VOGONS

First post, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a project on the back burner at the moment.

I'm building a K6-3+ 450/500 system.

I have probably around 20 creative sound cards and a couple of generic brands/clones.

Its not clearly apparent to me which sound card I should use.

The system will run windows 95c

Awe32, SB32, SB16, Awe64, SB-pro, SB-live are my main choices.

I also have a couple of yamaha and generic sound cards (avance logic) etc.

I have an awe 64 in there at the moment, but is it period correct?. for some reason I feel like I'd rather knock it back to an awe 32.

What do you guys think?

cheers

Reply 1 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That machine can cover such a wide range of games, from Wing Commander to Tomb Raider 2.

So it really depends what you want to play. AWE64 is a decent card no doubt. With an external SC-55 you are good to go.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 18, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AWE64 should be just fine. If booting into pure DOS, the AWE64 will come in handy too.

My PII machine contains both the AWE64 Gold and SB Live 5.1. Windows 95c outputs pure digital sounds via optical cable using the Live! Drive. I use the AWE64 when I boot into DOS and Win3.x. The system also has a SB16 CT1740 in it. In addition to the PC Quest MIDI card - Roland MPU-401 100% compatible (phew).

The system is a PII400MHz system using the SL2S7 unlocked CPU with a jumperless BIOS selectable bus multiplier speed. (The system I posted recently in the "how many vintage systems do you have" thread.

Generally, I tend to build what I like to have - the best that I have or those that fulfil my nostalgic cravings, instead of being period specific. 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 18, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rgart wrote:

I have an awe 64 in there at the moment, but is it period correct?. for some reason I feel like I'd rather knock it back to an awe 32.

The AWE64 (released in 1996) sounds just period correct for Windows 95C. I currently have a CT4540 AWE64 Gold copyright 1997 in my Windows 98 original system; I suppose it depends on what one considers period correct. Though I'd say it's slightly older than the K6 450.

Reply 5 of 18, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think of the AWE64 as a speech-only card unless equipped with the SIMMCON adapter or original Creative RAM modules. The use of soundfonts in DOS is just as limited as with the AWE32 - but in Windows, the AWE32 is much better with 2x16 MB cheap SIMM30s.

The EMU8000 with the default ROM sounds right only in games which directly support it. The +32 v. softsynth on the AWE64 has compatibility issues with non-Intel platforms and is a big resource hog.

With the AWE64, there is no fallback to genuine OPL3. So you need another card for that in a time machine.

The AWE64 GOLD has less noise than all other Creative cards. Still, not in the same league as the professional audio cards of the time (including early PCI ones)

In Windows, a Live! can be a better choice for games if you do not want OPL music. A much larger selection of soundfonts is available, including some semi-pro ones.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 6 of 18, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But Mau1wurf1977 is right. Depends on what games you're going to play using the rig. If you are more into OPL3 music, drop the AWE64 for AWE32 or SB16/SB32 with genuine YMF262. Want AWE sample-based synth? Take AWE64. Want daughterboards? Take SB16 or AWE32. Windows games with PCM music? Drop everything and take Live! or Audigy 1/2.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 8 of 18, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the advice!

I have two questions though:

Can I install a SB16 and an Awe 64 in the same system? or SB16 and SB Live combo?

and the other questions is related to the video card.

The mobo im using is sweet. I like it. Its an Epox 58MVP3-C with a 100mhz fsb.
The AGP slot runs at x2
I have Savage 3d, S3 Trio 3D, Riva TNT2, TNT2 Vanta, TNT2 and a Radeon 9200 128mb - all AGP cards
the thing is all of those cards have very similar scores in PCPBENCH even the Radeon 9200.
Is the bottleneck the fact its AGP x2 or is it the CPU?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 9 of 18, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rgart wrote:

I have Savage 3d, S3 Trio 3D, Riva TNT2, TNT2 Vanta, TNT2 and a Radeon 9200 128mb - all AGP cards
the thing is all of those cards have very similar scores in PCPBENCH even the Radeon 9200.

Most probably it's because you didn't enable write combining on the CPU. Search for tools like SETK6 or MXK6OPT.
With a good card, a K6-3+/500 should achieve about 80 FPS in the standard PCPBench test.

Reply 10 of 18, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can I install a SB16 and an Awe 64 in the same system? or SB16 and SB Live combo?

Of course you can. Just set up different resources for the two cards. The Live will take two IRQs and you most likely will need to force the legacy DOS emulation settings to some standard like irq5 dma1 highdma5 manually.
I set up two sound cards in one of my PCs to use low DMA1 for both to achieve better old game compatibility. These were an SB Pro 1 and a CT2940. The only issue you might have in such a case is that you can accidentally misconfigure games which support multiple sound devices AND DMA is actually used.
In my case, the SB Pro 1 was set to A220 I7 D1 and the SB16 took A240 I5 D1. Mind you that such a setup needs frequent manual updates of the BLASTER environment variable before launching games / game setups. As in, rerun the "SET BLASTER= ..." command

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 11 of 18, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
rgart wrote:

Most probably it's because you didn't enable write combining on the CPU. Search for tools like SETK6 or MXK6OPT.
With a good card, a K6-3+/500 should achieve about 80 FPS in the standard PCPBench test.

