hardware.jpg
    File size
    1.25 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 12061 of 52984, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Paid off my debt to PayPal.

Bought a PAS16 - I believe it is from another Vogoner but the transaction did not happen on this forum, so no rules were broken. Looking forward to that getting here because I have really really missed my Pentium and whilst I can run it without sound or with a shoddy ESS I have spare, it just isn't the same.

I also grabbed an S3 Trio 64V+ with Scenic MX2 because I had no luck with my ISA RealMagic card (It was stubborn and awkward to operate) plus I always wanted to play around with one of these. Helps that it wasn't really too costly either. Here's the listing. Such devices probably aren't much interest to anyone else, but I'm a video guy, I originally got into this hobby out of necessity specifically because I am a video guy, I find cards related to video decoding or encoding interesting and like finding excuses to work with them.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 12062 of 52984, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, I have seen dozens of cards with the 'Scenic Highway' header, but never the actual addon card!

HighTreason wrote:

I also grabbed an S3 Trio 64V+ with Scenic MX2 because I had no luck with my ISA RealMagic card (It was stubborn and awkward to operate) plus I always wanted to play around with one of these. Helps that it wasn't really too costly either. Here's the listing. Such devices probably aren't much interest to anyone else, but I'm a video guy, I originally got into this hobby out of necessity specifically because I am a video guy, I find cards related to video decoding or encoding interesting and like finding excuses to work with them.

1982 to 2001

Reply 12063 of 52984, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HighTreason if you find out how to use the Scenic decoder do tell, I had no luck with mine:

fp76eo.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 12065 of 52984, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's every risk it won't work, but it wasn't much more than a Trio 64V+ with the extra RAM anyway so I figured it was worth a go.

I have driers for Win31 (Which the intended system is using) but these appear to be locked down to the Trio 64V+ though this may not be the case. It appears that you have to install VFW (Possibly modified by S3 like some Viper cards required) and the Scenic driver, then it will use the regular Windows applications.

I can upload the drivers I have if you like, but obviously I don't even know if they work on mine yet and who knows what they might do if they don't work - the SPEA VFW for the ShowTime basically disabled video entirely once the card was removed and it was not easy to make the OS work again, I ended up re-installing from scratch in the end. I'm happy to risk my Windows install on my card as it's a clean install and will probably break anyway due to other changes in the system since.

I really ought to look into access to Vogons Drivers...

Reply 12066 of 52984, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

another things came to me

Chieftec for watercooling project and Tyan 2x sA in it like bonus.

DSCF2974_resize_zpsmcxpq7ea.jpg

DSCF2975_resize_zpsswhdlcsc.jpg

DSCF2973_resize_zpsaqu0effa.jpg

few 512 rimms

DSCF2921_resize_zpsbvwvh1eq.jpg

and lot of vgas

Creative G256

DSCF2976_resize_zpszfooa36t.jpg

Asus TNT 2 PRO Deluxe

DSCF2989_resize_zpswgwajlbx.jpg

Hercules G2 GTS

DSCF2990_resize_zps3eux32o8.jpg

Hercules G3 Ti 500

DSCF2991_resize_zpsjgbhlxab.jpg

Asus FX5800

DSCF2992_resize_zpscfwp0yui.jpg

Club 3D R9700

DSCF2988_resize_zps4kjf6ien.jpg

and some newone but not usual

3870X2 with DDR4

DSCF2986_resize_zpsudh29wo3.jpg

and 2x 3870X2 with DDR3 + lot of blocks

DSCF2996_resize_zpsuwdbtr0v.jpg

DSCF2998_resize_zpsun8pneqt.jpg

DSCF2999_resize_zpsuh3ddhz2.jpg

new one MSI slotA

DSCF2994_resize_zps6ua7iqup.jpg

DSCF2995_resize_zpsl1tiqsaq.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 12067 of 52984, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrau wrote:

@keropi may i ask what you have tried? imho it should be as simple as inserting the add-on and running a supporting media player (xing i think)

It's been some time now but I am pretty sure I did not try XING. I installed the vga's driver, the "S3 Video Live" thing and just tested with mpeg-1 files with windows media player (IIRC).
I'll hunt down XING for a future test 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 12068 of 52984, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.s3graphics.com/en/drivers/legacy_s … re_archive.aspx this may be relevant,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S3-Hardware-MPEG-Boar … =item51dfaef5d4 photos suggest it works more like HighTreason says, in the manual it says tojust open an mpeg file via media player;

Reply 12069 of 52984, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That makes me feel a bit jealous! Where did you find it?

chose007 wrote:
another things came to me ... new one MSI slotA […]
Show full quote

new one MSI slotA

1982 to 2001

Reply 12070 of 52984, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am pretty sure there is still an ebay seller selling those MSI boards NOS for a reasonable price.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 12072 of 52984, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Cyrix200+ wrote:

That makes me feel a bit jealous! Where did you find it?

chose007 wrote:
another things came to me ... new one MSI slotA […]
Show full quote

new one MSI slotA

There a seller on eBay selling them nos
I bought one but it was a dud and was missing it's I/o shield. I got a full refund and got to keep the board although.

Reply 12073 of 52984, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

My most recent hall.

