VOGONS

First post, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was watching RMCs video on console ports of Mad Dog McCree and I found out that there was a PC version of the 3do gun that supported a light gun on vga monitors.
It connected via the parallel port and the gameport.

After some digging I found a video from a youtuber called bite size thoughts demonstrating it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxOo_8q_rOs

and that got me thinking were there any other pc games in the 90s that had a native light gun option or is this the only instance of that.

LGN.PNG

Reply 1 of 9, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

INteresting question. I love games like Mad Dog, I played through who shot johnny rock last year and I know there are other games similar to it. I wonder if games like Virtual Cop can use a gun.

Reply 2 of 9, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

House of the dead series by Sega

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 3 of 9, by MikeSG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sega had a light gun for Virtua Cop 1 & 2. Don't know about compatibility...

Reply 5 of 9, by Tripredacus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, House of the Dead is even worse than you think. There is a VGA pass-through device that mounts in an open slot that is required for the light-gun to work. It adds the flashing to the screen. As far as I can tell, this VGA pass-through was only sold with the House of the Dead/Virtua Gun combo pack sold in Japan. This pack is extremely rare and last time I looked there was only one for sale for multiple thousands of dollars. It seems odd that all of the Sega IF card manuals say you can use this device and then the only documented place to get it was just a multi-pack. It makes me think that the device was available some other way, but I don't think the documentation mentions where to get it.

If anyone has any further info on this part, I'd like to know. I have been unable to find it by itself either.

Reply 6 of 9, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems like the best way to do light gun games these days is not natively, but via the sinden gun and emulators.

I must admit that it does appear very, very tempting

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 7 of 9, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tripredacus wrote on 2024-05-24, 19:53:

No, House of the Dead is even worse than you think. There is a VGA pass-through device that mounts in an open slot that is required for the light-gun to work. It adds the flashing to the screen. As far as I can tell, this VGA pass-through was only sold with the House of the Dead/Virtua Gun combo pack sold in Japan. This pack is extremely rare and last time I looked there was only one for sale for multiple thousands of dollars. It seems odd that all of the Sega IF card manuals say you can use this device and then the only documented place to get it was just a multi-pack. It makes me think that the device was available some other way, but I don't think the documentation mentions where to get it.

If anyone has any further info on this part, I'd like to know. I have been unable to find it by itself either.

Did you read the article above your post? It explains the options.

Contains the vga adapter:
IF-SEGA2/PCI
IF-SEGA2/ISA

Does not contain the vga adapter:
IF-SEGA2L/PCI
IF-SEGA2L/ISA
IF-SEGA/ISA
IF-SEGA2/98

Vga adapter on it's own:
IF-SEGA2L/EX

Bundle with house of the dead:
IF-SEGA2/HOD

Reply 8 of 9, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BITD, when 8 bits were still a thing, there were a number of light guns for 8 bit computers that were meant to be used on TVs. CGA displays were not much different from TVs, so I wonder if there were PC versions of that light guns...

EDIT: Yep, the Gunstick had a PC version that connected to parallel port. This page has a list of the (spanish) PC games that were released and could make use of it.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 9 of 9, by Tripredacus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hanamichi wrote on 2024-05-25, 15:44:
Did you read the article above your post? It explains the options. […]
Show full quote

Did you read the article above your post? It explains the options.

Contains the vga adapter:
IF-SEGA2/PCI
IF-SEGA2/ISA

No but it was in French. :p
I did not know about it being in those two models, I will have to keep an eye out for a cheap one.