VOGONS

First post, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, I tried this Pq1 CF card and it does not appear to be detected at all in startup POST screen nor in the BIOS, even though Pri Master Disk is set to auto detect the CHS values. It does not boot from 98SE boot CD either so I can't run fdisk, whereas with a normal hard drive you can boot from CD.

It is working with a card reader and I have formatted it as FAT, also tried BootIt to flip removable bit but does not seem to make a difference. It is on Primary and Master IDE channel and jumpers on adapter are in default position. The power and card detection LED on the CF IDE adapter lights but activity LED does not light. Does this mean the CF is not possible to be used in IDE mode at all? Seems unlikely that it is a faulty adapter.

Last edited by svfn on 2020-09-30, 00:49. Edited 1 time in total.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 1 of 1, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Incompatible cards are normally detected but just don't work (either freeze at POST or FDISK won't create any partitions).

It's impossible to say in this case, however, since there are hundreds of adapters and hundreds of different CF cards around, so some combinations might not work at all. You need to test either a second adapter or a second CF card to be sure.