VOGONS

Reply 460 of 27510, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think I've ever seen anyone replace a surface mount chip! Very impressive, I had just written it off as impossible.

My retro activity was also bringing a PC back from the dead, my father dragged home an old Pentium MMX computer with a Baby ATX motherboard, it however had serious corrosion on the components around the Li-Ion CMOS battery because it had managed to explode (I've never seen one of those explode before today). But after reading up on the correct way to clean the corrosion off I scrubbed it with vinegar to neutralize the battery acid and then with rubbing alcohol to just remove the junk. I rinsed it with water and let it sit for a day to dry out. Fired it up and BLAMMO it works perfectly! I'll probably be making a quick video on it so look for that to pop up on here. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 461 of 27510, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Wow, that is some seriously impressive work you've done there! I've always wondered about some tricks to revive older motherboards, and heck, that one is pretty dang impressive.

What would you guys suggest doing for chips like that, that have bent pins while on a board already? I found a Voodoo 2 3DFX card at a local computer shop for almost nothing, but it had bent pins that do touch each other.

Ditto. I have a few cards that need to be repaired. I've looked at You Tube, went through a few trials, but my "skills" at soldering leave a lot to be desired. My wonderfully cheap Orchid Fahrenheit 1280 card started to boot only blue. I took it out, and noticed a small crack on the holder of a chip. I went to push on it lightly, and the WHOLE CHIP and HOLDER came right off! Now i'm trying to figure out how to just surface mount the chip back on there. Projects projects projects.... 😒

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 462 of 27510, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reinstalled win95 OSR2.5 like 3 times due to IRQ / Memory address conflicts (coz I change stuff all the time 😜 ).

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 463 of 27510, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dogchainx wrote:

Ditto. I have a few cards that need to be repaired. I've looked at You Tube, went through a few trials, but my "skills" at soldering leave a lot to be desired. My wonderfully cheap Orchid Fahrenheit 1280 card started to boot only blue. I took it out, and noticed a small crack on the holder of a chip. I went to push on it lightly, and the WHOLE CHIP and HOLDER came right off! Now i'm trying to figure out how to just surface mount the chip back on there. Projects projects projects.... 😒

Plus things like this could be helpful in my 486 Packard Bell since the battery left quite a mess in a certain area.

Reply 465 of 27510, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone know or can determine a good capacitor replacement for this AWE64 Gold I got? The one for the right (red) channel had a broken leg, and no matter or what, I can't get solder to attach. So I think it's best to just replace the thing.

But being a little square cap... I can't really tell. I wish it had the same capacitors my other AWE64 units had, the electrolytics, then I could actually read what they are. 😵

IMG_3387-1000.jpg

Reply 466 of 27510, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ReeseRiverson wrote:
Anyone know or can determine a good capacitor replacement for this AWE64 Gold I got? The one for the right (red) channel had a b […]
Show full quote

Anyone know or can determine a good capacitor replacement for this AWE64 Gold I got? The one for the right (red) channel had a broken leg, and no matter or what, I can't get solder to attach. So I think it's best to just replace the thing.

But being a little square cap... I can't really tell. I wish it had the same capacitors my other AWE64 units had, the electrolytics, then I could actually read what they are. 😵

IMG_3387-1000.jpg

I've never really had good results with leadless solder. 😒 What type are you using?

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 467 of 27510, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try this youtube video about surface mounting.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9FC9fAlfQE

EEVblog clip, about how to solder SMD component's.
There are some good tricks and stuff, especially how to use the "reflow" technicue.
And some info about what to NOT do when soldering this way.

By the way. That capazitor looks really bad, as it looks like something went off.
You might want to buy a new one.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 468 of 27510, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe it's a 4,7μf capacitor, it does cay "C4μ7" right?
A 4,7μf/16v replacement should be more than enough and pretty common.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 469 of 27510, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reese: If the pins are just bent and touching not broken, you could get a pair of thin tweezers and gently bend them back so that they are no longer touching. Maybe heating them up slightly would help? On a side note my retro activity was to put together a semi-gaming dual core Athlon 64 system for my sister. Only a 2.0ghz chip with 1gb of DDR2 but the Geforce 8800gt makes up for it 😊

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 470 of 27510, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Blurredman wrote:

I've never really had good results with leadless solder. 😒 What type are you using?

60/40 rosin core, I have to see specifics when I get home.

