VOGONS

First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all,

I have an AT board (286/16, I recently built it in an ESCOM box) that I bought had a severe leak on it - I cleaned it up and replaced the battery, and it worked. For a few months.

This is the board:

http://th99.classic-computing.de/src/m/U-Z/33124.htm

Now it'll POST like usual, but there is a Keyboard Error. The Keyboard does light up its LEDS upon start, but I think there's no clock signal getting to the keyboard controller from the onboard 8042.

Does anyone know what the DIN pin 1 connects to on the motherboard side? Which IC or other component feeds the clock pulse? I've probed around this board with a multimeter set in impedance mode and I can't get any indication of where it goes. I especially concentrated around the crystal area. All other pins go somewhere: I checked ground and VCC and those are fine. As well, the DATA pin on the DIN plug does go to PIN 39 on the MBL8042H keyboard controller. I can't for the life of me see where pin 1 connects to, and I've tried on another 386SX non-posting board I have lying around. I unsoldered the DIN connector from the board and cleaned it up, resoldered it, and that did not help.

Another weird thing too - This motherboard has the option of External Keyboard - I can't map CLOCK to it either:

hF33Xkc.png

Seriously, where does the CLOCK signal come from???

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 1 of 4, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's the keyboard that sends the clock. So when you press a key on keyboard, it will send out data with clock, otherwise if you don't press any keys you won't see anything.

As far as I know, the 8042 is a generic microcontroller, there is no generic pin the clock will go, so any implementation can connect anywhere it wants to.

So you just need to find out where a trace has been disconnected.

Reply 2 of 4, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Huh. A 286 motherboard with an aux keyboard pinout? That's amazing. Use a multimeter to check for connectivity between the original keyboard port and the pinout on the board itself for the clock.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 3 of 4, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 I was just thinking that the clock controller might be on the bloody keyboard!

I'm gonna go home in a few hours and take apart a keyboard and check all the connections there - I'm sure it's getting +5 and GND because the LEDS light up. I'll try to feed the keyboard some power (5V source) and see if the LEDS do the same thing (maybe it's a small keyboard POST?)

Any ideas how I would check to see if there's a clock pulse to the MB? I don't have a scope...

Reply 4 of 4, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK so here's what it looks like:

p3uOf4kh.jpg

Not the prettiest soldering, but it's just temporary (Here I bridged the data line directly to the keyboard controller pin 39)

By the way, all the traces show continuity despite their apparent shape.

mWaGVwfh.jpg

I also booted the board without the keyboard BIOS - Didn't POST but keyboard lit up LED - I believe it's a keyboard POST of some sort that just needs power. I put in the other controller from the 386SX board - POSTed but still gave keyboard error.

How many layers do these boards have? I held yet a third board up to a strong light (a 386SX) that is from a similar time to the 286, similar format - It looks like it has two layers, but sometimes I think I can see a middle layer in there. Am I imagining that?

This is a neat 386 DX board I have that works - Notice how you can see all the traces compared to the 286

H8MO4wKh.jpg

i8zZhoR.jpg

Should I just go ahead and retrace all the damaged trace lines on the board? What else does anyone suggest?