VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 14480 of 52785, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I got this computer for free on a rescue mission today... So I technically didn't buy it but I also didn't find it in a dumpster so I choose this thread 😉 It was rescued from the basement of a building that is about to be torn down. Last minute save, tomorrow it would have been scrapped.

IMGP8907.JPG
Filename
IMGP8907.JPG
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMGP8902.JPG
Filename
IMGP8902.JPG
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license

This is an IMC XT/TURBO. It's a generic "turbo" XT clone with CGA, I think it runs the CPU at 8 MHz. Other specs unknown at this point but it has the usual stuff.

The monitor is a Philips CM 8533 RGB monitor which is very similar to early Commodore monitors like the 1084. I believe those were rebranded Philips monitors. Very versatile, it has a SCART input, composite, TTL RGB via a DIN plug and some other cool stuff. Would be useful for almost any 80's/early 90's home computer or console.

IMGP8908.JPG
Filename
IMGP8908.JPG
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license

Built like a tank. You press two buttons on either side of the case and the hood pops up, very convenient. Check out the size of that PSU!

IMGP8906.JPG
Filename
IMGP8906.JPG
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license

Right now it doesn't boot unfortunately. The PSU starts up and there are some noises from the hard drive but no POST beep and there's nothing on the screen. Will investigate.

IMGP8909.JPG
Filename
IMGP8909.JPG
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license

(Also from the same place I got this stuff, all free: two vintage 70's tape decks, a stereo receiver, the first portable CD player Sony ever made, and an ancient oscilloscope)

Reply 14481 of 52785, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dang, that thing is clean! Nice save, very fortunate for you, einr! Hope you can get it up and running, and please start a thread when you do. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 14482 of 52785, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some W24257AK-15 cache modules that I was missing.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14483 of 52785, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I will 😀

Unfortunately some cursory examination has revealed some fairly bad battery leakage on the floppy/parallel/gameport/RTC interface card which has also dripped down onto the motherboard and seems to have ruined some traces there. I will try to clean it up but at this point I don't have great hopes for this board.

leaky.jpg
Filename
leaky.jpg
File size
534.52 KiB
Views
File license

BTW the board has a "10 MHZ TURBO BOARD" marking and it has a Fujitsu 8088 so I guess it's an 8088/10 system. All RAM slots are populated too (and there's a lot of them) so it's fully loaded, whatever that means. 1 MB, I guess? 640K? I'm not super pro with XT systems.

---

IMGP8914.JPG
Filename
IMGP8914.JPG
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license

okay that's great but i'm not sure i want to "satisfy your products", that sounds a little scary actually 🙁

Reply 14484 of 52785, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
einr wrote:

BTW the board has a "10 MHZ TURBO BOARD" marking and it has a Fujitsu 8088 so I guess it's an 8088/10 system. All RAM slots are populated too (and there's a lot of them) so it's fully loaded, whatever that means. 1 MB, I guess? 640K? I'm not super pro with XT systems.

My XT clone board is fully populated with 640K

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 14485 of 52785, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received this Belkin F1D104 KVM switch from ebay seller:

20161030_153030_zpsr7mu6yie.jpg
20161030_153040_zps5m3kf8mg.jpg

I'm eagerly waiting for the VGA-PS/2 and serial cables I ordered separately for this KVM switch. Finally I can hook up all my 3 retro PCs with just one set of PS/2 keyboard and mouse (even optical, if desired!). No more hassle with serial mouse... I've yet to find a good one (ergonomically speaking).

Reply 14486 of 52785, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
einr wrote:
Well, I got this computer for free on a rescue mission today... So I technically didn't buy it but I also didn't find it in a du […]
Show full quote

Well, I got this computer for free on a rescue mission today... So I technically didn't buy it but I also didn't find it in a dumpster so I choose this thread 😉 It was rescued from the basement of a building that is about to be torn down. Last minute save, tomorrow it would have been scrapped.

This is an IMC XT/TURBO. It's a generic "turbo" XT clone with CGA, I think it runs the CPU at 8 MHz. Other specs unknown at this point but it has the usual stuff.

Built like a tank. You press two buttons on either side of the case and the hood pops up, very convenient. Check out the size of that PSU!

Right now it doesn't boot unfortunately. The PSU starts up and there are some noises from the hard drive but no POST beep and there's nothing on the screen. Will investigate.

Nice machine!
I have a XT with the same case: Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 14487 of 52785, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got some more PCI cards today, as well as a working Leadtek Geforce 2 Titanium. I also got some motherboards - some dead, possibly repairable, some working.

nhWx6C3l.jpg?1

I'm testing these guys tonight. The results are going in my DOS PCI Benchmark / Compatibility thread : DOS PCI Video Card Compatibility and Benchmark tests

33MHz Cyrix 486 CPU - unfortuntatly it's a socket 3 part. Would have been cool if it was a 486DLC.

SSk5skVl.jpg

KT133 board with an ISA slot:

TPoMq5dl.jpg

ECS i815 board with Tualatin CPU support - it makes a good backup in case my Abit ST6 fails.

MsO5mXal.jpg

Tekram P5MVP-A4 Super socket 7 ATX board. Unfortunately this one is dead - one of the voltage regulators popped. Shouldn't be too hard to fix if I find the right part.

kYBGXzjl.jpg

I also got a Skywell AGP banshee, an AGP Trident 3D Image 9750 with SGRAM (unfortunately the Blade3D still eludes me) and an assortment of dead AT and ATX boards.

Reply 14488 of 52785, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I do not need any overclocking or other options. OEM type options is fine 😀 But they must take the 3.4 GHz chips, as I really would like those result with a faster GPU.

Well, you can use a 3.4Ghz P4 with this board for sure, I've done it. It complains during boot that it exceeds the designed TDP and resets, but you can bypass the reset and continue booting pressing a key (F10, if I remember well); the VRM part gets really hot and I will not use this kind of set up for long periods, but it works.

Reply 14489 of 52785, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

an AGP Trident 3D Image 9750 with SGRAM (unfortunately the Blade3D still eludes me)

I've seen a few posts here and elsewhere suggesting the Blade 3D are hard to find. I have 3 Jaton Video-97 Pro/4MB waiting to be tested (I have a ton of hardware waiting for me to build a shed for setting up various test systems). They cost me £4.35 for the 3! Graphics cards are my thing 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 14490 of 52785, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shiva2004 wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I do not need any overclocking or other options. OEM type options is fine 😀 But they must take the 3.4 GHz chips, as I really would like those result with a faster GPU.

Well, you can use a 3.4Ghz P4 with this board for sure, I've done it. It complains during boot that it exceeds the designed TDP and resets, but you can bypass the reset and continue booting pressing a key (F10, if I remember well); the VRM part gets really hot and I will not use this kind of set up for long periods, but it works.

That's great 😀

Yea it's really just for some quick benchmarks, nothing more.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14491 of 52785, by rkrenicki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up a number of MIDI modules on Yahoo Japan.

2x Roland SC-55ST (I didnt really mean to win both.. oops.. At least one is white and one is black, so they are not identical.)
1x Roland SC-55mkII
1x Yamaha TG300 (I know nothing about this particular unit, but it has a big fancy display on it, and it was dirt cheap)
1x Yamaha MU90B
and a RM602 Yamaha 6 channel mixer, to round it all up.

Once everything shows up, I am going to run them all against each other and the SC-88VL and MT-32 that I have and see which ones I want to keep.

Attachments

Reply 14492 of 52785, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

an AGP Trident 3D Image 9750 with SGRAM (unfortunately the Blade3D still eludes me)

I've seen a few posts here and elsewhere suggesting the Blade 3D are hard to find. I have 3 Jaton Video-97 Pro/4MB waiting to be tested (I have a ton of hardware waiting for me to build a shed for setting up various test systems). They cost me £4.35 for the 3! Graphics cards are my thing 😀

They could very well be. Here in The Netherlands they were never really common, I only ever found a single one and it's a PCI one.

I remember its drivers being odd to install (it was in my early days of retrocomputing, so basically everything was new to me back then), but once the drivers were loaded, it did seem to work.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14493 of 52785, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

33MHz Cyrix 486 CPU - unfortuntatly it's a socket 3 part. Would have been cool if it was a 486DLC.

The Cyrix FasCache CPUs are technically DLC chips (I believe), and come with 2KB of L1 cache. I have the 40MHz counterpart with a Cx487s piggyback co-processor.

Reply 14494 of 52785, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
einr wrote:
Well, I got this computer for free on a rescue mission today... So I technically didn't buy it but I also didn't find it in a du […]
Show full quote

IMGP8907.JPG
IMGP8902.JPG

The monitor is a Philips CM 8533 RGB monitor which is very similar to early Commodore monitors like the 1084. I believe those were rebranded Philips monitors. Very versatile, it has a SCART input, composite, TTL RGB via a DIN plug and some other cool stuff. Would be useful for almost any 80's/early 90's home computer or console.

IMGP8906.JPG

IMGP8908.JPG

IMGP8909.JPG

(Also from the same place I got this stuff, all free: two vintage 70's tape decks, a stereo receiver, the first portable CD player Sony ever made, and an ancient oscilloscope)

DOnt forget to replace the battery on your RTC board.. Its starting to leak..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 14495 of 52785, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last week I got lots of 72pin EDO (mainly, some are FPM) memory. Around 40 pieces, about half are 16MB, a third 32MB modules. The rest is 8MB and there's also a set of 30pin 256KBx4.
Also some low density SDRAM, those will be useful in early socket 7 mainboards.

Lots of 8MB 72pin SODIMM FPM 486 laptop memory modules. The chips are mainly IBM0117800B, 3.3V, 70ns, the datasheet is available. I have not seen these at their prime as we only had desktops back then.

Less interesting but will be useful: 2 Ensoniq AudioPCI cards, and one Creative (with the 1373 chip). 3 VIA USB 1.1 adapters. Also handy for socket 7, maybe 486.

Paid some 30 euros for the whole lot with shipping.

Reply 14496 of 52785, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a Thinkpad 770Z for $30. Ought to make a decent DOS portable machine.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14497 of 52785, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also a Biostar M5ALC SS7 mobo with K6/2-400.

s-l800.jpg

Only 3 PCI and 1 ISA; OTOH has on-board ESS Solo-1 sound chip. According to the manual ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/manuals/M5ALC/M5ALCmanual.pdf provides "full native DOS games compatibility" Hopefully by that they mean it is connected through PC/PCI. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14498 of 52785, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sound Blaster 16 CT1740 DSP v4.05 for 18$.

CT1740.jpg
Filename
CT1740.jpg
File size
457.26 KiB
Views
File license

This is Rev.05 (059334) the last revision with v4.05, Rev.06 (069346) has v4.11 or v4.12.
I want to test how it performs compared to the later SB16 CT2230 and how noisy it is considering the CT1740 is nicknamed the "noise blaster".
But most importantly I want to test the hanging note bug and single-cycle DMA clicking.

EDIT:
Apparently the photos were not of the actual product.
I canceled the order and got a refund.

Last edited by James-F on 2016-11-02, 08:04. Edited 1 time in total.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 14499 of 52785, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:
Sound Blaster 16 CT1740 DSP v4.05 for 18$. […]
Show full quote

Sound Blaster 16 CT1740 DSP v4.05 for 18$.

CT1740.jpg

This is Rev.05 (059334) the last revision with v4.05, Rev.06 (069346) has v4.11 or v4.12.
I want to test how it performs compared to the later SB16 CT2230 and how noisy it is considering the CT1740 is nicknamed the "noise blaster".
But most importantly I want to test the hanging note bug and single-cycle DMA clicking.

Does the white sticker on the back say CT1730 or CT1740?