VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fandenivoldsk wrote:
retrofanatic wrote:

I am surprised it has not been mentioned...add a CD ROM or DVD Drive...that will get rid of that yellowing 5.25" drive bay cover as well.

Yes, I will get a CD ROM drive, one that can write as well.

PeterLI wrote:

Plus install a CD-ROM.

😊sorry, PeterLI already did mention a CD ROM drive 😊

fandenivoldsk wrote:

Also I would remove that old barrel type battery residing on your motherboard. Search on Vogons for alternative external battery options.

Do you have a Vogons link? Not sure I can find it myself in here...

Well...it's mentioned all over the place I think...here is one...Barrel type CMOS battery replacement. and another...Barrel style CMOS battery question

Also, if there is some corrosion (nasty green stuff around there already), I also read here on Vogons that it is good to clean the area with vinegar to neutralize the battery acid then clean with alcohol...Removing corroded CMOS barrel battery?...I tried this and it did the trick. Thanks to "133MHz" and other Vogons users for the info.

fandenivoldsk wrote:

Add memory, but I would not go higher than 16MB on a 486 that will run DOS games as some games do not like more than 16MB (there's only a few though)

I currently has 4x Edo SIMM 4MB so that is 16mb in total. I should keep it that way or should I get 4x 16mb? I'm confused.

Sorry about the confusion, but I thought I read that you only had 4MB total....yes, just stay with the 16MB (4x4MB) you already have.

Reply 42 of 43, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fandenivoldsk wrote:
Can I use a Pcd-50b scsi card reader in the empty 3.5 slot? […]
Show full quote

Can I use a Pcd-50b scsi card reader in the empty 3.5 slot?

cf-card-reader.jpg

Where does one get one of those (for a decent realistic price of course)?

Reply 43 of 43, by fandenivoldsk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retrofanatic wrote:
fandenivoldsk wrote:
Can I use a Pcd-50b scsi card reader in the empty 3.5 slot? […]
Show full quote

Can I use a Pcd-50b scsi card reader in the empty 3.5 slot?

cf-card-reader.jpg

Where does one get one of those (for a decent realistic price of course)?

Well, I got mine at MechWare https://a4000t.com (site is down at the moment) but it was not cheap. Paid $72 for it.