Topic actions

Reply 19720 of 52914, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

Ebay.
Keep in mind it will look like crap most likely. S-video on alot of cards where not the best as with s-video the output is filtered on the card and the TV. and most cards even top end cards used junk setups for s-video.
You far better off with a TV with VGA or a old AIW card.

Back in the day, I hooked up a similar era nVidia to a similar era TV, @800 x 600 it was "muddy" on the desktop and hard to read, looked like you were viewing a monitor through a fish tank that really needed cleaning.... however, you didn't notice this so much in a game, where it worked like 4xAA, but still kinda blurry/dim. ... and yes I think you could get crisper output on older TV outs.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19721 of 52914, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can anyone ID this motherboard from seller's potato shots? I may be interested in getting it with the 800EB and RAM on it if it's a Tualatin board with ISA.. He asks only $10 for it, though it's "untested".

04ba7ea1ac478fc14117de0975832cd1.jpeg

bebeaad6fc16497bb346e8d2bcca459d.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19722 of 52914, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Can anyone ID this motherboard from seller's potato shots? I may be interested in getting it with the 800EB and RAM on it if it's a Tualatin board with ISA.. He asks only $10 for it, though it's "untested".

<snip>

It looks quite beat up, corroded and dirty. It's hard to make out, but I don't think the type number on the north bridge ends with T, so it probably isn't Tualatin capable. But you don't need Tualatin support for a 800EB.

1982 to 2001

Reply 19724 of 52914, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see.. I already have a 733EB and the CPU would be a marginal upgrade at best, it could have been usefil if it were a 440BX Socket 370 though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19725 of 52914, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gah, those days when you remember that MOBOT on motherboards dot org was useful sometimes... I am not sure if I'm seeing an MS number above the AGP slot in top pic, looks kinda like it, but not finding pics of likely suspects to compare.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19726 of 52914, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Can anyone ID this motherboard from seller's potato shots? I may be interested in getting it with the 800EB and RAM on it if it […]
Show full quote

04ba7ea1ac478fc14117de0975832cd1.jpeg

bebeaad6fc16497bb346e8d2bcca459d.jpg

According to my Google research, I found the board information. It's a soltek sl-65kv2t with a VIA VT82C694T AGPSet, based on the VIA Apollo Pro133T chipset, and VIA VT82C686B I/O chipset with a VIA AC'97 Audio (Sound Blaster compatible for DOS). Supports up to 1.5GB SD-RAM, Pentium III, Celeron, and Cyrix III processors. The AGP is a 4x, and it's backwards compatible with a 2x AGP card (by disabling the 4x mode in the BIOS).

Slots:
1x AGP 4x
1x AMR (Audio Modem Riser)
5x PCI
1x ISA
3x SD-RAM PC-100/133 RAM Slots
Socket 370

Kind of odd that the board has DIP switches (mainly for the clock speed of the CPU that's installed <-- FSB * Clock Multiplier). It also looks like the board's seen better days. A good cleaning can make a huge improvement. Here's the PDF of the motherboard: Soltek SL-65KV2-T Motherboard Manual

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19727 of 52914, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
Can anyone ID this motherboard from seller's potato shots? I may be interested in getting it with the 800EB and RAM on it if it […]
Show full quote

<snip>[
/quote]
According to my Google research, I found the board information. It's a soltek sl-65kv2t with a VIA VT82C694T AGPSet, based on the VIA Apollo Pro133T chipset, and VIA VT82C686B I/O chipset with a VIA AC'97 Audio (Sound Blaster compatible for DOS). Supports up to 1.5GB SD-RAM, Pentium III, Celeron, and Cyrix III processors. The AGP is a 4x, and it's backwards compatible with a 2x AGP card (by disabling the 4x mode in the BIOS).
<snip>

I think that is a different board, the ATX connector and the CR2032 are in a different location. Looks a lot like it though, so it might be a different revision and/or type by Soltek.

1982 to 2001

Reply 19728 of 52914, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a 3Dfx Voodoo 1 PCI on a beautiful black PCB, any idea if it's worth anything?
It looks like this but mine has 2 heatsinks on the chips, looks original (and pretty "mint'y"
http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/palcal/3dfx/ … 65a4_top_hq.jpg

Reply 19729 of 52914, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
martin939 wrote:

I've got a 3Dfx Voodoo 1 PCI on a beautiful black PCB, any idea if it's worth anything?
It looks like this but mine has 2 heatsinks on the chips, looks original (and pretty "mint'y"
http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/palcal/3dfx/ … 65a4_top_hq.jpg

ALL 3dfx cards are worth something. Having heatsinks is even better, since Voodoos get pretty hot and you don't want to lose this sort of hardware to heat.

I have the same black card from A-Trend with dual heatsinks and judging from the cooling solution and fast memory (83MHz when the default is only 50)I think they expected people to overclock them.

EDIT: I assume yours looks like this?

P_20171014_182337.jpg
Filename
P_20171014_182337.jpg
File size
502.12 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Anyway, they are really fun cards to mess around with and are a great edition to any socket 7 build and mid 90s games.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 19731 of 52914, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Ebay.
Keep in mind it will look like crap most likely. S-video on alot of cards where not the best as with s-video the output is filtered on the card and the TV. and most cards even top end cards used junk setups for s-video.

I have an Savage2000 with native composite out but I don't want to use a rare card for displaying Doctor Who. Where on earth would I find a CRT TV with VGA?

