VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to identify a voodoo 2 card's memory by just looking at it? Like, any identifiable numbers printed on the chips perhaps? Or the number of chips?

Got 2 voodoo 2 cards - both Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 CT6670. Ordered a couple more for another system.

Just wanted to know. Thanks!

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 6, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes. The 8MB has fewer memory chips soldered on board. Mine's missing the 8 chips along the top on the back of the card, I'd assume most others using the reference design would be the same.

Reply 2 of 6, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For Creative boards, they should be marked with different CT numbers. CT6671 for 8MB ones IIRC. So stay with CT6670 ones!

Reply 3 of 6, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My CT6670 has just 8MB RAM onboard, so there is probably no link between the CT numbering and RAM size. It's currenly up for grabs here.

Reply 4 of 6, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, i got the reference:

From creative europe in Technical Specifications -- 3DBlaster Voodoo2:

Model Numbers: […]
Show full quote

Model Numbers:

* CT6670 (12MB)
* CT6671 (8MB)

The 3D Blaster Voodoo2 card is a full-screen 3D-only solution that uses ... blah blah...

That would be misleading then... 🙁

Reply 5 of 6, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Yes. The 8MB has fewer memory chips soldered on board. Mine's missing the 8 chips along the top on the back of the card, I'd assume most others using the reference design would be the same.

Exactly. There are 8 missing chips on the 8mb version. This can be seen from a moving airplane, no need to look for numbers 😉

Reply 6 of 6, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I guess this is a 12MB version then. Thanks for the comments everyone!

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers