Topic actions

Reply 4020 of 52868, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schlang wrote:
retrofanatic wrote:

Also a very useful 4 port startech KVM switch which allows switching with USB, DVI, VGA (both at the same time for 4 dual monitor setups!), and Audio switching as well....

The attachment kvm.jpg is no longer available

I think I have to get one of those, too 😎

Yes, it's worth it if the video quality is good....I still have to test this one out, but I have a feeling it will be pretty good compared to some of my other KVM's I have used. I know there will always be some video quality degridation, but in this case it is worth it to lose a bit of video quality for conveniance.

It's the first kvm I got that does dual monitor setup and DVI and audio and USB to boot....I've been looking for one for a while and at $25 I couldn't pass it up....I've seen these go for between $150 to $340! This one allows up to 1920x1080 resolution I believe.

All my other KVM switches are just plain old PS/2 and VGA with no USB no audio and no DVI until I got the dual one.

I was missing an 8 port that could do 9 pin serial mouse though and luckily, today I found a Belkin 8 port KVM that has 9 pin mouse ports as well as PS/2...and apparently the KVM has an internal converter for each of the 8 ports that allows me to use a PS/2 mouse with all 8 ports regardless if they are 9 pin serial or PS/2...I have another 4 port KVM that does serial, but it's nice to have an 8 port to use for all my retro systems at once. The only drawback with this switch so far is that I read that it only supports up to 1600x1200, so I won't be using this for most of my modern systems (1920x1080).

belkin kvm_1.jpg
Filename
belkin kvm_1.jpg
File size
261.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
belkin kvm_2.jpg
Filename
belkin kvm_2.jpg
File size
203.74 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Oh...and it is Y2K compliant! 🤣 Thank goodness 🤣

Reply 4021 of 52868, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Belkin *shudders* I will never, ever get one of their wireless adapters again - they're horribly unreliable pieces of junk. Doesn't matter which OS or computer I've used - I've had several in the past, and they all had the same problems.

Reply 4022 of 52868, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:
Yes, it's worth it if the video quality is good....I still have to test this one out, but I have a feeling it will be pretty goo […]
Show full quote
schlang wrote:
retrofanatic wrote:

Also a very useful 4 port startech KVM switch which allows switching with USB, DVI, VGA (both at the same time for 4 dual monitor setups!), and Audio switching as well....

kvm.jpg

I think I have to get one of those, too 😎

Yes, it's worth it if the video quality is good....I still have to test this one out, but I have a feeling it will be pretty good compared to some of my other KVM's I have used. I know there will always be some video quality degridation, but in this case it is worth it to lose a bit of video quality for conveniance.

It's the first kvm I got that does dual monitor setup and DVI and audio and USB to boot....I've been looking for one for a while and at $25 I couldn't pass it up....I've seen these go for between $150 to $340! This one allows up to 1920x1080 resolution I believe.

All my other KVM switches are just plain old PS/2 and VGA with no USB no audio and no DVI until I got the dual one.

I was missing an 8 port that could do 9 pin serial mouse though and luckily, today I found a Belkin 8 port KVM that has 9 pin mouse ports as well as PS/2...and apparently the KVM has an internal converter for each of the 8 ports that allows me to use a PS/2 mouse with all 8 ports regardless if they are 9 pin serial or PS/2...I have another 4 port KVM that does serial, but it's nice to have an 8 port to use for all my retro systems at once. The only drawback with this switch so far is that I read that it only supports up to 1600x1200, so I won't be using this for most of my modern systems (1920x1080).

belkin kvm_1.jpg
belkin kvm_2.jpg

Oh...and it is Y2K compliant! 🤣 Thank goodness 🤣

Let me know if it is any good - I planned on getting a KVM eventually and these seem to have overkill functionality and appear a lot on ebay.

Reply 4023 of 52868, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Won an auction for Creative Geforce 4 Ti4600 128MB AGP last week. Today I received it and sadly, it is broken. It seems as it was damaged in the shipping. There are several SMD resistors missing from the back of the board - I found a few in the box. Just sad 🙁

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4025 of 52868, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:

The only drawback with this switch so far is that I read that it only supports up to 1600x1200, so I won't be using this for most of my modern systems (1920x1080)

of course it works for for 1080p, too.
If you are using high quality VGA cables then there should be no issue at all

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 4026 of 52868, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@schlang - Thanks...I was wondering about that..1080p resolution should work since it can do 1200(w)....I will give it a try.

@RacoonRider - I will give the KVM a try tonight and see how it works...I think Belkin for the most part makes good KVM switches...especially of this vintage.

Reply 4027 of 52868, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the 4-port version of that KVM and it works well. I do notice some signal degradation however. It might be down to the Belkin cables that came with it which don't seem to have much shielding, no EMI chokes etc.

Reply 4028 of 52868, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

Must be due to the customs office using an excavator to open the packages for inspection.

No. This was sent within EU. I bought a card and a few other computer parts. While the package was nicely packaged the card itself was only paper-wrapped in the box. As there was one 3.5" HDD in the box not secured, it had done the damage.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4030 of 52868, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone at a local auction site offered 3 computers for free, describing them as a p2, p3 and a k6...

So i offered to come pick them up for ten euro (so i knew i would have them, can`t pass on k6 machines).

The p3 is a compaq deskpro 866mhz which has no value for me except for maybe the 20gb hd.
The p2 has an Aopen mx64 board which is nice because i didn`t have a Via Apollo 133A board yet. It also has a p3-550 slot1 cpu, a 10gb hd and a crappy Matrox G100.

The best was the k6 which is a k6-2 500 on a super 7 Msi 5169 Board with atx layout. It is a version 4 board which does support the + cpu`s from what i understand.
I have always hated Msi boards so let`s hope this is the first one i will like 🤣
This systrem also has a Diamond voodoo1 card and an Ati rage pro. (this takes the voodoo collection to 22 cards for me 😀 )

Best of all: it has a Quantum bigfoot 4GB drive! First drive i ever bought new myself was a bigfoot 2GB, and i am very pleased to own one again! Love the sound of these things. (but they are crazy slowwwww)

All systems together: 4x 128mb sdram and 2x 64mb sdram so i can stash some more ram... one case i like, the rest will be dumped.

No soundblaster love this time: one crappy pci soundcard and 2 systems have onboard sound.

Not bad for 10 euro i guess...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4031 of 52868, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schlang wrote:
retrofanatic wrote:

The only drawback with this switch so far is that I read that it only supports up to 1600x1200, so I won't be using this for most of my modern systems (1920x1080)

of course it works for for 1080p, too.
If you are using high quality VGA cables then there should be no issue at all

Analog signals start getting fuzzy over 1600x1200 even on a good VGA cable.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 4032 of 52868, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well, thank you for generalization

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 4034 of 52868, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just had a dream of having to set up one of those for my uncle, but strangely it had much more cables to be added... Never again 🤣

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 4035 of 52868, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello!

I found those cards in the dumpster...

I have no more space to keep them, so I decided to take some photos before I throw them away 😉

Anybody knows what they are?

It's a pity I couldn't find anybody who would like to trade with me 🙁

Regards.

eab554adddf2.jpg

383f4440ef2b.jpg

ca63d7100001.jpg

9cbab6eb6550.jpg

c793705bce66.jpg

7e4ce882955c.jpg

4e50d74bff38.jpg

38c1b3882eb6.jpg

77ab60cf46c7.jpg

5fed1f6916a8.jpg

edc26cdf79a3.jpg

4858cc0b0197.jpg

42e14645f785.jpg

62a5b0666043.jpg

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 4037 of 52868, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^This is a cute collection of video card. Would be a shame to throw them back in he Dumpster!
I do not see anything that is particularly valuable but you could try selling them as a cheap lot on ebay, or just offer them for free to someone if they pay shipping.
At the last option I would just put them on a small box on the side walk with a sign <Free> And someone will take them.

Edit: Yeah looks like that S3 card is of some value after all! I would totally want to keep this one.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4038 of 52868, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys, doesn't the first card look like a Neon 250 PCI verion? In which case it should actually be pretty valuable?

I'd love to trade you for this card 🤣

Reply 4039 of 52868, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

Guys, doesn't the first card look like a Neon 250 PCI verion? In which case it should actually be pretty valuable?

I'd love to trade you for this card 🤣

I agree! Looks like the PCI version to me too. Diamond in the rough!!
neonpci.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg