VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 4060 of 53087, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the 5160, I'd take the graphics card out, clean the contacts, check the card slot's contacts, and reseat it. That might fix the issue. I got my STFm today, but it doesn't get any further than a white screen at the moment - so I'll need to fit a floppy drive before trying again. The poor thing seems to have been scavenged for screws - most of them are missing.

Reply 4061 of 53087, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

Kind of strange that you would throw away a cool haul of old cards like that 😕 . I would keep them or just sell them on eBay at least or give them away to people like me that would gladly needlessly hoard them away with the rest of my retro collection 🤣

+1 !!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4062 of 53087, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
retrofanatic wrote:

Kind of strange that you would throw away a cool haul of old cards like that 😕 . I would keep them or just sell them on eBay at least or give them away to people like me that would gladly needlessly hoard them away with the rest of my retro collection 🤣

+1 !!

I'm hoping it was more a minor quibble with VooDooMan's English than anything else, as it would be a crying shame to rescue something, only to immediately bin it again. My Vaio now dual-boots XP, although XP definitely is as sluggish as you'd expect when combining SP3 with 256 MB of RAM.

Reply 4063 of 53087, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Theres a 5800 Ultra in that dumpster pic. I would not throw that away. That is like finding a free voodoo 5 6000.
Many brands were recalled shortly after release from my knowledge, and not to many really exist.
They are an infamous card too as its the first Vcard with a blower fan that ran superloud and at high RPM. Many Photoshopped pics of the reference card being used as a leaf blower :d on many review sites. The Stock 5800 doesn't have that see through transparent look or the exhaust out of the case.

Reply 4064 of 53087, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlphaWing wrote:

Theres a 5800 Ultra in that dumpster pic. I would not throw that away. That is like finding a free voodoo 5 6000.
Many brands were recalled shortly after release from my knowledge, and not to many really exist.
They are an infamous card too as its the first Vcard with a blower fan that ran superloud and at high RPM. Many Photoshopped pics of the reference card being used as a leaf blower :d on many review sites. The Stock 5800 doesn't have that see through transparent look or the exhaust out of the case.

I would keep it just because it's a Terratec FX5800 Ultra. Didn't even know those existed until I saw that pic. Hell, I'll take the entire lot so that stuff doesn't end up in the bin.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 4065 of 53087, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MaxWar wrote:
^This is a cute collection of video card. Would be a shame to throw them back in he Dumpster! I do not see anything that is par […]
Show full quote

^This is a cute collection of video card. Would be a shame to throw them back in he Dumpster!
I do not see anything that is particularly valuable but you could try selling them as a cheap lot on ebay, or just offer them for free to someone if they pay shipping.
At the last option I would just put them on a small box on the side walk with a sign <Free> And someone will take them.

Edit: Yeah looks like that S3 card is of some value after all! I would totally want to keep this one.

F*CK!!!! Now you are telling me?
I have already recycled them yesterday...
How much did I lost? I thought that only Voodoo cards have some value nowadays...
I feel so ashamed 🙁 At least I have managed to make some better pictures...

5653f71fdc65.jpg
2431739ab04f.jpg

How much could it be worth?

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 4066 of 53087, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OMG. 😵

A sad day indeed. 😒

Last edited by Artex on 2014-06-07, 20:08. Edited 1 time in total.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4067 of 53087, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really don't understand why you rescued them, only just to throw them away again... 😵 Even if the cards weren't valuable, there are still people who would've taken them to add to their collections - and some of those cards were quite rare.

Reply 4069 of 53087, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

/\ It doesn't get much more original equipment than that! I think Diamond did a great job with their Monster 3D releases of the Voodoo cards. /\

What will you be pairing it up with?

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 4070 of 53087, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

OMG. 😵

A sad day indeed. 😒

Ugh I wanted that Terratec FX5800 Ultra. This is indeed a sad day.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 4072 of 53087, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VooDooMan wrote:
F*CK!!!! Now you are telling me? I have already recycled them yesterday... How much did I lost? I thought that only Voodoo ca […]
Show full quote

How much did I lost? I thought that only Voodoo cards have some value nowadays...

Now we're telling you? You got responses 20 minutes after posting that you had very valuable cards. You probably threw away atleast 300 dollars in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4073 of 53087, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A little haul for free from a local guy:

Some SDRAM stick,
P200MMX
Am486DX2-66 SV8T
ExpertBus 769W IDE controller
ExpertBoard 8046 motherboard VLB+PCI! Socketed Dallas chip!
Iomega Zip 100 ATAPI

P1030023.JPG

VooDooMan wrote:

I thought that only Voodoo cards have some value nowadays...

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Reply 4076 of 53087, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VooDooMan wrote:
F*CK!!!! Now you are telling me? I have already recycled them yesterday... How much did I lost? I thought that only Voodoo ca […]
Show full quote
MaxWar wrote:
^This is a cute collection of video card. Would be a shame to throw them back in he Dumpster! I do not see anything that is par […]
Show full quote

^This is a cute collection of video card. Would be a shame to throw them back in he Dumpster!
I do not see anything that is particularly valuable but you could try selling them as a cheap lot on ebay, or just offer them for free to someone if they pay shipping.
At the last option I would just put them on a small box on the side walk with a sign <Free> And someone will take them.

Edit: Yeah looks like that S3 card is of some value after all! I would totally want to keep this one.

5653f71fdc65.jpg
2431739ab04f.jpg

Please just tell me you are trolling.. -_-

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4077 of 53087, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found the manual for the motherboard here, set up the jumpers, cache, CPU, RAM and plugged it in... No post, the PSU fan does not move. Turns out, there's short circuit between +5V and GND. ):

Reply 4078 of 53087, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

LoL at Neon 250 PCI getting recycled. 🤣

Too bad we don't have a ROFL smiley or there'd be about twenty of them rolling around up there.

m1919 wrote:
Artex wrote:

OMG. 😵

A sad day indeed. 😒

Ugh I wanted that Terratec FX5800 Ultra. This is indeed a sad day.

Yeah, tell me about it. I've been looking for a FX5800 Ultra for over 2 years. Most of them were recalled so there's not many left out there. A vanilla 5800 will turn up once in a while,but Ultra's almost never do.

Reply 4079 of 53087, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VooDooMan wrote:

Assuming you aren't just having a spot of fun with us, you shredded a pack of some very rare and hard to find/replace cards. 😒 The ones I could identify:

- GeForce FX 5800 Ultra [the one that says "Terratec"]
- 3DLabs WildcatVP Pro (can't tell if it's an 880 or 990; would need a higher-res of the back (it'll say on the stickers)) [the one with clouds on the cooler]
- S3 Graphics DeltaChrome S8 [the black/silver one that has the S3 logo peeking out]
- Leadtek WinFast VR300 (more info about that: http://www.stereo3d.com/vr300.htm) [the yellow one that says WinFast]
- Club3D XGI Volari V8 256MB [the blue/silver one]

I wasn't sure what the PCI card was, which others identified as a Neon 250.

Of course, this all assumes everything pictured actually WORKED - they all have kicked caps (the S3 and Wildcat being the worst), and other various damage (the S3's heatsink isn't sitting straight and has missing fan blades, the XGI has bulging caps, etc). They were probably put out in the dumpster for a reason (or were damaged from being put out into the dumpster). At least they got recycled instead of going into landfill. 😀

And because it came up (I should probably make a thread about this, given that it seems to keep coming up): the FX 5800 with the Flow FX fan (like what's pictured) is quieter-running than the WildcatVP.

AlphaWing wrote:

nVidia actually produced a video to poke some fun at it too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVjZqC1AE4