VOGONS

First post, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-LAPC-1-LA-Sou … &orig_cvip=true

geez! $1025! though seller claims it's new-old-stock, I find that claim a bit shady.. looking closely the pieces don't exactly look new. I hate to think what an SCC would go for.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 2 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They've been up around that price for years now I think? They truly fall into the collectors item category in my mind - you can still get an MT-32 for reasonable money and there are plenty of options for intelligent MPU-401s these days. Same goes for the SCC1.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, if you want intelligent mode, just get a HardMPU card or a v2 MusicQuest remake card.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 11, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn! I guess i best hold onto mine that I picked up in a plain brown box of that same size and type from a Goodwill for about $10 USD back in the early 2000s then?! Only thing I never like about the card was that it had hanging note issues as I recall, and the fact that it is such a large expansion card being a full size card, but the tower PC I have it in, didn't have brackets for the back of it, so I have a small box or something under it that supports it inside the case it is installed in.

Had no idea these were fetching that kind of money. Now that I have an MT-32 and my MT-200 maybe I should look at selling it?!

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 5 of 11, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is a large card so hard to fit, but I’ve never come across hanging note issues, I’ve had the card since 92.

Reply 6 of 11, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeap it got to be so bad in the TX97E Asus board I have it installed in, that I had the reset sysex commands in batch files in the autoexec path statement so I could just type it at anytime. I remember it happening most when exiting Sierra games and I think when exiting the original Wing Commander.

g883j7-2.png

Reply 7 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CrossBow777 wrote:

Yeap it got to be so bad in the TX97E Asus board I have it installed in, that I had the reset sysex commands in batch files in the autoexec path statement so I could just type it at anytime. I remember it happening most when exiting Sierra games and I think when exiting the original Wing Commander.

Could it be timing issues with your vastly faster system than what it was designed for?

Reply 8 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

price of an iphone?
how much will iphone be worth after a few years?

Reply 9 of 11, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Prices are about what they were when the card was released, without taking inflation into account so still a bargain 😀

Reply 10 of 11, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
CrossBow777 wrote:

Could it be timing issues with your vastly faster system than what it was designed for?

I running on an MMX 233 with no issues

Reply 11 of 11, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
CrossBow777 wrote:

Possible I guess? But I actually have both primary and secondary cache disabled on that system when playing Wing Commander which drops it down according to benchmarks to about a 386 25mhz system in speed.

I haven't fired up that system in over 4 years, but it is an old Asus TX97e with an AMD K-5 200mhz in it, 32mb ram and like a 20gb HDD I believe? I also have it paired with an original release SB-16 that I added the DSP chip to for Q-sound support that was available separately back in the day. But I disabled the Midi addressing on the SB-16 and have the LAPC-I line out going into the Line-In on the SB-16 to provide the mixed audio output.

g883j7-2.png