VOGONS

First post, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello friends. I've recently installed a bunch of network cards in my old PCs setting up a subnet for them to share files easily. While overall I'm very happy with the results, trying to shut down the W95 and W98 has become a nightmare, particularly the former.

Both computers will kind of "hang" showing the command cursor and never actually reach the "you can safely shut down your computer now". Well, the W98 will, sometimes. I know I can just switch them off at that point, and that the hard drive isn't really doing anything. However, Windows will complain during boot and run Scandisk. I remember that Windows XP had some sort of "timeout to kill every process" that you could enable through the registry that would allow you to shut down those zombie processes that otherwise take a minute to kill, and I was wondering if there's something similar for these earlier OSs. I understand it's somehow related to being connected to the network, but to be honest, back in the day I barely knew how to set up dial-up, and never set up LAN under W98, much less W95, so maybe I'm missing some option somewhere.

Any hints?

Reply 1 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣, Win9x was infamous for it's inability to shutdown!

Below has the shutdown patches. Strangely I have the most luck not applying any Win9x patches at all but you may have a driver or something that breaks your ability to shutdown, do what works for you
https://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=90

Reply 3 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The patches won't but the kb articles may do. (you'll have to google the KB numbers though as Microsoft broke all the links)

Reply 7 of 13, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pewpewpew wrote on 2020-01-22, 11:51:

I never solved this problem with W98 patches in the day, but the workaround was remove inactive network cards. Shutdown didn't hang if the box was connected to a live network.

But they are connected to my home network :\ As I said, W98 might be working fine now, and the first few times where it didn't shut down properly may have been... well, anything else. It's Windows 98 after all.
On the Windows 95 machine, however, I have yet to see a proper shutdown.

Reply 9 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I might be biased, but I think I hear many people complaining about this issue with Dlink network cards ... 🤔 Maybe someone (me ?) should do some "benchmarks" about this issue and compare several brands of nics.
Use an intel nic or a 3com nic and your problems should be gone.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 11 of 13, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2020-01-22, 18:26:

Maybe someone (me ?) should do some "benchmarks" about this issue and compare several brands of nics.

If you do, also check for PCI vs ISA cards. For what memory is worth, I was pretty big on 3com when I last dealt with this.

Reply 12 of 13, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you are using File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks, maybe check if LM Announce is set to Yes and turn it off.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/longshut.htm

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames