VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am testing a PCI S3 STB Trio64V+ VGA. It has 2MB of DRAM. It has an id sticker on the back that reads "VIDPCI009ABWW". I looked this up on the net, and it looks like it's from a Gateway PC. The following downloads have been tested -

1) Link to the Gateway webpage, includes w95/8 driver: vid018d1.exe, and windows 3.11 and DOS driver: stb211t.exe.
2) Link to the "generic" S3 driver package, for Windows 95 and 98. (w9524107.zip)
3) Link to the "generic" S3 driver package, for Windows 3.11. (w3117004.zip)

Notes -

1) vid018d1.exe tested on Windows 95. stb211t.exe tested on WFWG 3.11. The Gateway webpage link above is very good.
2) Tested on Windows 95. Btw, these driver filename links can be cross checked with the file names found on S3graphics.com.
3) Unfortunately, I have not tested this driver yet because I cannot install it. I have described this problem here. Begin edit: I have been able to test this now. I changed the video card inside Windows, instead of using the DOS prompt to run Windows\setup.exe. End edit.

PICT2196.JPG

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2011-04-09, 14:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to test the "generic" S3 driver package, for Windows 3.11. (w3117004.zip). Inside Windows, I ran Windows Setup from inside Control Panel, and then I selected Options -> Change system settings. I could then change the video card. I still can't do this in DOS, however. I used to be able to, but not now. I don't know why this is.

This shot shows the STB Vision package, including the Change system settings window.
triov.jpg

Reply 2 of 16, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to speed up this card in DOS. I ran PcpBench, and the score on a P-MMX-233 machine was 18.0. This was in PcpBench's default mode, and LFB was not activated. I then installed s3vbe20.exe, and it displayed this information:

S3 VBE/Core 2.0 Version 3.18
VBE/Core 2.0 extensions: On
Linear frame buffer support: On
Low resolution video modes: On

I ran PcpBench again, and I get 24.6, and this was in LFB mode.

Link to s3vbe20.exe
Link to PcpBench.exe

Reply 3 of 16, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just found a similar card around here at work - it looks almost identical, except for the following:

- the left side RAMs are socketed
- the BIOS is labeled "PG 64V RL 2.0 -50" (and RAMs are 50ns)
- FCC ID on the back points to STB itself

Now, the questions 😀:

- did you find STB Vision for Win3x inside the Gateway drivers or the "generic" S3 drivers?
- is STB Vision able to control refresh rates for the monitor?
- I guess the Gateway drivers will work on my card too but, do you have any idea if/where I can find STB drivers?

Thanks.

Reply 4 of 16, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The good news is that the Gateway hosted driver package is for STB. The Gateway hosted file link in my o.p. is called stb211t.exe. 😀 And using it, you can select a "generic 1280x1024" monitor for instance, with a refresh rate of 60Hz, which is more good news if you are using an LCD.

Reply 5 of 16, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So there's no mention to Gateway in the driver files or installation (like the "Help->About..." windows)? What about the W95/98 package - is it for STB too, or does it mention Gateway?

Reply 6 of 16, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm 95+% sure there was no mention of the word Gateway in the installation set up, when I tested this card about 2 months ago. However, I have just read the install.txt file that comes with the Windows 3.x package, and it says:

Applicable Part Numbers:
VIDPCI008AAWW, VIDPCI008ABWW, VIDPCI008ACWW, VIDPCI009AAWW, VIDPCI009ABWW, VIDPCI009ACWW

I think one of these part numbers should be on the back of your card, on a white bar code sticker. Regarding W95/98, I read the readme.txt file, and it says:

STB Vision 95 1.21

Applicable Part Numbers:
6000271,VIDPCI009AAWW,VIDPCI009ACWW,VIDPIC009ABWW,VIDPCI008AAWW, VIDPCI008ABWW, VIDPCI008ACWW

BTW, there is no mention of the word Gateway in any of these installation .txt files.

Reply 7 of 16, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's weird... I googled after something else labeled on the back of the card, and found this 110% identical card 😀:

http://www.recycledgoods.com/products/Diamond … io64V-2-MB.html

Everything matches - all labels on the back, RAM chips, FCC ID (as I said, I found it under "STB" not "Diamond"), BIOS label... I kind of doubt it's a Diamond though (no Diamond Trio64V+ that I could find looks like this).

Reply 9 of 16, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You guys seem unsure if it's really a Gateway card but I have this exact card and can confirm that it IS a Gateway card. I pulled mine from a Gateway P5-133. In the original Win95 installation it was referred to as a "STB PowerGraph 64".

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 12 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iulianv wrote:

That's weird... I googled after something else labeled on the back of the card, and found this 110% identical card 😀:

http://www.recycledgoods.com/products/Diamond … io64V-2-MB.html

Everything matches - all labels on the back, RAM chips, FCC ID (as I said, I found it under "STB" not "Diamond"), BIOS label... I kind of doubt it's a Diamond though (no Diamond Trio64V+ that I could find looks like this).

Bwahahaha! $67.50. That's funny. 🤣

Reply 13 of 16, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you tried Video Playback using an Overlay?
This should be the new V+ feature on this card and as far as I remember, it was quite buggy in the beginning. Though I don't know if they got it fixed with the '+' version.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 15 of 16, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn, the Gateway server is down just when I was about to test my card... is it possible that you attach the two files here? Many thanks in advance.