VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 19320 of 52786, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bidded on a Commodore 64 on eBay and I won. The C64 has the reset button mod on It, which is like icing on a cake: top quality and faster than the power switch. I'm planning on buying the 1541 drive, Fast Loader cartridge, and video cable. Also plan on getting a mouse, joystick, and some games on cartridges and floppies. The reason why I'm going for the fast loader cartridge is how fast the floppy drive will go.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19321 of 52786, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Srandista wrote:

Funny fact though. This card is not working with HDMI monitors. If you try to connect HDMI monitor via DVI->HDMI adapter, monitor will stay in sleep mode, no matter what. With DVI, there is no problem. What's most surprising to me is, that with my 9500 with R300 chip, which is really similar to R400, everything works as expected, and I can transfer my video signal even in FullHD resolution. Even Win 98 installer have no problem with that setup. Just wanna let you know, if you will try to connect this retro card to not-so-retro monitor.

Today I was trying to capture some old ATI demos with a Game Broadcaster HD. First I hooked up a Radeon 9100 (just a rebadged 8500) with a DVI to HDMI cable and no luck, no matter what I do it doesn't show anything, it always says "Out of Range". Then I try via VGA, suppossedly more compatible with old cards and again no luck. After a pair of hours or so of frustration I swapped the card for a Radeon 9600 and "plop"... instant image. Fortunately the card is still old enough to run the demos I want 🤣.

Reply 19322 of 52786, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote:
I'm sure many here would argue that this isn't retro, but...its DX10. Most modern stuff wont work on it anymore. […]
Show full quote

I'm sure many here would argue that this isn't retro, but...its DX10. Most modern stuff wont work on it anymore.

P_20171001_192350_HDR.jpg

Geforce 9800GT - a re-badged 8800GT. For 3 Euros 😀

Already own an 8800GT, so if i can flash this one into an 8800 as well I could have a nice SLI pair.
Or might not even need a flash, if what I've read so far is true.

Funny it's easy to forget that such retro-looking GPU is DX10. Where was the last time we saw green PCB?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 19323 of 52786, by Vallenrod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Two new members of the family:

CT1320C

CT1320C.jpg
Filename
CT1320C.jpg
File size
166.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

CT1350B Rev 4

CT1350B Rev 4.jpg
Filename
CT1350B Rev 4.jpg
File size
150.84 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 19324 of 52786, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Bidded on a Commodore 64 on eBay and I won. The C64 has the reset button mod on It, which is like icing on a cake: top quality and faster than the power switch. I'm planning on buying the 1541 drive, Fast Loader cartridge, and video cable. Also plan on getting a mouse, joystick, and some games on cartridges and floppies. The reason why I'm going for the fast loader cartridge is how fast the floppy drive will go.

Id skip the 1541 drive and just get a uIEC or Ultimate1541

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 19325 of 52786, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Munx wrote:
I'm sure many here would argue that this isn't retro, but...its DX10. Most modern stuff wont work on it anymore. […]
Show full quote

I'm sure many here would argue that this isn't retro, but...its DX10. Most modern stuff wont work on it anymore.

P_20171001_192350_HDR.jpg

Geforce 9800GT - a re-badged 8800GT. For 3 Euros 😀

Already own an 8800GT, so if i can flash this one into an 8800 as well I could have a nice SLI pair.
Or might not even need a flash, if what I've read so far is true.

Funny it's easy to forget that such retro-looking GPU is DX10. Where was the last time we saw green PCB?

The most recent greens I can think of are the 8 series gerforce cards from leadtek and some s939 motherboards from MSI. I don't really miss green PCBs as they kind of associate with "generic" hardware for me.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 19326 of 52786, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BloodyCactus wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Those aren't available on eBay, only overseas.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19327 of 52786, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Those aren't available on eBay, only overseas.

quite a few sd2iec on ebay. store.go4retro.com is a valid place to buy from (usa located) for uIEC and lots of C= stuff.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 19328 of 52786, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

just bought this unidetified AdLib Multimedia... I'ts not MSC 16... looks even simplier.

Attachments

• Adlib.jpg
    Filename
    Adlib.jpg
    File size
    357.12 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Unidetified AdLib Multimedia
    File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 19329 of 52786, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have another lot of soundcards on the way...

