VOGONS

First post, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-LAPC-1-LA-Sou … &orig_cvip=true

geez! $1025! though seller claims it's new-old-stock, I find that claim a bit shady.. looking closely the pieces don't exactly look new. I hate to think what an SCC would go for.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 2 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They've been up around that price for years now I think? They truly fall into the collectors item category in my mind - you can still get an MT-32 for reasonable money and there are plenty of options for intelligent MPU-401s these days. Same goes for the SCC1.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, if you want intelligent mode, just get a HardMPU card or a v2 MusicQuest remake card.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 11, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn! I guess i best hold onto mine that I picked up in a plain brown box of that same size and type from a Goodwill for about $10 USD back in the early 2000s then?! Only thing I never like about the card was that it had hanging note issues as I recall, and the fact that it is such a large expansion card being a full size card, but the tower PC I have it in, didn't have brackets for the back of it, so I have a small box or something under it that supports it inside the case it is installed in.

Had no idea these were fetching that kind of money. Now that I have an MT-32 and my MT-200 maybe I should look at selling it?!

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 6 of 11, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeap it got to be so bad in the TX97E Asus board I have it installed in, that I had the reset sysex commands in batch files in the autoexec path statement so I could just type it at anytime. I remember it happening most when exiting Sierra games and I think when exiting the original Wing Commander.

g883j7-2.png

Reply 7 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CrossBow777 wrote:

Yeap it got to be so bad in the TX97E Asus board I have it installed in, that I had the reset sysex commands in batch files in the autoexec path statement so I could just type it at anytime. I remember it happening most when exiting Sierra games and I think when exiting the original Wing Commander.

Could it be timing issues with your vastly faster system than what it was designed for?

Reply 10 of 11, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
CrossBow777 wrote:

Could it be timing issues with your vastly faster system than what it was designed for?

I running on an MMX 233 with no issues

Reply 11 of 11, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
CrossBow777 wrote:

Possible I guess? But I actually have both primary and secondary cache disabled on that system when playing Wing Commander which drops it down according to benchmarks to about a 386 25mhz system in speed.

I haven't fired up that system in over 4 years, but it is an old Asus TX97e with an AMD K-5 200mhz in it, 32mb ram and like a 20gb HDD I believe? I also have it paired with an original release SB-16 that I added the DSP chip to for Q-sound support that was available separately back in the day. But I disabled the Midi addressing on the SB-16 and have the LAPC-I line out going into the Line-In on the SB-16 to provide the mixed audio output.

g883j7-2.png