VOGONS

First post, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Finally found some time to work on this Lenovo Thinkpad R61I TYPE 7650-E8G. Installing Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM causes the 0xD1, 0xF7 BSOD'S. Linux Mint has no issues booting with 4gb RAM. The BSOD's go away when installing with 2GB, but after i install windows and change to 4GB of RAM the BSOD's reappear. Tried different sticks of 2x2GB RAM but same results. The BIOS is 2.23 from lenovo. Any ideas how to fix this weird behavior? Will the Middleton BIOS fix this issue?

Socket 478 totally sucks.

Reply 1 of 15, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have several T61 and this issue never occured, they all run and got installed with 4GB (Win and Debian dual-boot).
Middleton BIOS fixes whitelists and enables SATAII as far as I remember.
Is your Windows 7 install media beyond all doubt / free of any corruption? Did you try a x64 setup?

Reply 2 of 15, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2024-04-24, 09:26:

I have several T61 and this issue never occured, they all run and got installed with 4GB (Win and Debian dual-boot).
Middleton BIOS fixes whitelists and enables SATAII as far as I remember.
Is your Windows 7 install media beyond all doubt / free of any corruption? Did you try a x64 setup?

The install media is a know good one, installed it many times on many pc's. Forgot to mention its x64 pro version. Tried x64 win 7 home pre, x32 win 7 but all gave me BSOD's too. On home pre it gave me 0xA and on x32 it gave me 0x19 BAD_POOL_HEADER. Any ideas?

Reply 3 of 15, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder if something faulty on the board can cause memory corruption issues beyond 2GB, in a way that just happens to upset Windows, but not Linux.

Did you try running Memtest with 2x2GB sticks installed?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 15, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also tried installing Windows XP Home SP3 and these weird artifacts appeared. Same goes for pro SP2. Any ideas what might be the cause of this?

Attachments

Reply 5 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Likely a driver or video hardware issue. Disable as many devices as you can in the bios to attempt to identify. Its also possible that there is a log or dump file you can grab.

Run memtest

If Linux works then verify by running software that requires the GPU and not just 2D, something equivalent to furmark.

Also in windows with 2gb run furmark and also disable as many devices as you can. Also try booting into safe mode with 4gb

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 15, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2024-04-24, 11:12:

Does your R61 have a dedicated graphic chip?
The T-models had heavy issues with ATI chips (defective video RAM), the Nvidias had the "Nvidia-bug".

I don't think so. I only saw the south bridge and the northbridge ( both intel)

DosFreak wrote on 2024-04-24, 10:02:
Likely a driver or video hardware issue. Disable as many devices as you can in the bios to attempt to identify. Its also possibl […]
Show full quote

Likely a driver or video hardware issue. Disable as many devices as you can in the bios to attempt to identify. Its also possible that there is a log or dump file you can grab.

Run memtest

If Linux works then verify by running software that requires the GPU and not just 2D, something equivalent to furmark.

Also in windows with 2gb run furmark and also disable as many devices as you can. Also try booting into safe mode with 4gb

Tried disabling pretty much everything i can find but same issue. Do you know where the logs of Win 7 install might be? I'm installing it form usb. Ill try running memtest.

Reply 8 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Possibly C:\windows\minidump but you should probably search for any *.dmp files.
Nirsoft bluescreenview is usually sufficient to view them.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 15, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem is the chipset. The GL960 chipset (the GM965 does not have this problem and can handle 2x 2GB RAM, the T61 fore xample has this better chipset) of the R61 officially only supports max. 2GB RAM in dual channel (2x 1GB). Unofficially, however, 2GB+1GB in dual channel = 3GB also run without problems.
I also have an eMachines laptop from 2008 with this chipset and run it with 3GB under Linux Mint. With 4GB RAM (2x 2GB) I also have these problems with this checkerboard pattern under Windows XP.
I guarantee you 100% that this is the reason. The 960 is a neutered version of the full 965, and also doesn't officially support an FSB of 800MHz.
Kind of reminds me of the Intel 815, which was also limited to 512MB RAM...
So a 2GB and 1GB module is the max. way to go with the GL960, and also works in Dual-Channel Mode.
You can only search for the Thinkpad T61 model with the better GM965 chipset, if you want to use 4GB RAM.

