VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 26221 of 52977, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:

I bought another Yamaha Synth MIDI card, the SW1000XG, after I recently got the SW60XG.

I think I got the Yamaha-crave, please send help!

Nice!
I just bought an SW1000XG as well (Paid 40 euros for it, which is a reasonable price I think).
Don't know when I will be putting it into use though, since I don't have a machine that I can install it in at the moment. 😀

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 26222 of 52977, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To the questions at hand:

Salient wrote:

Nice!
I just bought an SW1000XG as well (Paid 40 euros for it, which is a reasonable price I think).
Don't know when I will be putting it into use though, since I don't have a machine that I can install it in at the moment. 😀

Did you get the midi breakout cable with yours?
Did you - by any chance - get the SUPPORT CD with yours? Because the internet still lacks a proper image of that CD, I have searched far and wide. If you have it, it could be added t o the VOGONS Driver Database 😀

Last edited by jaZz_KCS on 2018-12-01, 16:40. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 26223 of 52977, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One of these....
For Amiga use, yet they can be used for music equipment if anyone know what they are doing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/No-solder-ROM-switch … bD-bu:rk:1:pf:0

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 26224 of 52977, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Did you - by any chance - get the SUPPORT CD with yours? Because the internet still lacks a proper image of that CD, I have searched far and wide. If you have it, it could be added t o the VOGONS Driver Database 😀

I have actually still no Idea of the drivers and cables will be included. It should arrive today so I will reply here. The photo only showed the card, but on numerous occasions with other things the photo didn't show everything that came with them so there is still a chance.

Reply 26225 of 52977, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Salient wrote:
jaZz_KCS wrote:

I have actually still no Idea of the drivers and cables will be included. It should arrive today so I will reply here. The photo only showed the card, but on numerous occasions with other things the photo didn't show everything that came with them so there is still a chance.

Great. It's not so much about the very early drivers that are on them, as they are quite old and do not let the card run in multiclient mode, so in this case the newer drivers you can find on the net are actually better. But it's very much worth it for the metric shit tonne of sample songs that are on it, especially now due to the fact that XGCentral is long gone.

PS: Also there are a few other driver models on there as well which are a tad hard to find.

Reply 26226 of 52977, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
My $30 486 set arrived: […]
Show full quote

My $30 486 set arrived:

Chicony-CH-471-A.jpg Intel-486-DX4-75.jpg Pine-Technology-PT524-8-G.jpg

Pine-Technology-PT-628-A.jpg Surecom-EP-312-V.jpg

I could have gone for another set with 8KB WB Am486-DX4/100 but that did not have a VLB IO card and came with just a VLB 5424.. I think this was the better deal (as I already had some WT i486 and Am486 DX4-100 parts but no DX4-75s)

Nice, I hope to build a 486dx-100 VLB build soon. I need to find the right motherboard.
What model is yours ?

Reply 26227 of 52977, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
Windows9566 wrote:

both the bioses are pretty restricted, the hp one is a bit more than the gateway one

Can they be flashed to their non-oem Award/AMI/Phoenix BIOSes?

IDK, maybe not.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 26228 of 52977, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jaZz_KCS wrote:

I have this CD.. guessing it is the one you are looking for.

CD.jpg
Filename
CD.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'll image it and stick it on my repository and on vogonsdrivers.

I also have the MIDI breakout cable. Guessing you need the pinout?

EDIT:
The SW1000XG CD ISO and scanned CD label images are now on vogonsdrivers and on my XG repository.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 469&menustate=0

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26229 of 52977, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hopefully it wont have to come to this as the seller promised to look for the cable as he said it sounded familiar when I described it.

Nicely done adding the missing Support CD for the SW1000XG! 😁

Reply 26230 of 52977, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Great. It's not so much about the very early drivers that are on them, as they are quite old and do not let the card run in multiclient mode, so in this case the newer drivers you can find on the net are actually better. But it's very much worth it for the metric shit tonne of sample songs that are on it, especially now due to the fact that XGCentral is long gone.

