VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

topic shall be self-explanatory.
are there any dos games demanding pentium+16mb or higher as minimum requirement, and uses 16bit colors video mode?

Reply 1 of 17, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there DOS games requiring Pentium? Sure lots.
Tomb Raider and Quake come to mind. While they "run" on a 486, they are quite slow without Pentium.
I am quite sure there are also games that require 16MB of RAM as well.

No idea about high color/true color in DOS games.

Reply 2 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Extreme Assault is one of those and can even use MMX for bilinear filtering some sprites.

Armored Fist 2 can really choke also, probably even more so than Comanche 3.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 17, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tunnel B1 (not a very well known game) that has 16-bit colours video mode requires quite a fast Pentium based CPU to run smoothly.
Problem is that this game doesn't support 3D hardware (all rendering is done in software).

Basically, any SVGA (640x480 or higher) based DOS game requires a Pentium CPU to run smoothly (Duke Nukem 3D and Privateer 2 also comes to mind).

Reply 4 of 17, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always found Blood was very prone to slowdown, even on some fast Pentium II machines... In fact, it still occasionally hiccuped on an Athlon 1500+ as well as if you put the CD in, you have to wait for the track to loop every time it ends. Woefully inefficient in my opinion.

Comanche 3 is heavy, but at least it has good reasons for it. Blood's revision of the Build engine was optimized for Pentium processors as far as I remember, though actually running it well on a Pentium is a bit of a big ask and rarely produces good results unless you crank all the settings down, especially later versions such as 1.21 where it ran even worse and was almost unplayable on the 75MHz Pentium baseline they had set.

Last edited by HighTreason on 2015-03-07, 09:58. Edited 1 time in total.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 5 of 17, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Grand Prix 2

Reply 6 of 17, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe Fallout demanded 32MB in DOS.

Reply 7 of 17, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:
Are there DOS games requiring Pentium? Sure lots. Tomb Raider and Quake come to mind. While they "run" on a 486, they are quite […]
Show full quote

Are there DOS games requiring Pentium? Sure lots.
Tomb Raider and Quake come to mind. While they "run" on a 486, they are quite slow without Pentium.
I am quite sure there are also games that require 16MB of RAM as well.

No idea about high color/true color in DOS games.

quake also came to my mind but it would run with 8mb ram minimal, and i did run it on a 486, so it doesn't count as "pentium required".
even quake2 was rumored to run on 386+387 rigs with 16 or 24mb ram, although i have never seen for myself. i only ran it on the same 486.

Reply 8 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MDK really demanded a Pentium. It'll refuse to run if you fail the speed check at the start.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 17, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always considered Carmageddon to be quite demanding.
Also Screamer 2 in software mode ... never ran at a "full" framerate with up to 700MHz.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 10 of 17, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

MDK really demanded a Pentium. It'll refuse to run if you fail the speed check at the start.

Won't it run on a fast 486 with -486willbeslow ? If so, how much slower than say a Pentium 60 or 75 would it be?

Reply 11 of 17, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

Grand Prix 2

I remember playing that on my 486 DX2-66. In my memory it ran ok, but 15FPS was acceptable back then, so I don't trust my memory that much in this regard 😀

Reply 12 of 17, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pyl?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 13 of 17, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quake , Tomb Raider, any build engine game, will all benefit alot from a Pentium with 16-32MB of RAM. Warcraft II will run on a 486 but really would benefit from something better too.

I also remember Wing Commander III recommending a Pentium 60 for SVGA mode, and even on a Pentium 133 it still has some minor slowdown at times (particularly when very close to a large ship)

Reply 14 of 17, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
devius wrote:
carlostex wrote:

Grand Prix 2

I remember playing that on my 486 DX2-66. In my memory it ran ok, but 15FPS was acceptable back then, so I don't trust my memory that much in this regard 😀

I think the point is running games with everything maxed out. Try SVGA with all details and frame rate at 25.6 and even a Pentium 233MMX will crawl at times. Specially at Monaco.

Reply 15 of 17, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate software that tries to be smart and takes the option away from the user.

Reply 16 of 17, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I've read, The Elder Scrolls: Battlespire is supposed to be very demanding.

Reply 17 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On topic of BUILD games, they don't really demand a Pentium. The engine is entirely integer, one could say they demand a Cyrix or K5 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem