VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 51680 of 52819, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-02-03, 19:12:

I don't understand the point in not using vintage computer parts. That is just hoarding.

There is a big difference. One thing if you don't use any stuff you buy - that's hoarding or collecting - name it as you wish.

Another one is opening the wrapped stuff. It gives you mixed feelings. On one hand it's something that can't be undone. Unlike opened stuff that can be used, moved to other parts, sold again. It's the only unique moment of unwrapping where stuff loses it's value.
On the other hand, with full package you lose that another part of the quest - cleaning, restoring, searching for manuals, drivers and jumpers.

And you still cannot resist buying something brand new 😀 Though old.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 51681 of 52819, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Grabbed a couple of nice Low Power Cyrix 6x86 CPUs, one is a nice PR200 and the other is a rather odd Low Power P150 which I cannot find much info on at all, I suspect its one of the more uncommon versions.

Cyrix 6x86L-P150 GP.png
Filename
Cyrix 6x86L-P150 GP.png
File size
1.46 MiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Cyrix 6x86L-PR200+.png
Filename
Cyrix 6x86L-PR200+.png
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 51682 of 52819, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
I don't understand the point in not using vintage computer parts. That is just hoarding. It is well possible, if you open it aft […]
Show full quote
douglar wrote on 2024-02-02, 14:51:
I saw a drive controller on Ebay at a low price and ordered it. […]
Show full quote

I saw a drive controller on Ebay at a low price and ordered it.

What showed up was still shrink wrapped.

Photo Feb 02 2024, 9 40 39 AM.jpg

I want to play with it, but I also don't want to open it.

I'd almost rather get a dirty board to clean up than to remove shrink wrap.

Am I weird?

I don't understand the point in not using vintage computer parts. That is just hoarding.
It is well possible, if you open it after a big amount of time, it does not work, for example a capacitor might have failed.
But that's just my personal opinion, a lot of Vogon users seem to have boxed stuff, and they are not planning to open it.
I suggest as a compromise: Open it, and then sell the original packing and all the stuff it came with on Ebay.
Somebody will buy it 😁

I think it's fine to buy one or two parts that you don't plan on using as backups. I keep a spare CRT around that I don't use because they are rare. That aside, I try to avoid hoarding stuff that I won't use, even if it's a good deal. While prices are going up, I'd still probably be better off waiting until I can use something before buying it. Even with increased cost, I'm going to save money over the long term because I know that the unused pile would be a lot larger than the pile of stuff that I waited for and paid extra.

Reply 51683 of 52819, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2024-02-03, 20:57:
I don't understand the point in not using vintage computer parts. That is just hoarding. It is well possible, if you open it aft […]
Show full quote
douglar wrote on 2024-02-02, 14:51:
I saw a drive controller on Ebay at a low price and ordered it. […]
Show full quote

I saw a drive controller on Ebay at a low price and ordered it.

What showed up was still shrink wrapped.

Photo Feb 02 2024, 9 40 39 AM.jpg

I want to play with it, but I also don't want to open it.

I'd almost rather get a dirty board to clean up than to remove shrink wrap.

Am I weird?

It is well possible, if you open it after a big amount of time, it does not work, for example a capacitor might have failed.
But that's just my personal opinion, a lot of Vogon users seem to have boxed stuff, and they are not planning to open it.
I suggest as a compromise: Open it, and then sell the original packing and all the stuff it came with on Ebay.
Somebody will buy it 😁

It’s like people buying Rolex watches and not wearing them. It’s for « future resale value ». But I’m the same as you, I enjoy using what I buy.

Buying old hardware to resell it later at a higher price seems like a terrible investment. It's like comic books and many other collector's items that way. In the vast majority of cases, you'd have been better off investing your money another way like mutual funds. I think you could probably say the same for the amount of time and work you spent buying, storing, and reselling old stuff. If you spend a lot of time on this, you might have been better off getting a part-time job or supplementing your income another way.

Reply 51684 of 52819, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rkurbatov wrote on 2024-02-03, 21:02:
There is a big difference. One thing if you don't use any stuff you buy - that's hoarding or collecting - name it as you wish. […]
Show full quote

There is a big difference. One thing if you don't use any stuff you buy - that's hoarding or collecting - name it as you wish.

Another one is opening the wrapped stuff. It gives you mixed feelings. On one hand it's something that can't be undone. Unlike opened stuff that can be used, moved to other parts, sold again. It's the only unique moment of unwrapping where stuff loses it's value.
On the other hand, with full package you lose that another part of the quest - cleaning, restoring, searching for manuals, drivers and jumpers.

And you still cannot resist buying something brand new 😀 Though old.

Like with rare/classic cars - buy one with a lot of miles if you want to drive it guilt-free. Leave the super low-mileage ones to the collectors to pay super high prices for.

Reply 51685 of 52819, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rkurbatov wrote on 2024-02-03, 21:02:

Another one is opening the wrapped stuff. It gives you mixed feelings. On one hand it's something that can't be undone.

It can be undone if you have one of these. 😁

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 51686 of 52819, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BTW, thanks for the feedback on my busted Voodoo 2. Very cool that the consensus is that it's repairable. Not with my level of skill though (I'm *just* getting in to recapping things), so I've sent it off to Kahenraz so they can have a crack at it. 😎

Reply 51687 of 52819, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Confirmed that I will be attempting a repair on ubiq's Voodoo 2. I will be trying to salvage the damaged chip by attempting to reattach the broken legs. If that fails, I will have to locate a replacement chip.

It looks like a lot of fun either way, and I am looking forward to the challenge.

