Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

Reminds me of this topic:

Complete newbie advice on ISA video cards required please

(Scroll down to see the first photo)

*Looking at the picture* How/where did you get that battery pack??
I actually need a couple of those 😀

Oh wow, they're absolutely everywhere. You can easily get 'em on ebay. Just search for AA battery holder.

Reply 23 of 33, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

6620881-L.jpg,
6385379-L.jpg

Of course it's cheaper now just to shell out a hundred or two for one premade than it is to hunt down and buy parts then assemble them if you account for your time at anything over the minimum wage in your country.Shipping charges for parts coming from all over will also eat up a lot of your budget.

Reply 25 of 33, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe you wanna think about whether a 486 is really what you want [unless you just enjoy the building process for its own sake ofc!].

Once I built my 486 I found it was boring as hell so I pulled it apart and used the case for a 386 system which for me was much better. Probably just down to the things I was doing on it and more importantly how far it was from my other boxes in terms of capability, but 3 isa slots [typical for a pci 486] soon seems not to be enough, and it's so close to a socket 7 [esp if you run 95] I just ended up thinking there was no point as my k6/3 could do it all and more - especially once I read mau1wurf1977's post about slowing a socket 7 down.

Just a thought, but good luck and have fun with whatever you decide on 😉.

Reply 26 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

...you just enjoy the building process for its own sake...

Like me! 😁

A good portion of the systems I build, I never even used after I finished them! These include a A7V Thunderbird 1100 and a VIA (iirc) Tualatin 1.2Ghz.
I installed them, put Windows on it, then ran SuperPi just once and until a couple days ago forgot that I even had them! 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosquest wrote:

Well, I do have that win xp overclock build sitting next to me, and that arcade emulation pentium 4 box... aaand that windows 95 tower... Hmm 😒

Specs of your Win 95 tower? ;D

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 33, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

good luck getting a 486 board first! (and plz don't get a PC Chips).

I find v1-3 of Shuttle HOT-433 motherboards to be similarly problematic. But with any motherboard, some hardware will work well, and others not so well. Testing is a virtue!

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.