VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About a month ago, I won a voodoo 5 on ebay for just about $50 shipped. The seller sent it off right away and three weeks ago today I had a USPS notice slip in my mailbox. I went in the following Saturday and was told they couldn't find it. The guy behind the counter took down my phone number and said they'd call when they found it. Two weeks later, I had no contact from them. I called and spoke to the supervisor there who said she had found it in the "Return to Sender" bin and pulled it out for me to pick up the next day. I went down there and spoke to the supervisor who went nuts searching the whole building before telling me that she couldn't find it. I called again today and she said to go ahead and have the seller file an insurance claim (Thankfully he had it insured). As she's the person at that branch who verifies the insurance claims, she'd verify it for me as soon as it came in.

I spent the last month virtually salivating for this card to complete my Windows glide rig, but now, I'm left without one as I can't justify paying the normal going prices for them right now.

My p3 machine, as in my signature, is the machine I was going to install it into. It's currently got a GF4 4600 and a Diamond Monster II 8mb card. Will this single v2 be enough to handle all windows glide chores or should I go ahead and find another v2 to run in SLI? The geforce is more than enough to handle any OpenGL or D3D games I can throw at a 933mhz machine, but I need something I can dedicate to Glide games.

My other option is to build up another machine to dedicate to glide games. I've got an ASUS P2B-S with a 500mhz p3 sitting in it. For primary video I've got a Diamond Viper V330 (Riva 128) that I can match up with the V2 and possibly a second for SLI. Or, should I just pick up a cheap V3 for this second build? Will that be enough for the range of Glide only windows games or do I need more horsepower? The v5 would have been nice but running games with full anti-aliasing or whatever the v5 would be able to do with it isn't a big deal for me.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 2 of 25, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just found this thread: CPU limited

Seems like I have my answers there on cpu scaling anyway.

Are a pair of V2s or even a single v2 enough for ALL windows glide games?

Reply 4 of 25, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, let's change "enough" to "good enough to get smooth gameplay with at least 800x600 if not 1024x768 through the later, more intensive glide-only games" where smooth = 30fps minimum average with little dip below that. I'm good with 30fps in older games.

Sounds a bit needy, I know, but gotta have a benchmark to aim for I guess.

Reply 6 of 25, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guess so then. Most of the games were targeted at the v2 anyway. The v3 was just a speed/memory bump aimed at the same games and the v5 was a grab at a new architecture but too late. When thinking about Glide I tend to think of the voodoo 2 anyway. Those ads back in 96-97 had a memorable impact on my 15 year old self.

Reply 8 of 25, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never used a wrapper, so I've no clue how it'll run on that machine with a Geforce4. It's an option I guess?

Reply 10 of 25, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a couple of 933 MHz Pentium III machines, one with V5 5500 and one with GeForce 4 TI 4200. Running a program like Red Baron 3D I get 60-80 fps on the V5 with Glide and about 20-30 fps with a Glide wrapper (I forget which I tested) on the GeForce 4.

Reply 11 of 25, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
akula65 wrote:

... Running a program like Red Baron 3D I get 60-80 fps on the V5 with Glide and about 20-30 fps with a Glide wrapper...

Is this under W98se? No glide wrapper I've tried works under W9x and I'd like to test one out..

Last edited by tincup on 2013-10-26, 13:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 25, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sucks, I was pretty lucky to have gotten mine back in 2010 for like $9 but lost it in a house fire. Those VSA cards pretty much smoke any V2/V3 solution but a V3 is enough to run most games at decent settings except for a few that just don't run.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is why when I'm expecting something rare I track it and then go right to the post office as soon as tracking says the package is there. I try to minimize the chances on anything that took me years to find getting lost, stolen or damaged.

Reply 14 of 25, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, both machines run Win98 SE.

dgVoodoo (the original, not dgVoodoo 2) and OpenGLide are two of the wrappers that work under Win98SE:

http://dege.freeweb.hu/
OpenGLide General

You can get special OpenGLide builds for Red Baron 3D:

http://www.wingsofhonour.com/downloads/resour … rappers.en.html

Reply 15 of 25, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are Voodoo 5's really that hard to get these days? I know the Amiga guys were snagging the PCI versions for crazy money years back for their PPC/PCI rigs but I didn't see that much interest in the AGP models.

My V5500 is back in its box (got it new for a P3-733 system when it came out at bestbuy), but I still use the V1/2/3 in systems. I also was lucky in finding a 4500 in a scrap system I got for free (PCI).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 16 of 25, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
akula65 wrote:

Yes, both machines run Win98 SE.

Thanks, looks like I need to re-test since I thought I'd tried both those before. I recently built a hopped up P4 Prescott/XP/W98se/7900GTX-512mb rig and want to try out glide wrappers under W98 - I just need to keep up at it..

Reply 17 of 25, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

Are Voodoo 5's really that hard to get these days? I know the Amiga guys were snagging the PCI versions for crazy money years back for their PPC/PCI rigs but I didn't see that much interest in the AGP models.

My V5500 is back in its box (got it new for a P3-733 system when it came out at bestbuy), but I still use the V1/2/3 in systems. I also was lucky in finding a 4500 in a scrap system I got for free (PCI).

Yes the demand is that high while pci models have mostly dried up except for the older V1 and V2. The cards that they were paying the high premiums on were the pci v3 2k and 3k cards usually the ones with the sgram. I haven't seen any vsa era cards being used in Amigas thus far. Demand skyrocketed back in 2010 when a V56k hit eBay and sold for $1800 only for another that year to a year later selling for 3000 euros.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 18 of 25, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

Thanks, looks like I need to re-test since I thought I'd tried both those before. I recently built a hopped up P4 Prescott/XP/W98se/7900GTX-512mb rig and want to try out glide wrappers under W98 - I just need to keep up at it..

This page enumerates many of the Glide Wrapper projects:

http://www.glideunderground.com/modules.php?o … owcontent&id=89

For particular games you may find that there are special wrapper builds or established procedures to get the best results, so it definitely pays to do research rather than just trying to rely on one wrapper that has the "best" compatibility.

Reply 19 of 25, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah thanks - I used to use OpenGlide v074 and Zeckensack optimized for Red Baron 3D in the XP days instance. I settled on DGVoodoo 1.5 beta as my everyday wrapper though recently I've found nGlide to be very good under W7-64. But I didn't realize that earlier versions og DGV [up to 1.31 per the link] supported W98 and I'm eager to revisit them again.