Reply 10 of 15, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2024-04-24, 12:47:

Possibly C:\windows\minidump but you should probably search for any *.dmp files.
Nirsoft bluescreenview is usually sufficient to view them.

Couldn't find it on the disk but I found critical errors in system event log about errors on \device\harddisk1\DR1.

NostalgicAslinger wrote on 2024-04-24, 13:26:
The problem is the chipset. The GL960 chipset (the GM965 does not have this problem and can handle 2x 2GB RAM, the T61 fore xamp […]
Show full quote

The problem is the chipset. The GL960 chipset (the GM965 does not have this problem and can handle 2x 2GB RAM, the T61 fore xample has this better chipset) of the R61 officially only supports max. 2GB RAM in dual channel (2x 1GB). Unofficially, however, 2GB+1GB in dual channel = 3GB also run without problems.
I also have an eMachines laptop from 2008 with this chipset and run it with 3GB under Linux Mint. With 4GB RAM (2x 2GB) I also have these problems with this checkerboard pattern under Windows XP.
I guarantee you 100% that this is the reason. The 960 is a neutered version of the full 965, and also doesn't officially support an FSB of 800MHz.
Kind of reminds me of the Intel 815, which was also limited to 512MB RAM...
So a 2GB and 1GB module is the max. way to go with the GL960, and also works in Dual-Channel Mode.
You can only search for the Thinkpad T61 model with the better GM965 chipset, if you want to use 4GB RAM.

Problem is Lenovo says that my Thinkpad has the 965 chipset, but HWinfo says that its GM965/GML960. Lenovo also says that it supports 4GB. It also crashes with 2560MB of RAM.

Reply 11 of 15, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only the T61 has the GM965 chipset, here are also more infos:
https://thinkwiki-de.translate.goog/R61?_x_tr … &_x_tr_pto=wapp

You can find the answer in this article:
Advantages: DVI via a docking station works; depending on the old board, the T61 board comes with extra mPCIe slots and has the better/faster chipset (R61:GL960 <-> T61:GM965) with the option of better processors.

kotel wrote on 2024-04-24, 15:19:

Problem is Lenovo says that my Thinkpad has the 965 chipset, but HWinfo says that its GM965/GML960. Lenovo also says that it supports 4GB. It also crashes with 2560MB of RAM.

Just remove the Northbridge cooler and you'll see if this is the 965 or 960 chipset. The tools always report GL960/GM965...

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(c ... press.html
From the comments of this page:
I have the same - You can stick up to 3GB of RAM into it - 2GB + 1GB.
But they have to be in one configuration only
2GB on closer to the motherboard IIRC.
Otherwise wont work.

4 GB 2x2GB - WONT work

Reply 12 of 15, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NostalgicAslinger wrote on 2024-04-24, 15:31:
Only the T61 has the GM965 chipset, here are also more infos: https://thinkwiki-de.translate.goog/R61?_x_tr … &_x_tr_pto=wapp […]
Show full quote

You can find the answer in this article:
Advantages: DVI via a docking station works; depending on the old board, the T61 board comes with extra mPCIe slots and has the better/faster chipset (R61:GL960 <-> T61:GM965) with the option of better processors.

kotel wrote on 2024-04-24, 15:19:

Just remove the Northbridge cooler and you'll see if this is the 965 or 960 chipset. The tools always report GL960/GM965...

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(c ... press.html
From the comments of this page:
I have the same - You can stick up to 3GB of RAM into it - 2GB + 1GB.
But they have to be in one configuration only
2GB on closer to the motherboard IIRC.
Otherwise wont work.

