Topic actions

Reply 6660 of 52813, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
This is the 6th Geforce 8800 GTX I have bought this winter... and the 3rd working one. Finally I can mess around with G80 tripp […]
Show full quote

This is the 6th Geforce 8800 GTX I have bought this winter... and the 3rd working one.
Finally I can mess around with G80 tripple SLI.

XFX Pine Group Geforce 8800 GTX. The factory OC for this card is 630/1000 up from 575/900.
The GPU on the Geforce 8800 Ultra is only clocked at 612 MHz so this card should be just as fast.
<snip>

Make sure the clock speeds on both core and memory all match, nvidia SLI is picky about this on all generations of cards, new and old. You can put mismatched overclocked/not-overclocked cards together, but unless you manually match the clocks, you'll see bluescreens and crashes and all sorts of nastiness.

Good to know.
I will sort that with MSI Afterburner 😀

I did run SLI with two 8800 GTX with different clocks without issues when I built my "2006 system" but that was probably the exception that proves the rule.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6661 of 52813, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Good to know.
I will sort that with MSI Afterburner 😀

I did run SLI with two 8800 GTX with different clocks without issues when I built my "2006 system" but that was probably the exception that proves the rule.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Some games and benchmarks are more sensitive to it than others, vantage and crysis are the ones that don't like mismatched speeds and crash on it, vantage causes BSOD and requires cold reboot. That's all I can remember off the top of my head, it's been years since I had a 3-way SLI Setup a while back (was nvidia gts-350 SLI). Best way to be safe is just match clocks and then rest assured no issues.

Reply 6662 of 52813, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.... Must admit that, at a price of 16,29 US-Dollars including shipping.
I could not help my self. Must see what's all the fuzz is, regarding AWE64's.
A big plus is the sellers return policy (14 day's money back), and the waranty
wich is as far as i remember right now, 12 months. Can't beat that.
Ohhh... And it's tested and promised in working order... 16,29, can't beat it.

awe64web.jpg

Delivery is 25 or 26 this month. Ohhh... yeah. 😜

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6663 of 52813, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

Make sure the clock speeds on both core and memory all match, nvidia SLI is picky about this on all generations of cards, new and old. You can put mismatched overclocked/not-overclocked cards together, but unless you manually match the clocks, you'll see bluescreens and crashes and all sorts of nastiness.

+1. You might also have to flash that GTX to show up as an "Ultra." nVidia drivers do not officially support any mismatched SKU combinations (like 8800GTX + Ultra), even if the clocks match (it isn't as flexible as CrossFire). There are driver hacks available that will over-ride that, but I don't remember if they support G80. I think they're still hosted on TPU, among other sources, if you end up needing that.

Also go with ForceWare 180 or later, as they removed the requirement for the cards to be from the same vendor (e.g. all Asus), and this also (theoretically) fixed things for mis-matched clocks on the same SKU (e.g. you have a BFG OC and a stock-standard Asus 8800GT together). I've had no problems with my PNY + Dell 7900GS combo in testing with "newer" (not that FW180 is really all that new nowadays) drivers, but the only real difference between those cards is the manufacturer ID string.

Reply 6664 of 52813, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought old mb for 5 euros. Mb itself was scrap because it was really badly corroded from leaking barrell-battery... But took these from it

20150221_164611.jpg
Genoa WindowsVGA 24 Model 8500 w 1mb, 4 pcs Intel sims (upper), 4 pcs Hyundai sims (lower) and 486DX 33

Reply 6665 of 52813, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$_57.JPG

A small upgrade for my T3200SX... As I'm assuming I can use a co-processor intended for faster systems, it worked on my desktop anyway and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't just operate at the systems 16MHz clock.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6666 of 52813, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just bought this beauty on ebay, technically just because of the case but let's see... 😀

Attachments

• colani.jpg
    Filename
    colani.jpg
    File size
    237.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6667 of 52813, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nemail wrote:

Just bought this beauty on ebay, technically just because of the case but let's see... 😀

That is a groovy case - a 486 in there going by the era of that 'intel inside' sticker?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6670 of 52813, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder why that one, and related items in the list on that page, never showed up in my search...?

Doesn't matter, I'm happy with what I have bought anyway - or I will be if it doesn't turn up in a million pieces, on fire or invisible.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6671 of 52813, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alright guys.. Not sure where this one should go, but I've posted this kinda thing here last year and the year before...

!!! WARNING !!! !!! WARNING !!! !!! WARNING !!! !!! WARNING !!! !!! WARNING !!! !!! WARNING !!!

Those with heart conditions may want to skip this post. Heart palpitations are likely, with slight dizziness, drooling and high probability of seizure.

!!! WARNING !!! !!! WARNING !!! !!! WARNING !!! !!! WARNING !!! !!! WARNING !!! !!! WARNING !!!