Mostly Creative. Gonna keep a few and probably sell the rest.
Sellers pic:

sound_card_lot.jpg
Filename
sound_card_lot.jpg
File size
417.52 KiB
Views
File license

Also have an IBM Aptiva sound card S-16WP1/L with the original wavetable daughtercard. From the research I did before buying it, it looks to basically be an Acer Magic S23A in functionality minus IDE except for the wavetable part is a daughtercard instead of built onto the board.
Sellers pic:

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
288.12 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19330 of 52786, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

I worked at a refurbished computer reseller in the mid 00's in the US, and among many other things, Medion computers came through it for a limited time. I still have a Medion webcam - somewhere, at least, not in use. And yes, there's Aldi stores in the US. So my memory is that Medion did try to give "Medion USA" a go, but was ultimately unsuccessful.

Interesting, thanks for this information.

Reply 19331 of 52786, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Also have an IBM Aptiva sound card S-16WP1/L with the original wavetable daughtercard. From the research I did before buying it, it looks to basically be an Acer Magic S23A in functionality minus IDE except for the wavetable part is a daughtercard instead of built onto the board.

Cool. When it arrives, can you post a pic of the daughterboard? That's one I don't have, and I'm curious what patchset ROM it uses.

Reply 19332 of 52786, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

That's a nice find, I have that one and really like that GM chipset. It should look like this I suspect:

P1020810_zpsvg3hsflp.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 19333 of 52786, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a nice find, I have that one and really like that GM chipset. It should look like this I suspect:

Looks identical to the Hizon DB333, only with 1 MB ROM instead of 512 KB. Too bad it can not do any effects, making it sound very dry.

Reply 19334 of 52786, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My today achevements:

- Casio GZ-50 GM midi module.

15abbca445bfbecf50a599abb91a.jpg
Filename
15abbca445bfbecf50a599abb91a.jpg
File size
28.28 KiB
Views
File comment
Casio GZ-50
File license

- Tyan Trinity S1590 AT100 - new old stock. It came with K6-III+ 400 CPU

TyanTrinity.jpg
Filename
TyanTrinity.jpg
File size
330.16 KiB
Views
File comment
Tyan Trinity
File license

- 2x identical 128mb cl2 100mhz dimm memory sticks 😀 - I know it's nothing special but I wanted theese from some time.

Ram.jpg
Filename
Ram.jpg
File size
190.79 KiB
Views
File comment
128 CL2
File license

- MSI N1996 mATX super socket 7 (ALI) motherboard - with soundcard and graphics integrated. I came with AMD K6-2 475

MSI_1996.jpg
Filename
MSI_1996.jpg
File size
329.65 KiB
Views
File comment
MSI N1996 mATX
File license

Reply 19335 of 52786, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:

Just clicked the link in your sig. It says the sale is closed, but I made an offer for the VA 503+ if available at my price 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 19336 of 52786, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote:
Batyra wrote:

Just clicked the link in your sig. It says the sale is closed, but I made an offer for the VA 503+ if available at my price 😀

Thanks 😉
I replied to your message 😀

Reply 19337 of 52786, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:

- MSI N1996 mATX super socket 7 (ALI) motherboard - with soundcard and graphics integrated. I came with AMD K6-2 475

"N1996" is a generic supplier code and not the actual model number; the real unique model should be printed here (something like "MICRO-STAR Model MS-####"):

MSI_1996_model.jpg
Filename
MSI_1996_model.jpg
File size
14.46 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 19338 of 52786, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote:

The most recent greens I can think of are the 8 series gerforce cards from leadtek and some s939 motherboards from MSI. I don't really miss green PCBs as they kind of associate with "generic" hardware for me.

Same here. Too bad most of my favorite hardware have "generic green" PCB, notably 3dfx Voodoo5 5500. Well at least Sound Blaster AWE 64 Gold are partially brown.

Wasn't ATI who started the trend of non-green PCB by using red PCB?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 19339 of 52786, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Wasn't ATI who started the trend of non-green PCB by using red PCB?

Let's not forget Gravis! 😉

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg