VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 5320 of 52969, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!
I have finally received the parcel from the USA after almost 1,5 year from my first order 😉 I wanted to collect as many graphics for cheap money as possible. This is what I got:

fbee4db6b591.jpg

b220ca219fd9.jpg

Maybe not the rarest items in the world but I think they are still interesting. I managed to collect most of them already during that time so those will serve as spare ones or for trade.

9a3e109d07d0.jpg

I love opening the parcel, don't you ? 😁

cb22991c672c.jpg

TRY TO GUESS ALL THE NAMES OF CHIPS WITH MANUFACTURERS 😀

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 5325 of 52969, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[quote="PeterLI"]Beautiful IBM! 😀

Thank You 😀 Well, I tested it and it hangs during post. Top right corner of the screen there's 5E. I think You could propably tell what that means? Guess that's somekind of phase of post-number...correct if i'm wrong 😀

Reply 5326 of 52969, by Callahan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tokroger wrote:
Got this Big Blue today... I´m not big fan of ibm but it´s kind of cool anyway :) […]
Show full quote

Got this Big Blue today... I´m not big fan of ibm but it´s kind of cool anyway 😀

WP_20141104_21_30_43_Pro.jpg
IBM 300 GL Model 6282-730. P166 MMX, 64 mb EDO, somekind of hd and cd, haven´t check those out yet. Don´t know if it runs neither.

WP_20141104_21_12_36_Pro.jpg
There's a little moisture inside, think i'm going to let it dry for few days 😀 took the heatsink off and it's cool ceramic MMX...Love those...

I got same as yours in very good condition 300GL (type 6282, 233MMX, 128MB EDO SDRAM) 🤣

Cpq: ap550(2x1G/256k), sp750(2x900/2MB), 5100(2xpII300)
TD-30 2xP166 NT 3.51
HP Vectra XU 6/200 2x PIIOD 512MB FPM Banshee
Super S2DG2@550/2MB SCSI 15k V5 5500
P4T533-C P4 3,06 Ti4600
Dell T700r @P3-700 V3 3500
PR440FX-2x PIIOD Voodoo 4500 PCI r320 CT1920

Reply 5328 of 52969, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice find man! I have one exactly like it (Well, mine is much more yellow).
It's kinda neat that yours is just a P166 mine is a slot 1 style Pentium 2 processor.

1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d85ft9o.jpg

2_by_mad_king_corduroy-d85ftyg.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 5329 of 52969, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Last month I bought a cheap STB Voodoo2 12MB card to increase my chances of finding a matching card for SLI. Today I got an identical STB Voodoo2 12MB (same model number). The second card was a little expensive, but I think it was worth it just to have two matching cards.

SLI works and all, but it freezes when I run 3DMark01 with vsync disabled and SLI enabled (Only happens in 3DMark01). After a while the picture just turns black and my computer doesn't respond to input. Not a big deal I guess as I didn't get these cards to run 3DMark01. I'm happy as long as my games works fine.

It came with a passthrough cable as well. The cable seems a bit skinny, but when I use it, the picture from my AGP card is nice and sharp. The grid under the shut down windows dialog window is perfect.

Reply 5330 of 52969, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
joacim wrote:

Last month I bought a cheap STB Voodoo2 12MB card to increase my chances of finding a matching card for SLI. Today I got an identical STB Voodoo2 12MB (same model number). The second card was a little expensive, but I think it was worth it just to have two matching cards.

SLI works and all, but it freezes when I run 3DMark01 with vsync disabled and SLI enabled (Only happens in 3DMark01). After a while the picture just turns black and my computer doesn't respond to input. Not a big deal I guess as I didn't get these cards to run 3DMark01. I'm happy as long as my games works fine.

It came with a passthrough cable as well. The cable seems a bit skinny, but when I use it, the picture from my AGP card is nice and sharp. The grid under the shut down windows dialog window is perfect.

3DMark01 is kinda overkill for a V2, try 3DMark99. Keep in mind the V2 is from 1998.

Reply 5331 of 52969, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really retro per se, but I got a new motherboard and GPU for my WinXP machine, as I felt a bit constrained by the AGP slot in that board (given I want to play late DX9 games like ES4:Oblivion decently)

so I got an ASUS A8N-SLI SE board, along with a compatible GF7950 GX2, which as far as I know the most capable DX9 native card one can get . The board is nice as I can keep that Athlon 64 X2 4400+ .

the installation of the card was really odd though. When I first assembled the board and card, I got a bunch of graphical issues , basically massive screen corruption, the card struggling to boot into Windows (I had to reinstall Windows anyways due to some conflict between the card, the board and the remains of the VIA drivers from the old board). with only Safe Mode working. sometimes I could boot into Windows, but running any game would freeze the computer within 5-10 minutes, usually with a bunch of garbage appearing on the screen.

after trying a bunch of stuff like different drivers, BIOS updates, fan speed controls via MSI afterburner. different slots, less RAM , single GPU mode, nothing worked, eventually I kind of gave up

Today just out curiosity I turn that machine on , and for whatever reason the card worked fine.... Ive been testing it for some 2 hours with various games/benchmarks from 3DMark01 and GTA3 , to 3DMark06 , Doom3 and Quake4 , all of which crashed within 5-10 minutes beforehand but now run fine......

anyone know why this can happen? I will keep on testing it, but its not broken down yet. One thing I did notice was that beforehand the fan control was very unresponsive, whereas now its fine....

Reply 5333 of 52969, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well if this card works Im not sure there is any need for the 3850, this board is higher quality as well (being one of the boards that is compatible with the 7950GX2). the card itself is a nice upgrade from the X1950 Pro I was using before and gets a score of 65fps in the Doom3 benchmark , at ultra settings, 1600X1200 and 4x AA, so not too shabby.

Given that Im using an A64 X2 4400+ (the one with the larger cache) , I don't think Im really maxing out this card, apart from maybe in the few games where the dual core functionality is being used.

The other reason I wanted to change the board is that the X1950 Pro AGP was giving me some nasty sound glitches , whereas this is fine.

But thats still odd though , why would a card not be ready to work?

Reply 5334 of 52969, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

3DMark01 is kinda overkill for a V2, try 3DMark99. Keep in mind the V2 is from 1998.

I just thought it is strange it finishes fine with vsync enabled, but not when it is off. Other benchmarks and all the games I've tried works fine. That some benchmark doesn't work right doesn't matter much to me tho. I bought this card for the games.

Reply 5335 of 52969, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:
well if this card works Im not sure there is any need for the 3850, this board is higher quality as well (being one of the board […]
Show full quote

well if this card works Im not sure there is any need for the 3850, this board is higher quality as well (being one of the boards that is compatible with the 7950GX2). the card itself is a nice upgrade from the X1950 Pro I was using before and gets a score of 65fps in the Doom3 benchmark , at ultra settings, 1600X1200 and 4x AA, so not too shabby.

Given that Im using an A64 X2 4400+ (the one with the larger cache) , I don't think Im really maxing out this card, apart from maybe in the few games where the dual core functionality is being used.

The other reason I wanted to change the board is that the X1950 Pro AGP was giving me some nasty sound glitches , whereas this is fine.

But thats still odd though , why would a card not be ready to work?

I've had systems be a bit unstable after being worked on for a couple of power cycles, or until they've been left to stand for a little bit. Sometimes they just need to settle in the slots, or something like that.

Reply 5337 of 52969, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:

Good chance it's old weak caps. With a bit of heat and electricity you've brought them far enough back into spec.

I've had that with fairly new systems as well, but yeah, for older systems, that's probably the case.

Reply 5338 of 52969, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:

Good chance it's old weak caps. With a bit of heat and electricity you've brought them far enough back into spec.

I ordered these yesterday:

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/261350499405
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/251471851226

Hopefully this will make troubleshooting these kind of issues a bit easier 😀

Reply 5339 of 52969, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Darkman wrote:

<snip>
so I got an ASUS A8N-SLI SE board, along with a compatible GF7950 GX2, which as far as I know the most capable DX9 native card one can get .<snip>

I just wanted to comment that after trying multiple different nvidia cards of different era's over time (The 7000 series (pair of 7950 GX2's at one point), 8000 series (pair of 8800 gtx's at one point), and some of the 200 series cards (had a 3-way set of GTS-250's at one point in time)) that now owning a SLI pair of GTX 470's I can honestly say the top end of nvidia's 400 series cards are the most capable native dx9 cards by a really far measurement from everything else. And starting with nvidia's 500 series cards, dx9 performance started going down-hill the newer you go.

My i7 has a pair of water cooled edition gtx-470's in it that run a healthy overclock +45% (880 mhz core.. from nvidia's 607 mhz default) and with a decent CPU (4+ ghz quad core or higher) they run some dx9 games like oblivion insanely high.. like in the 1200 - 1500 FPS range if I turn vertical sync off. I've used anti-aliasing load and as many high res texture mods as I can throw at it to bring it down to the 60-70 FPS range.. so much I've taken em all the way up to 8x super-sampling AA for oblivion to bring it around 60-90 FPS. Looks nice and it's about right. I've tried other DX8 games on those cards like Tron 2.0 and that one runs around 5000-5800 FPS (not joking) and brought that one all the way up to 64xSuperSampling AA to bring it down around 100-120 FPS. Freelancer is another multi-thousand FPS dx8 game and I have it up at 64xSS-AA too, still runs about 200 FPS despite that.

Vanilla skyrim with no mods and vertical sync off runs 600-800 FPS on ultra on these cards.. I had to put vertical sync back on because of.. hilarious problems with it off in that game.. physics in skyrim is tied to FPS, so with it that high.. like when indoors, shoot someone with an arrow and their corpse flies around the level until it turns in to spaghetti and then hit random objects like small pots and silverware and then those items fly around as projectiles that can kill your character etc. Overall I have a blast playing with DX8 & DX9 games on these cards. 😀