V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4101 of 52886, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Latest buys - pix coming later this week:

Sound Cards:
Creative CT1600 - Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 (Value Edition) (Sealed/New Old Stock)
Creative CT1600 - Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 (Deluxe Edition) (Sealed/New Old Stock)
Creative CT1330 - Sound Blaster Pro 1.0 (Boxed)
Creative CT1320U with CMS Chips - Creative Sound Blaster 1.5 (Boxed)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum (Sealed/New Old Stock)

Video Cards:
Canopus Pure3D LX (3DFX Voodoo, 6MB) - (Boxed)
Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 AGP (Boxed)
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 32MB AGP (Sealed/New Old Stock)
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9700 Pro (Boxed)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB AGP (Sealed/New Old Stock)

Misc:
Genius GM-6 Mouse (Sealed/New Old Stock)
Western Digital 120GB 8MB Special Edition IDE hard drive (Sealed/New Old Stock)
Western Digital 100GB IDE hard drive (Sealed/New Old Stock)

Last edited by Artex on 2014-06-10, 15:49. Edited 1 time in total.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4102 of 52886, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

Got the floppy drive for my Atari STFm, but it doesn't seem to want to go; I can't see anything other than a white screen still, and the floppy drive isn't being accessed. Now, I'm yet to test the floppy drive myself, but I'm wondering if this capacitor (indicated by the red ring) on the power supply could be causing the problem, as it appears to be domed:

Those capacitors are aluminum cans in a protective plastic shell. Please push down on the top and see if only the plastic is domed, or whether the actual aluminum can inside the plastic is also domed... If it's only the plastic, then there is nothing to worry about.

Reply 4103 of 52886, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this at the last hamfest I was at.
Never used just yellowed sitting in its box.
A Very Interesting AT Keyboard made for Northern Telecom.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2015-08-13, 04:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4105 of 52886, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

Intriguing - does it function as a regular keyboard, or did they change the signals/key mapping for what I assume was a bespoke configuration?

Yea it functions as a normal keyboard, hard to see from the pic, but most of the keys have normal labels on the sides too.
Pretty sure this keyboard was for their tele-operators or something and had a software macro for those bindings or maybe even a program wrote specifically for it? that used this keyboard?
Its really unique looking and is plunger style like a model M "has springs underneath".

Reply 4106 of 52886, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a pair of laptops a few days back:

Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CX (formerly 4/50CX) sadly, the floppy drive is faulty.
16mb RAM and a 75Mhz i486

DSC_0023_zpsqiotbz4f.jpg?t=1402426706

Toshiba T2130CS.
32Mb RAM and 75Mhz i486

DSC_0022_zpsdioum1jr.jpg?t=1402426791

Think I might sell on the Toshiba though since there's little point in having both as they are so similar.

Last edited by tokyoracer on 2014-06-10, 19:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4108 of 52886, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Lukeno94

it wouldn't hurt to replace this cap... have you looked at the rest of the mobo? everything clean and shiny?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4109 of 52886, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:

Why 'd you sell on the Toshiba? It's probably the better of the two systems. Both look in very good shape for their age though.

The Compaq has a slightly better screen response. Other than that they are virtually identical other than the Tosh having more RAM, I havn't sold it yet, just thinking about it. But yes both are in superb shape, especially the Toshiba. Best of all, both have internal AC adapters so just need a figure-of-eight power cable. 😀

Reply 4110 of 52886, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

@Lukeno94

it wouldn't hurt to replace this cap... have you looked at the rest of the mobo? everything clean and shiny?

I've got absolutely no soldering skills, in fact I'd be lethal with a soldering iron. If that wasn't the case, I'd happily recap the whole damn kaboodle, just to be on the safe side (and it might still work out cheaper than a replacement board). I'm struggling to get the IO shield off at the moment (I'm probably being too careful not to break anything), but what I've seen of the main board looked OK. I'll probably try the drop trick soon using the soft-ish surface of my bed (I'll take the floppy drive out first, which I haven't bothered to carefully mount yet due to the fact I can't seem to get the system going, plus the floppy cable isn't *quite* long enough for me to do so). I left it running for a good 5 minutes, and it didn't try and progress beyond the white screen. No beeps, no floppy drive noises (even when I put a 720k-formatted, albeit blank, disk in prior to a start up), nothing but the solid power light and the white screen (apart from a very brief flicker of the floppy drive light when I initially flicked the power switch.)

