE to counter some of NetBurst shortcomings. Regardless, though, my C2D ran hotter than that. I bet the P4 Extreme Edition comes with a good heatsink and cooler.

There's nothing in BIOS about SpeedStep options, and it does not appear to cycle its clockspeed (e.g. in CPU-Z sitting on the desktop it's still 3200MHz). According to Wikipedia SpeedStep wasn't introduced for desktop Pentium 4 until Prescott. Heatsink wise, it's nothing that exotic, but it isn't the Intel stock sink.

When it's under stress it still isn't too hot to touch or cycle the fan up to 100% (BIOS says that happens at 60* C), but I haven't gotten a measurement during such. 😊

Reply 7 of 9, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My fanless Pentium II 450 used to get quite hot. That was my fault, though - the machine was also fanless, save for the power supply fan. I added a single 80mm exhaust fan and it cooled down significantly.

The internal case temperature used to be so high that CDs would be hot to the touch after sitting in the CD-ROM drive for a while... 😳

PCGames9505

Reply 9 of 9, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

-Radeon 9800 Pro. While the tiny heatsink does keep it cool enough (barely) in PIII and Athlon XP systems, it does show signs of heat-related stress when a 2.64GHz Athlon 64 is pumping data through it.

-Mobile P4 524. This 88w CPU starts throttling after 10 minutes of use.

-My old Palomino core Athlon XP 2000+ would quite toasty after a few hours of Divx encoding. Never hot enough to cause any problems, but the heatsink would be too hot to touch for more than a few seconds.

-My G80 based 8800GTSs would routinely hit 85C under load. The two cards being right next to each other in an SLI configuration certainly didn't help.

-Pentium II "Klamath" 300MHz - Compaq actually had the balls to passively cool this CPU in the Deskpro 4000 it originally shipped in. Though it never locked up, the heatsink was always far too hot to handle. On hot summer days I'd sometimes even smell it--or perhaps dust on the heatsink--burning. Needless to say, I eventually added a fan.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!