VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 5640 of 53133, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Macintosh Plus probably needs a flyback transformer to repair the analog board. That is usually the first thing to go when they get old. They're starting to become difficult to find, though. It used to be you could find a dozen of them for sale on ebay on any given day but not any more.

Reply 5641 of 53133, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe the flyback transformer in this one is good since I get good raster (aside from the ripple caused by unregulated voltage). In my little experience with these when the flyback goes bad it takes out the HOT with it. It might be on its last legs, though.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 5642 of 53133, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After kind of restoring the case, I believe I can show it here:
My Compaq Deskpro 2000, alive and kicking!
pB70uyUl.jpg

I still need to finish restoring the stuff that held it in place, but so far, decent enough. Poor case even had holes drilled into it.

Reply 5643 of 53133, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice 202xi. I am finally getting round to getting one of these myself.

I tried a Gonbes GBS-8820 board as a cheap substitute but haven't had any luck getting it to work.
My application is connecting a CGA machine to a VGA monitor.

Reply 5644 of 53133, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So... I've been on a 3DFX kick lately and have picked up some nice stuff - primarily sealed/NOS. Thanks to Vetz, I found an extremely rare Voodoo4 4500 PCI MAC in Japan that is still on its way, as well as another sealed Voodoo2 1000 12MB PCI card and a Voodoo3 2000 16MB AGP, also sealed. I'll post pix of those when I get em, but for now.. on with the show!

3DFX Voodoo2 1000 12MB PCI #1 (NOS) (1998)
1jlnLm.jpg

3DFX Voodoo3 2000 16MB PCI (NOS) (1999)
PfMtai.jpg

3DFX Voodoo3 3000 16MB AGP (NOS) (1999)
r1j91N.jpg

3DFX Voodoo3 3000 16MB PCI (NOS) (1999)
A6gwQk.jpg

3DFX Voodoo4 4500 32MB AGP (EU) (NOS) (2000)
cCNkjA.jpg

3DFX Voodoo5 5500 64MB PCI (MAC) (US) (Boxed) (2000)
QQI5Dy.jpg

3DFX Voodoo5 5500 (US) 64MB PCI (NOS) (2000)
WElOBd.jpg

3DFX Voodoo5 5500 (MAC) (EU) 64MB PCI (Boxed) (2000)
CtTNrc.jpg

...and the non-3DFX stuff...

Matrox Millenium (MGA-MIL4SNI) 4MB WRAM PCI (NOB) (1995)
e3Zi1x.jpg
l3DINd.jpg

Rendition Vérité V1000-E - Intergraph Reactor 3D (Intense 3D 100) 4MB PCI (1996)
1d8V1P.jpg

Diamond Monster Sound MX300 (23010123-004) PCI (NOS) (1998)
829Yd7.jpg

Intel i740 - Real3D StarFighter SFP-140-A 24MB PCI (1998)
dSbARy.jpg

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Ultra - Diamond Viper V770U (NV5) (NOS) (1999)
l47nVj.jpg

NVIDIA GeForce3 Titanium Ti200 - MSI G3Ti200 Pro 64MB AGP (NV20) (Boxed) (2001)
OCxUgP.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 5645 of 53133, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those i740 PCI cards are interesting. I managed to find two of those with 24mb. Keep in mind, your BIOS or operating system may report them as 16mb because there are two separate blocks of memory. 8megs for framebuffer + 16mb for texture storage and it's the texture memory that gets reported.

There was also one of those Intergraph V1000 cards that ended on ebay yesterday but it was a zero feedback seller. I really wanted to bid on it, but didn't want to take the chance. I'll find someone reputable selling one someday.

Did all of those boxed Voodoo's come from the same seller? There was one on ebay recently selling a boxed Voodoo 3 that had a stack of more boxed Voodoo cards in the background of the photo.

Reply 5647 of 53133, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Those i740 PCI cards are interesting. I managed to find two of those with 24mb. Keep in mind, your BIOS or operating system may report them as 16mb because there are two separate blocks of memory. 8megs for framebuffer + 16mb for texture storage and it's the texture memory that gets reported.

There was also one of those Intergraph V1000 cards that ended on ebay yesterday but it was a zero feedback seller. I really wanted to bid on it, but didn't want to take the chance. I'll find someone reputable selling one someday.

Did all of those boxed Voodoo's come from the same seller? There was one on ebay recently selling a boxed Voodoo 3 that had a stack of more boxed Voodoo cards in the background of the photo.

Yeah, I did see that Intergraph card too but didn't feel good about it either. Two of the Voodoos came from that same seller you mentioned with the stack of boxes in the background - he's a cool guy with an insane collection of 3DFX stuff. At one point he had 3 or 4 Voodoo5 6000's but he's since sold all but one. The others came from all over the place.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 5649 of 53133, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

wall of 3Dfx cards

mlfw8713_small.jpg

Also, that i740 card seems really interesting. I've always wondered what the i740 is like, and how it performs.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 5650 of 53133, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sutekh94 wrote:

Also, that i740 card seems really interesting. I've always wondered what the i740 is like, and how it performs.

See http://vintage3d.org/i740.php (Putas' site) - roughly equivalent to Riva 128.
The 24MB PCI version is supposed to perform better.

