VOGONS

First post, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys. Was looking for a DDR2 for my friend, long lost amongst my junk, and couldn't resist the lure of my socket7 stuff, thus decided to bring something out of it and build it. Well the story was not that much of a success. I just wanted to pick out something I had tested before and worked for me, which was the board in my signature - GA-5AX. Hooked it up with some hardware I know it works with and started it up - The light went on for a second and went off afterwards. No power-up. Disconnected the PSU and attempted once again - no go. Did this with 2 other PSUs - Killed the board 🙁

The board now won't even lit up the status light. And whenever I hook up the PSU to the motherboard, it's giving me a hissing sound - encountered that before on faulty motherboards, thus my presumption of it being dead. Well...It's gonna be really hard to find out what exactly went wrong with it.

So I moved forward and picked up my personal favourite - Iwill XA100 Plus (rev 1.3). VCC VID can be set up higher and there is the soft select for FSB frequency in the bios. On the opposite, the GA-5AX had multiplier selection @ x6 maximum and had 5 PCI slots. The last difference would be in the northbridge, being the latest one on the Iwill and supporting larger cachable amount than the chipset on the gigabyte, earlier revision. Need to verify this info.

The problem I want to elaborate regards both of these mobos - I always want to try very new stuff on very old stuff 😁 - particularly meaning that I want to run my newly acquired 3D Prophet 9800 on these mobos. I can't get enough pain and try these things - TNT2 on 486 = never worked and ATI cards on Abit VP6 (via apollo pro) - no fastwrites etc.

In this case, I am facing stability issues - 6.2 ati driver no go as well as the original 3D prophet 797 version. 3D accelerated stuff gets hung up after couple of seconds, requiring me to cold-reboot. Got the AGP Ali driver - tried the opposite settings and also of all values - no help. AGP 1x was resolved by forcing the 2X value in the registry. Forcing the SBAoff did no help. The psu is 350W, pretty much powerful. I know I was able to run a FX5700LE stable with no glitches and I even managed to run GunMetal, which is a DX9 mech game. But with the Ati cards it ain't that successful.

Any ideas?

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 1 of 14, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Socket 7 is usually AGP1x(/2x) at 3.3Volt.

Isn't the Radeon 9800 an AGP4x/8x card at 1.5V? I don't think it supports 3.3V.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 3 of 14, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man 😁 I explained it runs, but it gets stuck under mentioned circumstances. Thus the card had to fit and had to work 😉

BTW, this is Her Majesty:

00057558-photo-carte-hercules-3d-prophet-9800-pro-vue-1.jpg

It has an external power supply connector, it's an AGP universal, thus no power issues. I know pretty sure it's the Chipset / VGA / Driver incompatibility issue. Anybody played with such technologically imbalanced hardware?

Reply 5 of 14, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Quadro2 Pro running on an Alladin V and it is perfectly stable. But if you played already with all AGP options then you probably have to try a different card.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 14, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try setting agp aperture size to 4 mb in the bios, that should do the trick. If not set agp speed at 1x as well.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 7 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Yeah usually the AGP support of those Super 7 boards isn't stable unless you stick to 3dfx cards. 3dfx cards use minimal AGP features.

I also haven't had any issues with Matrox and various Nvidia cards (mostly cheap M64 cards).

But in general that cards is mismatch for this motherboard / CPU. A Rage 128 or Radeon 7000 is more aproriate.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I also haven't had any issues with Matrox and various Nvidia cards (mostly cheap M64 cards).

I have an ASUS P5A and have had problems with Matrox G200. I haven't used the mobo in years so I can't remember more instability examples. But you can run a web search and find problems with almost any card in conjunction with those Super 7 chipsets. Same with Slot A and early Socket A stuff. Some video drivers even force AGP 1x on these boards but it isn't always enough to get things stable.

Reply 9 of 14, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i would consider your experience perfectly normal.
the early ali agp chipsets actually had pretty bad agp support, even worse than the mvp3. it was so bad that nvidia drivers would purposefully disable agp mode whenever it sees an ali chipset, to avoid all kinds of trouble. i tried to force agp mode on through registry, but then it simply gives a lot of bsod.
for ati cards, i tried the rage128pro and radeon7200. the rage128pro seemed to work anyway, but the r7200 only worked with one old version of driver(before the catalyst series) out of the several i tried, all other drivers simply gives bsod after reboot. for the working version, it said agp mode was on but the performance was inferior to when running on the mvp3.
the mvp3 on the other hand, despite having a bad reputation in its days, actually worked quite well once you got 4in1 installed. agp features are on, and performance is more satisfying.

Reply 10 of 14, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How clean is the 5v/12v power from your PSU? I bet that's what's casuing your crashing... The higher the power demand you place on your system, the more the effects of aging/failed capacitors will manifest... If you're using IWILL, you might consider re-capping it because I'm pretty sure they used off-brand capacitors. The ASUS P5A/-B doesn't need re-capping. Which PSU are you using?

Reply 11 of 14, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the delay guys, had work-related trainings, didn't have time for myself.

Just a quick update - Managed to get it working stable - the issue was that I needed to layer the DX7 to DX8.1 and finish with the latest working DX9 for win98SE. That got me stable at Kingpin only, which is actually an openGL, but anyways, it was affected by my deeds, thus I think I got it resolved. STILL - I need to play with the Ali AGP driver, I left it untouched. At least it is stable (and very smooth actually). Will get back to you, but I don't know when 🙁 . My apologies for the inconvenience.

Reply 12 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While playing around with S478 systems there are issues with Voodoo 2 cards and Matrox cards. Something locking up / slowing down the driver.

I will now use Nvidia AGP cards in combination with Voodoo 2 cards because of this 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 14, by KEC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I must have been lucky with VIA AGP, never had any problems that I'm aware of. I'm not sure the old problems even matter as much, since I picked up an Asus P3V4X which had what looks like a bad history of AGP problems yet it runs just fine now. The bios and Nvidia's (can't speak to ATI) drivers matured enough that I have no problem running 4x and stable..

You mentioned you were running Cat 6.2?.. If you find it's still flacky maybe run something newer, something that's VIA debugged:)

I never had a really early Athlon system, but don't remember there being AGP problems.. I started with an Athlon XP 2100 and VIA KT266.. No problems at all...