Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 11460 of 52983, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

It is a speedy board. Some things start to fall off a bit once you approach the 1GHz marker, but it's a 440GX so that is to be expected. I need to fix mine, it still has some ancient virus on it, I was thinking of re-installing both Windows versions anyway and dropping back to 98SE/2K (Currently uses 98SE/XP) because it seems more appropriate and the XP install is pretty messy after bodging it to run Vegas for so long last year.

Oh, god, that's a good point. My Pentium D had its birthday on April 2nd, damn it's old, I need that Xeon.

I tested the second P3 600 CPU separatly in the first slot and it worked. Then I tested both again and got the same issue as before, both these Katmai 600 are SL3JT. I switched one of the SL3JT for a Katmai 600 SL3JM and suddenly everything works, the board dosn't like matched CPUs it seems. 🤣

I don't think I will ask the seller for a partial refund as the board woks. I will replace those 6 bad "NRSY green" caps later and be happy over the fact I got this board for a reasonable price, as you wrote they are not very common.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11461 of 52983, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had four identical Katmai 500's and found that certain pairings did not work. But my board just doesn't POST when that happens.

Good to know it is now working, enjoy your SMP goodness. This was the board that turned me away from single CPU/single core computing forever, I never looked back... Well, I did, but never for my main machine, it was just clear to me from the start that SMP was the future.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 11462 of 52983, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

I had four identical Katmai 500's and found that certain pairings did not work. But my board just doesn't POST when that happens.

Good to know it is now working, enjoy your SMP goodness. This was the board that turned me away from single CPU/single core computing forever, I never looked back... Well, I did, but never for my main machine, it was just clear to me from the start that SMP was the future.

I just installed CPU-Z, it can't read the FSB correctly as it jumps between 100 and 115 MHz during load. Should this be correct then I understand both why the board is so fast and why the CPU compatibility is flaky. No "test modes" are activated so if the FSB indeed jumps around its because of the bad caps. I think it's CPU-Z that fails though as there is no chance Katmai 600 CPUs are stable at 115 MHz FSB with stock voltage.

I'm almost surprised the Seventeen ST-250PIIIP 250W small form factor PSU from year ~2000 I use holds up, it dosnt even rev its fan much. It was the first PSU with the 6 pin aux power connector I found in my PSU pile, Im not digging any deeper in that mess if I do not have to. The PSU is rated 20A on the 3.3V rail and 25A on the 5V rail so it should be ok as long as the motherboard uses mostly the 3.3V rail for the AGP slot. I just ran though PCmark without any issues. When I switch to Coppermine CPUs the power usage should go down a bit anyhow.

Pictures of my Seventeen ST-250PIIIP PSU can be found here.
Re: A tale of two PSUs

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-04-06, 02:05. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11463 of 52983, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, that reminds me of when my Optiplex GX270, after losing its CMOS settings, decided to randomly OC a 533MHz FSB P4 to 800MHz. It flew... and then throttled to bottom-end PIII speeds.

Reply 11464 of 52983, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

I need that Xeon.

If you try to build a slot 2 Xeon build from scratch just be warned that it is a money pit 😢
In over $200 already and haven't even put it together yet 😵

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11465 of 52983, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was referring to the E3. As for Slot 2 I would really like to build one, 4-Way if possible, but the cost is prohibitive. Perhaps i shall try in the future, they're a bit after my cutoff for the most part, but they are awesome enough that I still want to own one.

@Skyscraper; Check the "Manufacturer Mode Setting" in the BIOS, I think it's in "Chipset" as this allows manual control of the FSB. I just turned the system off for the night, but I'll try and look at mine tomorrow. Be warned Mode 5 and, I believe, Mode 4 will overclock the chipset, something you probably don't want to do.

I use a 430W PSU which I was very lucky to find rattling around in the bottom of a very broken K6 machine some years ago, same place as that case I mentioned yesterday.

Reply 11466 of 52983, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Yeah.... That's understandable with that load of dust inside. Must be really proud, yeah!!! :lol: […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote:

the previous owner was proud his system and wanted to tell a lot about it

Yeah.... That's understandable with that load of dust inside. Must be really proud, yeah!!! 🤣

Joking aside.
Yeah. It is a nice system, and the case can hold a lot of stuff, wich is nice.
Good catch. Just that it really need some cleaning and some cablemanagement love.

The dust is like a warm woolly sweater. I think he wanted to keep her extra warm 😉

1982 to 2001

Reply 11467 of 52983, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

The dust is like a warm woolly sweater. I think he wanted to keep her extra warm 😉

One's retro-rig, can't get enough carpet then? 🤣

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11468 of 52983, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I've said before about my friend who has OCD and hates dust. He vacuums his computer out at least once a week (though I think he's started slacking now that he works most of the time).

I always save any cleaning for when he's around, I tend to leave things for years and ignore the dust until something complains, it drives him barmy. The Pentium D accumulates by far the most dust, generally large black masses of the stuff that stick together and it literally makes him feel ill, especially at times like when I found i could lift it off of the 12CM radiator in one go, producing a nearly square panel of black dust.

Reply 11469 of 52983, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ HighTreason, I like your dusting habits. As they reflect mine. Although my main pc that I built new gets the religious bi-yearly dusting 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 11470 of 52983, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm on a bit of a buying/finding spree lately. I won an interesting lot of old hardware, it is in the mail now and might arrive today (20 kg! of assorted stuff, some interesting ISA cards (hard to see on the pictures), cables, memory, hardrives and optical drives). I also just got a K6-III 400MHz and a SB16 CT2910. I'm done for this month now I think. I'll post pictures when I get it.

1982 to 2001

Reply 11471 of 52983, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a Roland MT-32 last week that arrived on Monday. Just unpacked it and it turns out it's in its original box! Box is quite worn, but still a good find, especially at the price I paid.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 11472 of 52983, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I'm on a bit of a buying/finding spree lately. I won an interesting lot of old hardware, it is in the mail now and might arrive today (20 kg! of assorted stuff, some interesting ISA cards (hard to see on the pictures), cables, memory, hardrives and optical drives). I also just got a K6-III 400MHz and a SB16 CT2910. I'm done for this month now I think. I'll post pictures when I get it.

K6-III's are sweet stuff. Both the regulair and the plus.
Please do post some sweet shot's of it.

Reply 11473 of 52983, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got my large 'mystery' box today, and it was nice to unpack 😀 Since I had no real idea what I was buying except a few blurry pictures, I am not familiar with everything I got. I'll just post the pictures! The two AMD CPU's and the CT2910 are from another seller. Not included in the pictures: about 5-6 network cards, ISA and PCI)

Sound Blaster 16 CT2910
pBaKQQFl.jpg?1

AMD K6-233 and K6-III 400
Wmr6DZil.jpg

Nice to have more cables 😉 But the PS/2 headers will come in handy!
ct1Xutel.jpg

Sound Blaster 16
wNma7Ssl.jpg?1

I have no idea, but it looks like something that never really caught on?
Td8y4r6l.jpg?1

A dime a dozen?
Vz4b2YWl.jpg?1

??
1ZqrJJ9l.jpg?1

Not very interesting I think
Pk7Er8Vl.jpg?1

TjxhcbIl.jpg?1

Vw7ZSvNl.jpg?1

iUZsKZMl.jpg?1

7MWOcoWl.jpg?1

TNT2 M64
onCI0q8l.jpg?1

I did recognise this one on the seller's pictures, glad to have one!
x0dobvFl.jpg?1

Google tell me it's a 'Sound Galaxy Waverider 32+'
dJj6jMEl.jpg?1

Do you guys keep all hard drives you get?
T7yGNSil.jpg?1

Optical drives. Some SCSI! And I like the Philips DVD / CD one on the bottom. And an extra 5.25" floppy drive is always welcome.
kHZyRaMl.jpg

Two identical Adaptec SCSI cards to go with the optical drives
95iIHqgl.jpg

A heap of memory modules (EDO and SDRAM, and also some ECC SDRAM)
NFlDQKkl.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 11474 of 52983, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I got my $120 (shipped) Quantum 3D Graphite system in the mail yesterday and its actually smaller than I thought it'd be. Its very clean inside and out, though there are a lot of scratches on the casing and no side\top panel (which is probably common).

To my surprise, the system turned on immediately... despite the listing saying that it didn't work. The fans are pretty noisy, but it booted just fine to Windows 2000 (with a Midway desktop and no start menu, task bar or anything clickable) and attempted to communicate with the rest of the arcade machine it came from but stopped when it doesn't find anything. Task manager has the "new task" feature disabled under this account too. By booting into safe mode with command prompt and running "explorer" I was able to get an explorer window, then I accessed the administrative tools through the Start Menu shortcuts folder, added a second user account and rebooted. Thankfully that second user account actually allowed me to run a new task through task manager, so then I could browse the system freely outside of Safe Mode. I found all of the original files for Arctic Thunder, and was actually able to run the game just like a normal application.

