VOGONS

First post, by jim78b

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have a 1084s CGa monitor with video in db9 how i can coonect my pc to' it?

Reply 7 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could try an ATi Graphics Solution Plus. These are 100% compatible CGA clones, and are quite sort in length, so there is no "skirt" that prevents installation in a 16-bit ISA slot.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 16, by jim78b

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

because euro pc is too old , in a modern pc desktop i will use dosbox with my cga monitor....understand?

the vga to cga adpter will be ok, but a question ,it has a rgb cable with 5 pin i will make a cable for it.....5pin to db9 is only problem....

http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_parts/ … rter/12215.html

Reply 12 of 16, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, in my opinion, if you have a vga card/monitor, there is no such a great difference, as it is compatible with ega/cga modes. I wouldn't mind using dosbox also. I don't think you're missing much compared to the original cga monitor, and certainly it would be less harm to your eyes.

Reply 13 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jim78b wrote:

because euro pc is too old , in a modern pc desktop i will use dosbox with my cga monitor....understand?

I am pretty sure that this is impossible ...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14 of 16, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your best bet might be to ask on an arcade/MAME forum about the CGA adapter. A lot of old arcade machines used some variant of CGA and some people build MAME cabinets with CGA monitors in them.

One thing I noted with that adapter you linked:

Output CGA Signal: 480i@60 Hz

I didn't think this was a valid video mode for the type of CGA used in PC's? I thought that only 320x200 or 640x200 were used. Will your monitor handle this video mode?

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 15 of 16, by jim78b

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok now i will see how dosbox emu cga mode, if i don't satisfed i buy a arcade vga, or i see a real pci cga card, but window xp support two video cards?

ps another more less expensive solution is use software, powerstrip or soft15khz..!

Reply 16 of 16, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes windows XP does indeed support dual monitor output on two different video cards. As far as I know, you can't use onboard graphics on your motherboard and another video card; you need two seperate video cards.

As for a PCI CGA card, I very much doubt such a thing exists, CGA was obsolete before PCI came about, a quick google didn't show anything. The only CGA cards you'd find would be ISA or maybe MCA I'd imagine.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.