Yeah Spot on. PCPBENCH scores on all resolutions almost doubled when I used mxk60pt and setk6.
However there is really still very little difference between the Radeon 9200 128mb and the TNT2 M64 32mb scores.
I guess a SS7 system cant fully utilize a 2x AGP slot - weather its choking on the CPU or the motherboard I have no idea.

Jolaes76 wrote:
Of course you can. Just set up different resources for the two cards. The Live will take two IRQs and you most likely will need […]
Show full quote

Of course you can. Just set up different resources for the two cards. The Live will take two IRQs and you most likely will need to force the legacy DOS emulation settings to some standard like irq5 dma1 highdma5 manually.
I set up two sound cards in one of my PCs to use low DMA1 for both to achieve better old game compatibility. These were an SB Pro 1 and a CT2940. The only issue you might have in such a case is that you can accidentally misconfigure games which support multiple sound devices AND DMA is actually used.
In my case, the SB Pro 1 was set to A220 I7 D1 and the SB16 took A240 I5 D1. Mind you that such a setup needs frequent manual updates of the BLASTER environment variable before launching games / game setups. As in, rerun the "SET BLASTER= ..." command

Hmm thanks! Maybe Ill go SB16 and Awe 64 or a SB16 and a SBLIVE.

Im still without a mouse on this system until I rewire a comm port/header.

Unfortunately I also cant install two voodoo 2's in SLI on this motherboard because the CPU fan/heatsink is in the way and I would have to bend the card slightly to get it to fit - its just too long.

Reply 12 of 18, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2 PnP sound cards isn't as easy as it sounds, the example above includes a SB Pro, which of course has it's resources set via jumper. Once you have both cards needing diagnose or CTCM, then things get tricky. Theres a thread about it around here somewhere.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 13 of 18, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I have mentioned in my post above, my PII system has:

1. AWE64 Gold - A220 I5 D1 H5 P300 E620

2. SB16 CT1740 - A240 I7 D3 H6 P300

3. SB Live 5.1 - Only used in Windows 95 and Resources controlled by Windows

4. MUSICQUEST PC MIDI Card - I2 P330 - connected to CM-500.

It is tricky to setup two or more sound cards in DOS.

Here's one thread with my trials with double creative cards : [Solved] How to use SB16SET/MIXERSET/DIAGNOSE with TWO or more Creative PnP cards?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My attempt at running two (or more) cards in the same machine have always ended in going back to my previous setup 😀

Thing is that the FM chip stays at the same resource and this creates issues with old Sierra games for example.

I would just stuck with the AWE64 and be done with it 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 18, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

My attempt at running two (or more) cards in the same machine have always ended in going back to my previous setup 😀

Thing is that the FM chip stays at the same resource and this creates issues with old Sierra games for example.

I would just stuck with the AWE64 and be done with it 😀

🤣 😀

Didn't you advise me on another thread to use two sound cards?? 😀

To be honest. My am5x86 133 (150mhz oc) has been running a sb16 and sbpro perfectly.....untill a few days ago I noticed that none of the sierra titles I have work. they appear to have serious issues with 2 sound cards in the same system.

I had a thirst for quest for glory 1 VGA or police quest 4 and they had problems.

Doom 2 and Lands of Lore - Two titles Im playing daily run perfectly though.

I might just go with the awe 64 or sb live in the K6-3 rig

Next time Im working on my 486 though I noticed I have a Sound Blaster 2230 which doesnt have the hanging note bug correct? I might just swap the SB PRO and the SB 16 out for the SB CT-2230.

Last edited by rgart on 2013-07-10, 01:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As I said it totally depends what you want. Sooo many options.

A good combination is the AWE64 with an external SC-55.

Another good combination is the AWE64 with MPU401AT and SC-55, MT-32 (Old) and CM-32L.

But you already have a 386 / 486 right? So with your PC there is no point in worrying about OPL3 and MT-32, you want to focus on early W95 games and here the AWE64 with SC-55 should work very well. Do W95 games still use MIDI?

My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 18, by kokornov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What is the model name of Creative CT4810 card with CT2518-DBQ chip? This page

http://ask.europe.creative.com/wwenglish/gene … _List_Audio.htm

says it's Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI and this

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=3051

tells that i own Creative Vibra 128. But I successfully installed drivers for Creative SoundBlaster 128, as it shown in Device Manager.

What is the original name of remarked CT2518 chip (ES1370/ES1371/ES1373/other)?

Reply 18 of 18, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My 2 (euro)cents... I would ditch the ISA Creatives. There are clones which sound much better. I have always been an ESS fan, upto PCI Maestro. The ISA ones and PCI Solo are unbeatable when it comes to compatibility and OPL-like sound. They even have ESFM, which, IMHO, sounds better than OPL3 FM. Some games have dedicated drivers for ESS688 and compatibles.
An ESS card with WT header, or an external module, and you are set for a lot of games. When it comes to DOS games which work well in Windows, or pure Win games, then I would choose a Soundblaster Live! for that time period.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)