Sorry for the crummy photo.
I got 3 pent 2 a pent 2 celly. A 650mhz 100fsb pent3
Gigabyte rage 128. Tnt card of sorts. 8500 agp. S3 virge, slocket and some sort of 3dlabs card.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-05-18, 20:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12074 of 52984, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are my latest purchases:

UCsmP1Ol.jpg
The Toshiba T4600 I think I mentioned earlier. After having the PSU board recapped, it now fires up fine, but still needs some attention; I need to sort some of the cabling layout inside, and the floppy drive doesn't work (it just makes a horrible whirring noise, almost like a belt has come off the motor if that's how it works), so I'll have to load MS-DOS and Windows 3.11 on another system. I'll use a 512MB CF card with it, as the 800MB HDD it came with is also bad - as were most of the floppy disks it came with, sadly. I do have its original power brick, which works fine. it has a 486SL @ 33 MHz, a monochrome display, and 4MB of RAM.

s7UEZ88l.jpg
A Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet". Don't know exactly which model this is, thanks to the smashed screen (although it is a TFT); it was sold as being a 400 MHz Pismo, which it isn't. The HDD does work and it boots up fine to Mac OS 9, but there's a login password so I haven't gotten any further yet. It does have a good battery though, and the CD drive sounds like it should be OK. Also, does anyone know what language the non-Latin characters on the keyboard are from?

5O9YlMQl.jpg
An IBM ThinkPad 560X. This is an incredibly thin and light laptop - few modern ones will be lighter. It doesn't have any internal floppy or CD drive, but it works fine with the TP600 external floppy drive, and I hope the PCMCIA ports work. I had to fit a HDD (a 10GB drive), and that now shouts "OMG you have bad sectorz" at me... because I'm pretty sure the BIOS doesn't recognise anything bigger than 8GB. With a bad main battery and CMOS battery (the latter isn't even fitted right now), I can't update it, yey! Everything bar those batteries seems to work fine though, at least what I've tested so far. It has a 233MHz Pentium MMX CPU, NeoMagic MagicMedia 128XD graphics, and a 12.1" 800x600 screen.

I also bought another Satellite 460CDX for parts, although I need to find my longer screwdriver, and sadly both its CD drive and battery were stone dead (the CD drive doesn't even try and spin a disk, which I've never seen before - the light just stays on solidly).

Reply 12075 of 52984, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

A Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet". Don't know exactly which model this is, thanks to the smashed screen (although it is a TFT); it was sold as being a 400 MHz Pismo, which it isn't. The HDD does work and it boots up fine to Mac OS 9, but there's a login password so I haven't gotten any further yet. It does have a good battery though, and the CD drive sounds like it should be OK. Also, does anyone know what language the non-Latin characters on the keyboard are from?

my money is on Japanese.

http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-Chinese,-Japanese … n-Writing-Apart

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12076 of 52984, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

A Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet". Don't know exactly which model this is, thanks to the smashed screen (although it is a TFT); it was sold as being a 400 MHz Pismo, which it isn't.

I'd be pissed off if I got a Wallstreet instead of a Pismo. It's not even like the differences are that subtle - the Pismo is pretty much a completely different colour! Love he design of those laptops - totally modular and so very easy to service. Could be worse - the early models with passive matrix were a bit shit.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 12077 of 52984, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whilst I haven't technically bought it yet, I have just placed an order for the 12" vinyl of "Megatronic - Power of dancing" because it is one of my favorite records - especially the Deejays Mix which is on said vinyl - and therefore I must own it on a proper medium instead of a crappy digital knock-off.

Never ordered from anyone on Discogs before so I hope it goes smoothly, the seller has to determine the total manually. He seems to have a 100% positive rating anyway, so if that is saying anything there should be no problems and it shouldn't cost much (Around 4 Euro for the record and supposedly 7.50 Euro shipping) so I won't be too upset if it does end horribly. You don't know if you don't try and I have never seen this record come up on eBay.

With pretty much all the computing stuff out of the way, the hoarding of records has begun. Past a few last repairs I have to do or missing parts for a couple of machines I doubt you'll all be seeing me in this thread very much in the future as I won't fill it with non-computing items. I expect I'll still grab the occasional thing though and I'll surely be around in the Modern Hardware and Dumpster Find thread, plus I'll still be as active on the forum as ever because I'm not giving the computers up, I just own as much of what I wanted to own that I'm ever likely to find and have been priced far enough out anyway that there's simply nothing much left for me to buy anymore. I have thought for a while about trying to get away with starting a "What retro music have you listened to lately" thread, primarily so I could annoy everyone with obnoxious 90s beats and questionable 80s ballads, but I figured it wouldn't fly and I can't be bothered to venture to other parts of the forum to see if something like that exists already.

I'd better stop now so I can pay the rent this week.

Reply 12078 of 52984, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

A Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet". Don't know exactly which model this is, thanks to the smashed screen (although it is a TFT); it was sold as being a 400 MHz Pismo, which it isn't.

I'd be pissed off if I got a Wallstreet instead of a Pismo. It's not even like the differences are that subtle - the Pismo is pretty much a completely different colour! Love he design of those laptops - totally modular and so very easy to service. Could be worse - the early models with passive matrix were a bit shit.

I wasn't entirely amused, considering the whole reason I bought a Pismo was to take the screen across from my defective Lombard, which may have needed a cable swap, but otherwise shouldn't have been problematic. That, and whilst it wasn't exactly bank-breakingly expensive, it was also a little more than I'd have ideally liked to have paid., Goodness knows if I'll be able to do that screen swap with this, not least since I know it doesn't have the 14" screen, but hey ho. At least I know the VGA out works, although it didn't want to boot from a CD-RW of Mac OS 9's installer (unsurprisingly).

The pictures weren't clear enough for me to make out the model code, and I'm not familiar enough with Powerbook G3s (or at least, I wasn't) to spot the difference in blurry photos.

Reply 12079 of 52984, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a CT3980 from a guy at work, an awe32 with all the fixings. Dropped 2x16mb sticks and diagnose.exe tested the ram, said its all ok!

I wrote an old dos awe32 s3m player.. now I need to find the source for it 😒

15cAgA3h.jpg

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--