PS: Also there are a few other driver models on there as well which are a tad hard to find.

The card arrived in the meantime, but unfortunately it was indeed just the bare card, nothing extra came with it. 🙁

Reply 26231 of 52977, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Nice, I hope to build a 486dx-100 VLB build soon. I need to find the right motherboard.
What model is yours ?

I have quite a few, I haven't completely decided on which one to use myself..

Octek Hippo VL+ DCA
ECS 486UL-1
Chicony CH-471A
PC Partner 486CV

(the one pictured above is the Chicony motherboard)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26232 of 52977, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Likely the last two PCI sound cards I will need, I now have pretty much every chipset I would want to try.. (Well, except CS4624, for which I would happily buy a Terratec DMX XFire, but it's not a pressing matter as I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz with CS4630 which is basically a CS4624 but better..)

Aureal-Sound-Com-V90.jpg S-Link-SL-41-A-YMF-724.jpg

I had an Aureal 1 and an Aureal 2 card but no Aureal Advantage cards.. I understand these are better than 1 but worse than 2 and have more CPU overhead, so this will go into my P3-1000 Deskpro SFF PC to replace the FM-801 in there.. The FM-801 has better OPL3 for sure, but lacking A3D was a pain on my side..

I also lacked a YMF-7xx PCI sound card which I now have, albeit a cheap Chinese OEM.. Which got me wondering - what is the difference between a YFM-724 and a YMF-744 card?

Reply 26233 of 52977, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I also lacked a YMF-7xx PCI sound card which I now have, albeit a cheap Chinese OEM..

Erk...be sure to check whether that one actually uses a YMF-7xx chip, and not a CMI-87xx chip or similar with changed text on top of it. Some modern Chinese cards are fake and use rebranded chips from other manufacturers.

Reply 26234 of 52977, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I also lacked a YMF-7xx PCI sound card which I now have, albeit a cheap Chinese OEM..

Erk...be sure to check whether that one actually uses a YMF-7xx chip, and not a CMI-87xx chip or similar with changed text on top of it. Some modern Chinese cards are fake and use rebranded chips from other manufacturers.

The packaging size (20mmx20mm) and pincount (144) are correct for a YMF-724; CMI-87xx cards are smaller in size and have less pins I believe. It's also an F revision (officially exists) and has an onboard AC97 codec.

Its gameport is probably not functional though, seeing as how unpopulated the PCB is.. Likely doesn't have high quality filtering either. It will do the job for testing purposes though.

Reply 26235 of 52977, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought very cheap this 486DLC system:

ski3hlMl.jpg

It came with a CT1350B (not suitable for CMS upgrade though, bummer) , a trident 8900C vga, a controller, 2x CF cards , a floppy and 8MB of ram.
The most interesting thing for me at this point was the 1993 motherboard that came with an AWARD 4.50 BIOS, had no idea you could find it in 386 systems.
The SARC chipset is just a rebranded UMC491 , got UMBs working fine with URAM.

When it boots you get this checks screen:

9YoC01il.jpg

BIOS is the usual one

5scK90Jl.jpg

and speedsys results without an tweaking whatsever

se8OQOnl.jpg

This mobo was a pleasant surprise - if the CT1350B was a cms-capable one then this would be an unreal deal 😁 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 26236 of 52977, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice system. Weird to see such an updated version of the Award BIOS on such an old board.

Speaking about unreal deals, I just scored this:

gZHDVShl.jpg

Please...send help. I keep on telling myself that it's ok, that it's just a christmas present from me to myself.

Reply 26237 of 52977, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jaZz_KCS wrote:
Nice system. Weird to see such an updated version of the Award BIOS on such an old board. […]
Show full quote

Nice system. Weird to see such an updated version of the Award BIOS on such an old board.

Speaking about unreal deals, I just scored this:

gZHDVShl.jpg

Please...send help. I keep on telling myself that it's ok, that it's just a christmas present from me to myself.

So jelly! Awesome score!

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26238 of 52977, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
I bought very cheap this 486DLC system: […]