VOGONS

First post, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can Matrox G400 handle Glide wrapper well in W98? Because I don't have Voodoo2.

I had reading on Wikipedia about Matrox G400, it was competitive with NVIDIA RIVA TNT, ATI Rage Pro, and 3dfx Voodoo3. But G400 MAX more competitive with TNT2 Ultra and Voodoo3 3500.

I want to overclock my G400 in order to increasing performance as G400 MAX (or maybe more than it), so it will increasing performance on Glide wrapper. But I use fan on it to keep them cool (as G400 MAX requires fan), but I use 50mm fan which is too large for it heatsink (but I will replace them with Fractal Design Silent 40mm so it run silently).

I will use G400 on my 440BX system which it will builded later. But I can't making them working because it won't boot. What is the problem, all jumper set to normal (100 FSB and 2/3 AGP divider).
It previously used on my HP Vectra VL600, but VL600 will receive better video card is GeForce FX 5600 when I have enough funds.

Any suggestion about that?

Reply 1 of 15, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

G400 and glide wrapper? Which one?
Nglide need shader moder 2.0 for the full support. DirectX 9.0 compatible videocard, in other words. Minimal videocard is Radeon 9xxx/Geforce 5xxx.
G400 is standard dx6 compatible videocard. Even hardware t&l (dx7 requirement) isn't implemented.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 15, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

Nglide need shader moder 2.0 for the full support. DirectX 9.0 compatible videocard, in other words. Minimal videocard is Radeon 9xxx/Geforce 5xxx.
G400 is standard dx6 compatible videocard. Even hardware t&l (dx7 requirement) isn't implemented.

Overkill minimum requirement 😐
But I had try them on my current (and broken) computer.

F2bnp wrote:

Try dgVoodoo. (not dgVoodoo v2!!!)
http://dege.freeweb.hu/

What is difference v1 with v2?

Reply 4 of 15, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
northernosprey02 wrote:
Overkill minimum requirement :neutral: But I had try them on my current (and broken) computer. […]
Show full quote
Gamecollector wrote:

Overkill minimum requirement 😐
But I had try them on my current (and broken) computer.

F2bnp wrote:

Try dgVoodoo. (not dgVoodoo v2!!!)
http://dege.freeweb.hu/

I think the reason why it needs shader model 2 is to emulate old features such as Table fog, which aren't present anymore on today's graphics cards

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 6 of 15, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:
northernosprey02 wrote:

V2 uses Direct3D11 and SM4/5

Holy sh*t, this is super crazy overkill! Maybe I try them when I build new PC later.

Can you compare the 3D quality on dgVoodoo v1 with dgVoodoo v2?

Is there any old Glide wrapper? (approx. <2001)

Reply 7 of 15, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
northernosprey02 wrote:
Holy sh*t, this is super crazy overkill! Maybe I try them when I build new PC later. […]
Show full quote
F2bnp wrote:
northernosprey02 wrote:

V2 uses Direct3D11 and SM4/5

Holy sh*t, this is super crazy overkill! Maybe I try them when I build new PC later.

Zeckenzack's?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 8 of 15, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
northernosprey02 wrote:

It's not an overkill. It was created from scratch, just because the creator got interested in Glide and wrappers once more.

I think dgVoodoo V1 should work just fine on the G400, don't expect great speeds though. I suggest getting rid of the G400 and getting yourself a V3 or V5.

Reply 10 of 15, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Zeckenzack's?

Again, ARB_fragment_program (in other words - pixel shader 2.0) is needed for the full compatibility.

Anyway, even if it ran, it would probably do so poorly on a G400. IIRC there was a glide wrapper that Creative bundled with some TNT/2? cards

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 11 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would use XGL200 as the Glide wrapper for those older fixed function cards. XGL200 wraps to Direct3D6 so it should be ideal for the Matrox. It's a VERY old wrapper too (February 1999), it's part of the bunch of wrappers that existed just because of UltraHLE being glide only, driving wrapper development for non-3dfx users that just want to play Ocarina of Time at 1fps on their Rage Pro 😀

Zeckenseck's wrapper wraps to OpenGL so that would be no good for Matrox.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 15, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I would use XGL200 as the Glide wrapper for those older fixed function cards. XGL200 wraps to Direct3D6 so it should be ideal for the Matrox. It's a VERY old wrapper too (February 1999), it's part of the bunch of wrappers that existed just because of UltraHLE being glide only, driving wrapper development for non-3dfx users that just want to play Ocarina of Time at 1fps on their Rage Pro 😀

Zeckenseck's wrapper wraps to OpenGL so that would be no good for Matrox.

Nice, I will try them later 😁

Reply 13 of 15, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember using XGL200 back in my G400 days. It was included in ParaKnowYa's G400 driver pack.

I'm posting them up here since they seem to no longer be available online. It includes some registry tweaks for the Windows 9x G400 driver as well.

Attachments

• Filename
    pkyG400.zip
    File size
    2.89 MiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File comment
    ParaKnowYa G400 Driver Pack
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 15, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NJRoadfan wrote:

I remember using XGL200 back in my G400 days. It was included in ParaKnowYa's G400 driver pack.

I'm posting them up here since they seem to no longer be available online. It includes some registry tweaks for the Windows 9x G400 driver as well.

What is difference with stock driver?