VOGONS

First post, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, i was given 3 months ago a really cool server from 2000, and it came with really neat stuff like multi-processor board (coppermine) and 5 SCSI hard drives connected to this SCSI controller:

20160802_232130_zpspm7dzmcq.jpg

It's a Acceleraid170 from Mylex. I had to test it on a Athlon 3200+ because the board from the old server is still in repairs (new caps and other stuff), and while i was experimenting SCSI for the first time by navigating through the menus of the controller card (after computer post, not inside windows), the computer started acting strange going black, i powered it on it worked fine again untill it didn't power anymore if the controller card was inserted in it's pci slot. Same symptoms on other computers. Tried everything like reflow, replacing the voltage regulator but nothing works. The leds on the card come on, but the the computer won't post if the card is plugged in, only spinning fans.

So i guess that the bios chip on the controller card gave up or something else died on it.

I really wanted to play with these 5 SCSI 40GB (each) hard drives, so my question is..Was i just merely unlucky and i should i get another controller? Or is this something i should stay away from because of high failure rate?
Should i get away from the Mylex brand or are they a good brand? I'm confused about what to do next.

I already got a few controllers in mind from ebay like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Netraid-Storage-Co … HkAAMXQVT9SwAcK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAID-Controller-MYLEX … Q0AAOSwK7FWhVrB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mylex-Ultra-2-PCI-SCS … 4cAAOSwFnFV9TzQ
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mylex-D040461-8E-Acce … B4AAOSw0HVWCsiH

None of these seem to be as good as the one i got before i think, but this is not my area of expertise. Would any of these be worth the shot for 5 SCSI hard drives?

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 3 of 8, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the old server case it didn't have any cooling of any sort near or far from it, and i tested it on a board outside of a case 😐

You can see here the old case were it came from, and the card itself when it was still inside of it.

IMG_20160423_194905_zpshnyezv4s.jpg

And if you're wondering, there's no fan in the front panel of the case.

Maybe there should be one from the beginning (16 years ago), and when i took the card out it was on it's way out?

Reply 4 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to play with scsi, cards like Adaptec 29160 or 39160 should be easy enough to find for little money these days.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 6 of 8, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really wanted to play with these 5 SCSI 40GB (each) hard drives, so my question is..Was i just merely unlucky and i should i get another controller? Or is this something i should stay away from because of high failure rate?
Should i get away from the Mylex brand or are they a good brand? I'm confused about what to do next.

I bought one of these used on eBay back in 2004 because I had good luck with another Mylex DAC960 RAID controller around 2000. My AcceleRIAD 170 had an annoying problem that on every cold boot it would complain about unwritten data in the BBU, but I didn't have a BBU attached. I replaced it with a dual channel PCI-X version (AcceleRAID 352); it worked perfectly and it was faster.

Reply 7 of 8, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

29160/39160 are good calls - cheap and they work on all modern versions of Windows (using the 7 driver), plus all the Unixes.

SCSI can be irritating and expensive to use, but it's quite neat. Looks like you're using Ultra160/320 SCSI there, which is a whole heap easier to use than previous parallel SCSI standards.

I've still got a load of old SCSI hard drives (not worth using, too noisy and low capacity), some CDROM drives (still useful in some cases), and a couple of scanners (also useful).

SCSI is also a lot more cross platform than IDE, my SGI O2 system takes SCA80 SCSI disks for instance, and the old Sparcstation some form of SCSI 2.

It's far too easy to find duff SCSI1/2 cables, coupled with termination issues can make any issue awkward to diagnose. LVD SCSI is more reliable. Modern SAS is basically plug and play, and also supports SATA drives, with some caveats.

SCSI is a lot more complex than IDE/ATAPI, so the number of drivers available less. Memory usage in DOS is likely to be higher.

Reply 8 of 8, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenerb wrote:

You might try pulling the ram from that card and see if it works.

I did, also checked the bios battery and it was fine, and couldn't find any short in any capacitor (although it doesn't mean it's fine, but at least it should post something).

I ended up buying the SCSI controller in the first link i gave because it was cheap, but i might take a look later on on those Adaptec 29160 or 39160 that stamasd mentioned.

I hope this controller i'm going to get from ebay last a little more.