Reply 4111 of 52886, by Callahan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just came to me compaq professional workstation 5100: dual PII-300 SL2HA, 256 MB EDO (6 dimms) 4,5GB SCSI Hard Drive, integrated ESS1868 audio driver & some mysteriuos S3 VGA- with some weird addon card on it.
Take a look:
aEJNCEXl.jpg
cMGUqxMl.jpg

Hard drive is blank so there is no compaq diagnostic partition or bios F10. I think i'm able to rewrite it from sp8145 or sp7954.
I had to remove the original BIOS battery that was discharged. Soldered some new with cables.
Case is visually in poor condition: scratched from moving in a vertical position but the whole construction is intact.

Interesting thing is that mobo is using two northbridges to achieve dual channel memory bus (Compaq's Highly Parallel System architecture) 😎

Ultimately i will install nt4 with smp hal using compaq software.
Basically works.

Cpq: ap550(2x1G/256k), sp750(2x900/2MB), 5100(2xpII300)
TD-30 2xP166 NT 3.51
HP Vectra XU 6/200 2x PIIOD 512MB FPM Banshee
Super S2DG2@550/2MB SCSI 15k V5 5500
P4T533-C P4 3,06 Ti4600
Dell T700r @P3-700 V3 3500
PR440FX-2x PIIOD Voodoo 4500 PCI r320 CT1920

Reply 4113 of 52886, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Latest Ebay haul, pretty happy with that. Both items = 50$ shipped. Thanks to this forums Ebay heads up thread.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151313937494?ssPageNam … 984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161323816748?ssPageNam … 984.m1439.l2649

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4114 of 52886, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice 286 board. The build quality looks good, and it's made in Toronto, Canada!

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4115 of 52886, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Yeah it looks great!
Any idea what that empty socket between the CPU and Power connector might be for?

Reply 4116 of 52886, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MaxWar wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Yeah it looks great!
Any idea what that empty socket between the CPU and Power connector might be for?

It's for an 80287, most likely.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4117 of 52886, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
MaxWar wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Yeah it looks great!

A coprocessor, yeah that must be it. Just about every 286 board I look at has that socket.

Reply 4118 of 52886, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
MaxWar wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Yeah it looks great!

It is exactly for 287.

Reply 4119 of 52886, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:
Assuming you aren't just having a spot of fun with us, you shredded a pack of some very rare and hard to find/replace cards. :bl […]
Show full quote

Assuming you aren't just having a spot of fun with us, you shredded a pack of some very rare and hard to find/replace cards. 😒 The ones I could identify:

- GeForce FX 5800 Ultra [the one that says "Terratec"]
- 3DLabs WildcatVP Pro (can't tell if it's an 880 or 990; would need a higher-res of the back (it'll say on the stickers)) [the one with clouds on the cooler]
- S3 Graphics DeltaChrome S8 [the black/silver one that has the S3 logo peeking out]
- Leadtek WinFast VR300 (more info about that: http://www.stereo3d.com/vr300.htm) [the yellow one that says WinFast]
- Club3D XGI Volari V8 256MB [the blue/silver one]

I wasn't sure what the PCI card was, which others identified as a Neon 250.

Of course, this all assumes everything pictured actually WORKED - they all have kicked caps (the S3 and Wildcat being the worst), and other various damage (the S3's heatsink isn't sitting straight and has missing fan blades, the XGI has bulging caps, etc). They were probably put out in the dumpster for a reason (or were damaged from being put out into the dumpster). At least they got recycled instead of going into landfill. 😀

And because it came up (I should probably make a thread about this, given that it seems to keep coming up): the FX 5800 with the Flow FX fan (like what's pictured) is quieter-running than the WildcatVP.

Haha, gotcha 😁 You've been punked 😜

Of course I still got ALL of those cards!!! 😀

And I haven't found them in a dumpster...

I spent fortune to get them….
Some people(including me) have been looking for those cards in years!
How could one find such treasures in one place?
The chances are bigger that you would win in a lottery...

When I was writing the first post I thought that nobody is gonna believe me, that it is so obvious... But you did not catch my joke on the first time so I stared to have fun 😜 I wrote that I got rid of them ( sorry I was not sober at that time...) and there was even more fun 😁 But now I feel kind of "bad" cause some of you FINALLY got suspicious 😜 So I decided to tell the truth...

I know, I know... I've got a specific sense of humor. I know that it was kind of cruel, and some of you probably hate me by now but I hope you gonna forgive me eventually 😀 I will try to compensate my mistake: I will test all those cards and share with the results. I have been testing that Neon for a week now, more info here:

Ultimate PowerVR SGL card/rig/games?

I appologise once agian, and thank you for all the private messages 😉

Here are some more pictures of other stuff.

8df934099917.jpg

555eecc4baa3.jpg

1b45e38c06ae.jpg

c232b0dec101.jpg

7e5c281ae656.jpg

4c7e7181c2d3.jpg

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III