Quantum3D Graphite 2016-04-06 005 (1440x1920).jpg
Filename
Quantum3D Graphite 2016-04-06 005 (1440x1920).jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

More pictures here:

https://goo.gl/photos/5XCuPjTB8jkiKHzf8

You'll notice I cracked the PSU open to look it over pretty early on, just to be sure it didn't have any visibly failing caps or other problems. It'd be sad to kill the system by running it on a bad PSU. The fan also needed oiled, which made it buttery smooth...

What's really interesting is that the system's event viewer shows just how long this baby has been operational. The earliest dates were from 2000 (actually 1999, but that's when the BIOS clock resets too, and the manufacture dates look to be 2000) and there are dates every so often all the way up until June of 2015. That's 15 years in service! There a few other cool things on the hard drive too. A saved network location that was created in 2000 that says "arctic" and has someone's last name on it... apparently the person at Midway that set up and transferred the game data originally. There are still records of scores, as well as the reinstallation files and batch files to reinstall the game if it ever stops working. The board has a genuine Midway branded BIOS, and all of the components seem to be original... even the small PCB that connects power to external devices (powered by the system's ATX PSU) has Midway silkscreening on it. This thing really is a time capsule of gaming history, crammed inside an arcade machine and kept there for safekeeping until it was no longer economical to keep it all running.

I'll likely remove the hard drive and keep it in a safe place and use the system as a Win9x gaming system... possibly with my Voodoo 5 5500 AGP installed rather than the 3000.

I never thought I'd own any Quantum3D hardware back in the 90s when it was insanely expensive, but in the past month I've managed to come across a bunch of it.

My small lot of old arcade parts also arrived yesterday, including 2 Quantum 3D Obsidian2 10MB PCI arcade cards (with only a VGA out... no SLI, passthrough or slot cover), a main board from what I'm told was a Gauntlet Legends system (it came with the green Obsidian2), and an STB-made Voodoo 3 2000 PCI with an Atari sticker on it and no slot cover. These are all pictured in the gallery linked above. My old Voodoo 3 2000 PCI that my brother purchased in ~1999 is shown for comparison as well.

... one other interesting thing I just remembered about the Graphite is that its ATX power connector (there's a picture of it in the gallery) has the green and black wires in the same hole so that the system automatically powers on when plugged in. Is there likely to be an easy way to work around this? I'd prefer that it just stayed off until I wanted it on, even if I have to do a keyboard shortcut or attach a button to get it to power on (the case has no power button). I haven't yanked the pin out of the connector because I'm assuming that there is only one pin for both wires, which will do me no good. I do have a tool to pop the wires out, but I don't want to mess with it if there's an easier way.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11475 of 52983, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

So, I got my $120 (shipped) Quantum 3D Graphite system in the mail yesterday and its actually smaller than I thought it'd be. Its very clean inside and out, though there are a lot of scratches on the casing and no side\top panel (which is probably common).

Wow, that is nice stuff!

1982 to 2001

Reply 11476 of 52983, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My 9800 gx2 and 8800 gts arrived today to my surprise the seller being a total idiot didn't pack them right so both graphics cards were rubbing together. The brackets on both cards were bent and the 9800 gx2 look like it had been dropped /rage face but it looks like the 8800 gts survived. Why can't these sellers actually pack shit right these days, got to be the fourth such incident this year for me so far. 😠

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11477 of 52983, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Windows sound system card is perhaps not the greatest invented.
Yet the story and the failure makes it an interresting piece of hardware history.

Great haul.

Reply 11478 of 52983, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cyrix200+, that is one awesome retro supply drop 😀

Extremely useful and compatible gear. Very good.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11479 of 52983, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

My 9800 gx2 and 8800 gts arrived today to my surprise the seller being a total idiot didn't pack them right so both graphics cards were rubbing together. The brackets on both cards were bent and the 9800 gx2 look like it had been dropped /rage face but it looks like the 8800 gts survived. Why can't these sellers actually pack shit right these days, got to be the fourth such incident this year for me so far. 😠

I wish Ebay had a mandatory "how I'm going to package it" description. When I was buying my socket 7 board the seller just put some newspapers around it and wrapped it it so much ducktape I could barely get it out of there. It was slightly bent but luckily still working fine.

So far the best packaging I got was from a guy who had some sort of home-brewing business and decided he didnt need his 8800GTX - the box he put it in was full of bubble-wrap and air-cushions/bags and the shipping cost around 10 Euros, 2x-3x less than I usually get for larger cards.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4