The whole point is a more authentic vintage TV viewing experience.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 19732 of 52914, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was actually a couple of years, end of CRT era when you could get high def tube TVs, with VGA input. But yah, these aren't the droids you're looking for.

Reply 19733 of 52914, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Ebay.

I have an Savage2000 with native composite out but I don't want to use a rare card for displaying Doctor Who. Where on earth would I find a CRT TV with VGA?

The whole point is a more authentic vintage TV viewing experience.

Technically just about every CRT TV from the 90s on words had VGA support. If It has a OSD is has VGA support. But using it is not fun, you have to tap into the OSD chip. But I do recall some sony tv's having RGB inputs, Anything with RGB can be taped and used with VGA.

That aside I'd just buy a AIW card they are not hard to find and will look alot better, or at lest that's been my experience. Or a old Xbox with XBMC or maybe a dreamcast with the xvid player and hdd mod. Or even better a raspberry pi with XBMC. you have a lot of options here.

But the simplest thing would likely be the s-video cable for the 5950. If I recall you need a cable like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nvidia-Compupack … UwAAOSw42dZF5Ha

Reply 19734 of 52914, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:
Couldn't resist a 5950 Ultra for $10 and change on Ebay. Had a massive Zalman copper cooler on it that was bending the PCB. Remo […]
Show full quote

Couldn't resist a 5950 Ultra for $10 and change on Ebay. Had a massive Zalman copper cooler on it that was bending the PCB. Removed it and replaced with the original cooler that I restored back to working condition as I prefer everything original. Ebay description stated the original cooler fans had stopped working. Nothing a little oil can't solve. Spinning like new. Anyone interested in the Zalman cooler PM me as I have no use for it. You know the drill, I pay for shipping to keep the Cigarette Smoking Man happy. Has to be a U.S. shipping address.

I was surprised to find the 5950 Ultra was not much faster than my non-Ultra 5900. Maybe my 2x AGP port holding it back? Will find out with some testing I suppose. I would like to grab a Gainward 5950 Ultra Golden Sample one day as it has the red LED fans. Used to own one back when they were new. Should have kept that card.

zalmanparts.jpg
zalman.jpg
front.jpg
back.jpg
fansspin.jpg

Ok. So still no takers on this GPU cooler. Anyone who wants it free and clear go ahead and PM me. Refer to my post here:

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Reply 19735 of 52914, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
liqmat wrote:
Couldn't resist a 5950 Ultra for $10 and change on Ebay. Had a massive Zalman copper cooler on it that was bending the PCB. Remo […]
Show full quote

Couldn't resist a 5950 Ultra for $10 and change on Ebay. Had a massive Zalman copper cooler on it that was bending the PCB. Removed it and replaced with the original cooler that I restored back to working condition as I prefer everything original. Ebay description stated the original cooler fans had stopped working. Nothing a little oil can't solve. Spinning like new. Anyone interested in the Zalman cooler PM me as I have no use for it. You know the drill, I pay for shipping to keep the Cigarette Smoking Man happy. Has to be a U.S. shipping address.

I was surprised to find the 5950 Ultra was not much faster than my non-Ultra 5900. Maybe my 2x AGP port holding it back? Will find out with some testing I suppose. I would like to grab a Gainward 5950 Ultra Golden Sample one day as it has the red LED fans. Used to own one back when they were new. Should have kept that card.

zalmanparts.jpg
zalman.jpg
front.jpg
back.jpg
fansspin.jpg

aren't those LEDS suppose to be red.

Reply 19736 of 52914, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
liqmat wrote:
Show full quote

zalmanparts.jpg
zalman.jpg
front.jpg
back.jpg
fansspin.jpg

How are you supposed to cool hardware with red LEDs? Blue LED fans reduce heat while red ones make processors run faster (and much hotter).

My builds!

Reply 19737 of 52914, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote:

I have the same black card from A-Trend with dual heatsinks and judging from the cooling solution and fast memory (83MHz when the default is only 50)I think they expected people to overclock them.

I own that one too, new-in-box, it's a "A-Trend Helios 3D". It does not come with heatsinks. If ones are attached, they are not original.

Reply 19738 of 52914, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
Munx wrote:

I own that one too, new-in-box, it's a "A-Trend Helios 3D". It does not come with heatsinks. If ones are attached, they are not original.

Googling A-Trend Helios 3D shows a lot of models with heatsinks and some with no heatsinks having epoxy residue on the chips, which makes me believe that at least some were sold with cooling attached.

My builds!

Reply 19739 of 52914, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
liqmat wrote:
Show full quote

zalmanparts.jpg
zalman.jpg
front.jpg
back.jpg
fansspin.jpg

I know the Golden Sample models have the red LEDs, but this 5950U non-GS has the blue.

Reading a review from neoseeker.com apparently the box says the Ultra has cool blue fans, but their review model had the red. My Golden Sample model back in the early 2000s also had the red. This 5950U I got off Ebay has the blue for some reason. Not really worried about it. It is missing the metal bracket on the backplate heatsink that attaches the two screw poles, but I don't think that will pose a problem.

From the neoseeker.com review:
"Also of note is that the fans have 3 red LEDs in each one. On the box, it says that the LEDs light up in a "cool blue", but we think that red was a much better choice to go along with the flame motif on the heatsink. "