This weekend I added a ** 3rd ** 6ft table to hold my 3DFX cards. I thought, why not take the opportunity to organize and throw up a collection update on VOGONS. Presenting... "The H0arD!" (Feburary 2015 update!)

Enjoy my fellow VOGONS retro enthusiasts!

😎 😎 😎

ALL

Y6D22N.jpg

The video cards..(3DFX)

b3Yjgl.jpg
SUmbOi.jpg
kkBJl8.jpg

The video cards..

68SRhA.jpg
PjWDmn.jpg
JW2kb8.jpg
4d5JVa.jpg

The Processors..

44Exyh.jpg
9CQv5L.jpg

The Audio Stuff..

GaYG48.jpg
qmGHdV.jpg
yfMmiy.jpg
Ccsj5S.jpg
W7atxL.jpg

The Audio Stuff (Creative Lovin')..

XZRQ95.jpgMZ7xer.jpg5nUlnv.jpg

The Audio Stuff (Roland, Ensoniq SoundScape/SoundScape Elite/Creative CMS)..

srk15b.jpg
kRzsVX.jpg
fPJEFP.jpg
v8Nr8U.jpg
Ecvh4K.jpg

The Audio Stuff (Let there be GUS!)..and my CM-500 😀

k8w2nK.jpg
GjJ3r7.jpg

The "Artex's Build of the Week" Beasts!! + OEM Favorites

vfYqvr.jpg
oRBcxY.jpg
6gxjOf.jpg
FU7A6h.jpg
qYjSie.jpg

Last edited by Artex on 2015-02-23, 01:34. Edited 4 times in total.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 6673 of 52813, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aww man you have a boxed 386 Packard Bell?!?! Colour me jealous. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6674 of 52813, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

Alright guys.. Not sure where this one should go, but I've posted this kinda thing here last year and the year before...

I have no words to describe the conflicting emotions conjured over what i just saw. Were you and Peter separated at birth? Nice basement.

Reply 6675 of 52813, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's amazing! You should give Guinness Book of Records a call.

I personally couldn't live with that much vintage hardware weighing on my soul - I'd end up sleeping down there, shotgun in one hand an fire extinguisher in the other 😀

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6676 of 52813, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*jaw drops*

A little bit of hoarding there 😉

Awesome collection. Are all those cards boxed and WRAPPED?

Hopefully you addressed the CMOS battery in the Packard Bell. I have one of the same model with the motherboard ruined by battery corrosion.
The battery is situated right next to RAM decoding circuitry.

Reply 6677 of 52813, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Artex, do you live alone? My wife would not allow such consumption of space, even in a basement. My stash consumes only one medium-sized closet and a large dresser, all of which are kept well out of sight in the office.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6679 of 52813, by jmannik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well over the weekend I built my Athlon 500 as listed in my signiture, it was quite a... heartbreaking journey really.

First I put the cpu, board and ram together and into the case then as I was hunting for a direct 3d card to pair with the voodoo 2's I found a TNT2 Ultra 32MB that I didn't know I had.
Installed the rest of the hardware and installed windows 98SE and thats where the problems started...

Firstly once the latest voodoo 2 reference drivers were installed the machine started locking up once it got to the desktop.
After quite some time of troubleshooting I found the following issues:
- I had forgotten about the issues with greater than 512mb of ram in win9x, I had installed 768mb.
- One of my three voodoo 2 cards had failed, one of them turned out to be an 8mb card and I didnt know it.
- Driver issues with the voodoo reference drivers caused instability.

So first thing was to resolve the memory issues, easy done.. took out 265mb of ram to bring it down to 512mb.

Second issue was a little bit more heartbreaking, I have 3 voodoo 2's of which 2 are 12mb versions and one I found was only an 8mb verstion.
The failed card is a bit unusual, when in the system on its own it is detected by windows and shows up in the device manager, but the tab under display properties for voodoo is not there and it is not available as a 3d accelerator. When paired with one of the other cards the tab under display properties appears but it errors out when you try to go to the tab.
So with the 12mb card and the 8mb card I was able to set up sli but found the performance is only marginally higher with sli over a single 12mb card.
3d Mark99 Max
8mb card - 2400ish
12mb card - 2750ish
12mb+8mb - 2850ish
Found that in SLI is drops the 12mb card back to an 8mb card.
I also replaced the reference drivers with the fastvoodoo2 4.6 drivers which appear to be faster and more stable.
The last thing I did with the system once I worked out all the issues I was having was to reinstall with Windows ME as it appeared to be more stable.
I am in the process of making a video of the build to upload to youtube.

Dos: AMD 386 DX40 | 8MB RAM | SB Vibra 16
Dos: AMD 586-133|32MB RAM|2GB CF|2MB S3 Virge|AWE32-8MB
WinME: Athlon-500MHz|512MB|2x80GB|SB Live|Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Win10: i7-6700K|16GB|1x250GB SSD 1x1.5TB|AMD Fury X