4 GB 2x2GB - WONT work

Whoops, my bad. It is Gl960. But the question still remains: why it BSOD's with bellow 3GB? The 2GB stick is the closest to mainboard and the 512MB stick, which is a know good one, is in the top slot. Ill try borrowing an 1GB stick form my laptops and see if that changes.

Reply 13 of 15, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kotel wrote on 2024-04-24, 15:56:

Whoops, my bad. It is Gl960. But the question still remains: why it BSOD's with bellow 3GB? The 2GB stick is the closest to mainboard and the 512MB stick, which is a know good one, is in the top slot. Ill try borrowing an 1GB stick form my laptops and see if that changes.

2x 1GB DDR2 667/800 is official support by the GL960 and 2GB+1GB unofficially, which most people like me drive. Also 4GB and 1GB = 5GB should work, here is a video for tuning up an Acer GL960 based Notebook:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=920NdUW7VEU

I have never tried out the 5GB mod, because a single 4GB SO-DIMM DDR2 module is too expensive for a 16 year old laptop.
The latest Linux Mint version runs very nice on my eMachines Notebook from 2008 with an T8100, 256GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD and 3GB memory.
I did not find any infos for 2560MB on the 960GL, but this could also be a problem for this chipset.
I think, that your Notebook runs fine with a single 2GB module?

The 2GB and 1GB combination should solve your problem, if not, then swap the modules in the slots and also clean the gold contacts of the memory modules with Isopropyl alcohol or spiritus.

Reply 14 of 15, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's not strictly true, as far as I know. According to the hardware maintenance manual, many R61 also have GM965. R61 upgrades to 8GB have been described on the Thinkpad forums.

Some 15.4" wide R61 do have GML960 (GL960?), but the 7650-E8G is not one of them, if the above HMM is to be believed. Then again, OP's machine may not have the original motherboard, or there may be a mistake in the HMM. Certainly, if the checkerboard pattern as you say is a common symptom, this does sound like the same issue. And I also understand OP found the GL960 markings on the chip.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 15 of 15, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NostalgicAslinger wrote on 2024-04-24, 16:13:
2x 1GB DDR2 667/800 is official support by the GL960 and 2GB+1GB unofficially, which most people like me drive. Also 4GB and 1GB […]
Show full quote
kotel wrote on 2024-04-24, 15:56:

2x 1GB DDR2 667/800 is official support by the GL960 and 2GB+1GB unofficially, which most people like me drive. Also 4GB and 1GB = 5GB should work, here is a video for tuning up an Acer GL960 based Notebook:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=920NdUW7VEU

I have never tried out the 5GB mod, because a single 4GB SO-DIMM DDR2 module is too expensive for a 16 year old laptop.
The latest Linux Mint version runs very nice on my eMachines Notebook from 2008 with an T8100, 256GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD and 3GB memory.
I did not find any infos for 2560MB on the 960GL, but this could also be a problem for this chipset.
I think, that your Notebook runs fine with a single 2GB module?

The 2GB and 1GB combination should solve your problem, if not, then swap the modules in the slots and also clean the gold contacts of the memory modules with Isopropyl alcohol or spiritus.

1GB in the slot closest to mainboard and 2GB in the top slot seems to run stably.

dr_st wrote on 2024-04-24, 19:50:

That's not strictly true, as far as I know. According to the hardware maintenance manual, many R61 also have GM965. R61 upgrades to 8GB have been described on the Thinkpad forums.

Some 15.4" wide R61 do have GML960 (GL960?), but the 7650-E8G is not one of them, if the above HMM is to be believed. Then again, OP's machine may not have the original motherboard, or there may be a mistake in the HMM. Certainly, if the checkerboard pattern as you say is a common symptom, this does sound like the same issue. And I also understand OP found the GL960 markings on the chip.

I do not know the backstory of this machine as I saved it from getting scraped. Indeed, I did find GL960 markings on chip. Can someone confirm that Windows will BSOD with 2x2GB 667Mhz or slower? I'm using only 800Mhz 2x2GB RAM as since I do not have any slower sticks.