Reply 51688 of 52819, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-02-03, 19:30:
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-02-03, 18:33:
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-02-03, 18:30:

Picked up my 2nd CRT today. Well, 2nd CRT the 2nd time around of course. This is an LG 773N in a Tiny branded case. It's of particular interest to me as I try to re-create the Tiny system my family bought in 1997. This monitor is actually from 2003 but it will look the part, if I ever manage to find the case as well.

Lovely bright picture, no yellowing on the case, really great condition!

Ahh, the way it's buckled in is so cute (-:

That CRT will grow up well with a dad like you!

Safety first for the precious cargo!! They grow up so fast though, this one's already old enough to drink, even in the US. Where does the time go.

I inherited a lot of TRS80 model III & IV computers from my father in law years ago. I tried shipping them to buyers but the tube popped loose in shipping on the second which was a mess. I felt awful. I found a collector who would take the rest, and I ended up renting a car to deliver them. I had four of them belted in the seats like quadruplets. It was quite the trip, but I felt better knowing that they were safe.

Reply 51689 of 52819, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-02-03, 21:58:

Grabbed a couple of nice Low Power Cyrix 6x86 CPUs, one is a nice PR200 and the other is a rather odd Low Power P150 which I cannot find much info on at all, I suspect its one of the more uncommon versions.

Cyrix 6x86L-P150 GP.png
Cyrix 6x86L-PR200+.png

I have a P166+ in the 6x86L ... back in the day they seemed to arrive after the MX in the stores, so it was a little confusing who they thought would buy them, they were priced a bit higher than the non L, you couldn't pair them with a cheap single plane board, seemed it was only system integrators that bought any really, so they could save a buck on cooling, or build tightly boxed system. IDK if mine is gonna find a niche use, I suspect not, I've got a winchip that's both faster and cooler.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 51690 of 52819, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-02-04, 04:18:

I inherited a lot of TRS80 model III & IV computers from my father in law years ago. I tried shipping them to buyers but the tube popped loose in shipping on the second which was a mess. I felt awful. I found a collector who would take the rest, and I ended up renting a car to deliver them. I had four of them belted in the seats like quadruplets. It was quite the trip, but I felt better knowing that they were safe.

That's a shame about the first one, but I love the thought of them all strapped in like that, simply lovely! Shipping CRTs is just not worth the risk now, and anyone seriously interested in buying one will understand that.

Reply 51691 of 52819, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought some cards. Nothing tested. Some bent pins and capacitors. I like the ATI 9600 XT 256 card. Is the Creative CT 4670 any good for Windows 98 / are the drivers user friendly?

Attachments

Reply 51692 of 52819, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turbo -> wrote on 2024-02-04, 11:54:

Bought some cards. Nothing tested. Some bent pins and capacitors. I like the ATI 9600 XT 256 card. Is the Creative CT 4670 any good for Windows 98 / are the drivers user friendly?

Pretty sure that the last ATI cards supported under Windows 98 are the Radeon x700/x800/x850 using Catalyst 6.2 . 4670 is a very capable windows xp card that won’t fry your powersupply. Harer is some advice on HD4000 seriers drivers…

AMD Catalyst drivers for Windows XP - newer is NOT better

Reply 51693 of 52819, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And Hercules GF2 GTS ?

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 51694 of 52819, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found these at the car boot sale:

- Mercury KOB 730s FSMx (PCChips M810LR rev7.1A) + AthlonXP 1700 + "Data Cooler" heatsink/fan - $2
- whole build consisting of MSI K7T266 Pro2-U, Athlon XP 2000+, Sparkle Geforce 4 MX440, NEC USB 2.0 card that I need to replace two ports on, Realtek RTL8169SC NIC (TP-Link branded), MS Industrial KY-400ATX PSU, LG CDRW and Sony DVDRW - $8, as I had to throw away the awfully heavy and ugly AOpen case it came with.
- fresh cold beer - $1.20 😁

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 51695 of 52819, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

miroSOUND PCM 10

Attachments

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 51696 of 52819, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
acl wrote on 2024-02-04, 14:14:

And Hercules GF2 GTS ?

It looks like mine, except the color of the VGA connector (mine's not black).

Reply 51697 of 52819, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought 60 ns memory chips (both 4x256k and 1x256k) to make 60ns memory out of existing simm 30 for my 286 as-much-as-possible 0 ws build.

Seems like I need one more 286 mobo. One for 10-12 MHz, external EMS card, EGA for DOS, maybe Xenix and games. And one with SVGA, 4MB SIMM (will try SIMM slots inserted in SIPP modules to not solder them) for early OS/2 and Netware/286.

I find pleasure in discovering and playing with tools and utils that became part of OSes or disappeared. Like Norton Utilites, QEMM, caching, compilers alternatives.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 51698 of 52819, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im on a Cyrix kick of late, Im hunting the oddities and rarer socket 7 varieties.

Found this one today, I dont have a MX version and this one was going cheap, seems to be one of the more rare models. I do have a nice number of Cyrix and AMD socket 7 CPUs along with Winchip, Rise and Intel so perhaps its time to do some benching of the lower speed ones say sub 250Mhz and see how they all compare under DOS.

Have some nice PCI GPus for DOS too so might be fun do some comparisons to see which CPU perform the best with GPU types.

Cyrix 6x86MX PR266.jpg
Filename
Cyrix 6x86MX PR266.jpg
File size
452.96 KiB
Views
File comment
Cyrix 6x86MX PR266
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 51699 of 52819, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This marking style is the most "beautiful" I think. The ST ones are nice too.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.