Reply 5651 of 53133, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sutekh94 wrote:
http://mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/rsz/mlfw8713_small.jpg […]
Show full quote
Artex wrote:

wall of 3Dfx cards

mlfw8713_small.jpg

It's the fact that it's PCI and has onboard texture memory that makes it special. The AGP i740 cards have only the framebuffer memory on board. Textures are stored in system RAM and accessed through the AGP controller. What happens in that arrangement is that you can have the CPU and the video card trying to read from memory at the same time and a wait state has to be generated so either the CPU or the video card has to pause whatever it's doing while the other is accessing memory. Since memory accesses happen at thousands of times per second, frequent collisions between the CPU and the video card can cause the system to drag and hang. The PCI cards don't have this issue since they have a bridge chip that pretends to be an AGP controller between the video chip and the onboard texture memory. The CPU doesn't access that memory so no collisions and no collisions means game run faster overall with the PCI card than the AGP. The PCI cards are also harder to find. Intel gave up on i740 as a dedicated graphics card not long after they were released so their production run was cut short. What you see most of the time on ebay are AGP i740 cards, and they're not really rare at all. There's usually 3 or 4 of them for sale at most times. With the PCI cards, months or years can pass between sales.

Reply 5652 of 53133, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

So... I've been on a 3DFX kick lately and have picked up some nice stuff

Wow, these are very nice. Boxed (not to mention sealed) 3dfx cards are hard to get nowadays... and very expensive as well.

Anyway - here is the latest addition to my 3dfx collection. 😀
v2_1bauko.jpg

v2_2y8u7y.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 5653 of 53133, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really "hardware" in the sense of graphics/sound cards, but I got a Sidewinder 3D Pro . not the most ergonomic joystick , but good enough and has good DOS compatibility, which is important given Im planning to use it for Wing Commander (along with Mechwarrior2 in Windows)

Reply 5654 of 53133, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am not a huge fan of sound cards but here is what I got recently from my local computer shop for free besides paying around
14 euros for Vortex2 and 12 euros for Awe64 GOLD.

B1dIdC.jpg

DYjVvx.jpg

btlGgH.jpg

ocktRG.jpg

AHsd4e.jpg

ES0AiY.jpg

BqbXst.jpg

QOy5Cb.jpg

PfI4ii.jpg

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 5655 of 53133, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

Nice 202xi. I am finally getting round to getting one of these myself.

I tried a Gonbes GBS-8820 board as a cheap substitute but haven't had any luck getting it to work.
My application is connecting a CGA machine to a VGA monitor.

I think the GBS-8820 works well for the most part, but you have to make sure your cable is exactly right for your specific application. R G B is usually the easy part to connect, but it's when it comes to connecting the sync properly where everything starts to get complicated. Even with the Extron stuff, you have to make sure you are using the right cables and making sure everything is terminated (usually at 75 ohms) properly at the right location...great thing about the extron stuff is that they usually have switches built in to do this. I am waiting for some cables to arrive that I bought on eBay to start fiddling around. I may have to make my own cables for the most part though.

I am going to try CGA to VGA as well (My 80286 CGA card and my Tandy 1000 PC's to VGA).

I may create a topic about it when I get everything going. Hopefully it will all work.

Artex wrote:

So... I've been on a 3DFX kick lately and have picked up some nice stuff - primarily sealed/NOS. Thanks to Vetz, I found an extremely rare Voodoo4 4500 PCI MAC in Japan that is still on its way, as well as another sealed Voodoo2 1000 12MB PCI card and a Voodoo3 2000 16MB AGP, also sealed. I'll post pix of those when I get em, but for now.. on with the show!

All I can say is...WOW. It's almost every retrogamers dream to have all of those Voodoo cards, especially in the box. Great additions to your "museum"!

Reply 5656 of 53133, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

$_57.JPG
BOCARAM AT / PLUS for 23 euros and some 7 euros fee isnt very bad price for this whole package

$_57.JPG

Two 486 VLB board without an bios, but are very easy to fix.. I would defently sell the lefter motherboard.. (dont have intrest in that one)
But only in that chicony CH-471B rev 2.0 one.. So that makes 3 of these boards are here..

And this High capacity 8bit isa floppy controller ( i think its made by boca research, but iam not actually sure)
$_57.JPG

For now its missing some components.. I bought this card cheap, but saw the potential to solder it so make it an HDC controller as i wanted it.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 5657 of 53133, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

From the box: 400MHz Pentium II, 32MB RAM, and SVGA graphics as the minimum requirements. 😵 My guess is the player software is what drives that up, and as far as I know you have to use the associated software to get the hardware benefits from the card (but that could be entirely wrong - I'm basing everything off of the included instructions and documentation, which may or may not tell us the whole story). I can tell you it has no problems with a 2GHz P4... 🤣

I don't doubt that that's what's written on the box. My post was just from memory and not referring to this specific card, just MPEG2/DVD accelerator cards in general.
For example requirements for Sigma Designs Hollywood+: P133, 16MB RAM.
Posting about DXR3: Minimum P166. Actual experience with a P166: "System works fine on screen or outputting to Sony KV28WS2 as standard, but chugs somewhat if I ask it to output an anamorphic DVD to 4:3 (tested using The Matrix)."

I suppose your card is from 1999? The P2 400 only came out in 1998 and was quite expensive at first. For 2000 I'd expect support for ME/W2k on the box.

Reply 5658 of 53133, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Robin4: Please don't embed 1600x1200 images directly into the thread. I only see half the picture.

Mods: Can we please start a rule on this. Its happening all over. Should be a maximum size for embedding.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5659 of 53133, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is the syntax to embed images into your post.

Thanks

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks