Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 27460 of 52877, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

If you buy stuff from someone who didn't do all the identifying & testing, the value of what you buy is simply very low, so the price should be too.

I often buy and sell untested hardware. People buy it anyway. Most of it works anyway. Return percentage is extremely low. Testing a € 50 graphics card (or what ever it might be) doesn't make financial sense (would take an hour to do it properly). I must admit that after all these years I do know what I should buy and what not. I do sort out the obvious damaged, broken and worthless stuff, so I only offer stuff that's likely good.

Last edited by SpectriaForce on 2019-02-26, 12:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27461 of 52877, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
frudi wrote:

I was strolling through the local flea market today when I spotted a cardboard box full of all motherboards and some other components among a bunch of tools, pots and other non-computer items, just laid out on a blanket on the ground. On top of the pile, recognisable from far away, was the unmistakable shape of a K6 family CPU sitting in a Baby AT shaped board. I've been wanting a super socket 7 board and CPU for a long time now, so I zero in on it immediately. When I get my hands on it, to my surprise it's not any mere K6 CPU, it's a K6-3! 400 MHz, but I don't even care about the frequency at this point, I'm just super stoked that it's an actual K6-3. These are extremely hard to find here in Europe and especially in a small country like mine. I've been hunting for one on European ebays and locally for months and they don't even show up.

I'm already excited about the find, so next I check the motherboard. Ali Aladdin V chipset is easily recognisable, cool. Looking over the board for any signs of damage, nothing stands out other than a couple slightly bent pins; no corrosion, nothing broken, no missing elements. Looking really good. Last thing I check for are brand and model markings... turns out it's an Asus P5A-B. At this point I can't even believe my luck, I figure no way is this thing gonna boot up once I get it home, I can't be THAT lucky.

What's the brand of the elco's on that P5A-B? I have never owned one with those green caps.

Reply 27462 of 52877, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sifted through a ton of hardware today. Picked up a few pieces.

Quantum Fireball 2GB IDE (purrs like a kitten)

fireball.jpg
Filename
fireball.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Some video cards for different builds

velocity.jpg
Filename
velocity.jpg
File size
990.78 KiB
Views
File license
s3.jpg
Filename
s3.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license
ati.jpg
Filename
ati.jpg
File size
986.5 KiB
Views
File license

Last, but not least, a nice Sound Blaster 32 in great condition.

creative.jpg
Filename
creative.jpg
File size
1022.09 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by liqmat on 2019-02-28, 10:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27464 of 52877, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think those use power adapters. They were compatible with USB ports using the joystick to USB adapter. I have one myself connected to my Socket 370 desktop. Just so you know, it only works in Windows 9x and DOS Box (not pure DOS, unfortunately).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 27465 of 52877, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Sidewinder joystick with Force Feedback certainly had power adapter. I know since I owned one myself back in the day 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 27466 of 52877, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the vibrations. Forgot about that.

Reply 27467 of 52877, by Zero_sugar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

I don't think those use power adapters. They were compatible with USB ports using the joystick to USB adapter. I have one myself connected to my Socket 370 desktop. Just so you know, it only works in Windows 9x and DOS Box (not pure DOS, unfortunately).

They require a 12v wallwart. I have an aftermarket one which works fine, but it would be nice to find an official Micorsoft one.

Reply 27468 of 52877, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quantum Fireballs are, in my experience, one of the most reliable old IDE hard drives of their time. All my Western Digitals and Seagates of less than 8GB capacity bit it, but my Quantums rock on.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27469 of 52877, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zero_sugar wrote:

Two thrift store finds this month. Both without their power adapter. Both work perfectly. Has one of these ever been found in the wild with its AC adapter?

AFAIK, they used generic adapters? If you know the right voltage and amps, it shouldn't be hard to find a generic replacement. Half my old devices don't use their original adapter and I never had any issues as long as you make sure the voltage is correct. If you use higher amps, the device will only draw what's needed, if you use lower amps, it's often still fine (many devices use less amps than advertised) and at worse, the device won't work properly but it shouldn't cause any damage.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 27470 of 52877, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a Zalman cooler for my Socket A build..

Yay:
DK6eKAYl.png

Hmm, that doesn't look new.
zEvLXbwl.jpg

Yep, caked with dust and doesn't have the 462 mounting brackets in the box..
5WczEISl.jpg

Well, this guy is a jerk. Left negative feedback after his rant.. maybe he'll at least have the mounting brackets and I can retract the negative feedback.. But yea, looks like I just try to score freebies off Ebay all day. I mean, I even messaged the guy before leaving feedback to see if he just might still have the brackets on hand. I didn't open a dispute either. 🤣 I still am keeping the cooler since I need it.. worst case is I'll come across mounting brackets later. (seller doesn't offer returns anyway)
CDao2F1l.png

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 27472 of 52877, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is why I ask for pictures before purchasing said item since they use the stock photos from other sites, like Newegg or Amazon without permission and I go by ratings on their profile to see how bad their feedback is.

Reply 27473 of 52877, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Voodoo3 2000 AGP which completes my V3 collection.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    210.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    428.14 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 27474 of 52877, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Respect.

I got myself a Super Denise chip for my Amiga 500; that upgrades it to a complete ECS machine.

CSG-8373-R4-PD.jpg

Reply 27475 of 52877, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

nCTwgZi.jpg

Shuttle HOT-569A motherboard (socket 7, intel 430tx) with pentium 150, S3 Virge PCI graphics, and some sort of an Yamaha ISA sound card, has YMF719E-S chip that supposedly has OPL3 support, SB Pro 2 compatibility and no hanging note midi bug. Got them all locally for very cheap. Mobo seems to be very picky about ram tho, it doesnt like any of the sdram sticks I currently have

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 27476 of 52877, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
God Of Gaming wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/nCTwgZi.jpg […]
Show full quote

nCTwgZi.jpg

Shuttle HOT-569A motherboard (socket 7, intel 430tx) with pentium 150, S3 Virge PCI graphics, and some sort of an Yamaha ISA sound card, has YMF719E-S chip that supposedly has OPL3 support, SB Pro 2 compatibility and no hanging note midi bug. Got them all locally for very cheap. Mobo seems to be very picky about ram tho, it doesnt like any of the sdram sticks I currently have

Try real PC66 ram sticks of 64MB or less..

Reply 27477 of 52877, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:
frudi wrote:

I was strolling through the local flea market today when I spotted a cardboard box full of all motherboards and some other components among a bunch of tools, pots and other non-computer items, just laid out on a blanket on the ground. On top of the pile, recognisable from far away, was the unmistakable shape of a K6 family CPU sitting in a Baby AT shaped board. I've been wanting a super socket 7 board and CPU for a long time now, so I zero in on it immediately. When I get my hands on it, to my surprise it's not any mere K6 CPU, it's a K6-3! 400 MHz, but I don't even care about the frequency at this point, I'm just super stoked that it's an actual K6-3. These are extremely hard to find here in Europe and especially in a small country like mine. I've been hunting for one on European ebays and locally for months and they don't even show up.

I'm already excited about the find, so next I check the motherboard. Ali Aladdin V chipset is easily recognisable, cool. Looking over the board for any signs of damage, nothing stands out other than a couple slightly bent pins; no corrosion, nothing broken, no missing elements. Looking really good. Last thing I check for are brand and model markings... turns out it's an Asus P5A-B. At this point I can't even believe my luck, I figure no way is this thing gonna boot up once I get it home, I can't be THAT lucky.

What's the brand of the elco's on that P5A-B? I have never owned one with those green caps.

The green ones are Sanyo and there's also a pair of black ones mixed in there, those are Rubycon.

Reply 27478 of 52877, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Try real PC66 ram sticks of 64MB or less..

Yeah I will, sound card came last, and seller had a 16mb pc66 samsung stick of some sort, so I asked him to include it in the package. Looking at it now, tho, its dual sided, so idk about this. Will test it anyways

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 27479 of 52877, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:

Bought a Zalman cooler for my Socket A build..

I hope you paid paypal - they will almost always rule in favor of the buyer

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532