-edit-

Found what I do have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068IJPO/r … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ODwilly wrote:

Reese: If the pins are just bent and touching not broken, you could get a pair of thin tweezers and gently bend them back so that they are no longer touching. Maybe heating them up slightly would help? On a side note my retro activity was to put together a semi-gaming dual core Athlon 64 system for my sister. Only a 2.0ghz chip with 1gb of DDR2 but the Geforce 8800gt makes up for it 😊

The pin on that capacitor was broken, I was hoping some solder could grab onto it, and chances are that I just couldn't heat up the tiny spot that was left on the capacitor itself.

keropi wrote:

Maybe, it was hard for me to tell, but perhaps I can use a multi-meter to test the capacitor on the other channel... 😲

brostenen wrote:
Try this youtube video about surface mounting..... […]
Show full quote

Try this youtube video about surface mounting.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9FC9fAlfQE

EEVblog clip, about how to solder SMD component's.
There are some good tricks and stuff, especially how to use the "reflow" technicue.
And some info about what to NOT do when soldering this way.

By the way. That capazitor looks really bad, as it looks like something went off.
You might want to buy a new one.

I'll definitely check that out soon, thanks! 😀

Last edited by ReeseRiverson on 2014-12-19, 18:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 471 of 27510, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ReeseRiverson wrote:

What would you guys suggest doing for chips like that, that have bent pins while on a board already? I found a Voodoo 2 3DFX card at a local computer shop for almost nothing, but it had bent pins that do touch each other.

I used fine tweezers and a stanley knife blade, as shown on the second picture. Anything will do, as long as it fits between the leads 😉

King_Corduroy wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone replace a surface mount chip! Very impressive, I had just written it off as impossible.

Surface mount soldering is dead easy once you get the hang of it. It's much easier than through-hole soldering IMO.
QFP chips are easy too, as long as you use hot air tools, and shouldn't take more than a few minutes normally. But I don't have this stuff at home 🙁

It's still not working 100% though. The floppy drive interface doesn't work at all. Drive starts spinning on access but it won't read anything. And I tried booting with a Linux LiveCD, but then the keyboard stops working. This doesn't happen with a FreeDOS LiveCD... Also the BIOS won't remember its settings.
All of this is controlled by that Winbond chip so I may have fried it while desoldering (overheating/ESD?), or perhaps there are other bad components on the board. Not unlikely, as there must be a reason why this chip failed in the first place...

keropi wrote:

Yep, that's a 4.7µF tantalum or polymer.

Reply 472 of 27510, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jwt27 wrote:
ReeseRiverson wrote:

I used fine tweezers and a stanley knife blade, as shown on the second picture. Anything will do, as long as it fits between the leads 😉

Okay, then I better try my luck then... I hope it's savable! You know what? I'll go ahead and take a picture of the pins when I get home. 😀

jwt27 wrote:
keropi wrote:

Yep, that's a 4.7µF tantalum or polymer.

Alright, that'll be on my list of parts to get then. Especially if I can save the AWE64 Gold. I really honestly like these cards. 🤣

Reply 473 of 27510, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reese...be very very careful bending those pins. I tried to do that with about 15+ pins that were touching on mine. Out of all of those, about 4-5 of the pins lifted off of the solder contact on the PCB. So gentle on the pressure and try to place most of the pressure near where the pins EXIT the chip, and not down near the PCB solder points.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 474 of 27510, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ReeseRiverson wrote:
Anyone know or can determine a good capacitor replacement for this AWE64 Gold I got? The one for the right (red) channel had a b […]
Show full quote

IMG_3387-1000.jpg

Well I see a lot of dust on the PCB, so one of the reasons may be the pads are not clean enough to hold the solder, the same may count for the cap itself - make sure it is clean, use sandpaper (but carefully) or isopropyl alcohol to clean both the contacts of the pads and capacitor (using a brush helps!).

What soldering tool do you use? Does it heat the surface sufficiently (the PCB ''consumes'' the heat quickly)? The solder you have is OK, maybe additional flux will be required.

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 475 of 27510, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dogchainx wrote:

Reese...be very very careful bending those pins. I tried to do that with about 15+ pins that were touching on mine. Out of all of those, about 4-5 of the pins lifted off of the solder contact on the PCB. So gentle on the pressure and try to place most of the pressure near where the pins EXIT the chip, and not down near the PCB solder points.

Well, I just hope they aren't already in too bad of a case, but I'll use my macro lens on my camera to really get up and close in detail.

Shodan486 wrote:

Well I see a lot of dust on the PCB, so one of the reasons may be the pads are not clean enough to hold the solder, the same may count for the cap itself - make sure it is clean, use sandpaper (but carefully) or isopropyl alcohol to clean both the contacts of the pads and capacitor (using a brush helps!).

What soldering tool do you use? Does it heat the surface sufficiently (the PCB ''consumes'' the heat quickly)? The solder you have is OK, maybe additional flux will be required.

Well, that could be, but the capacitor has a broken leg when I got this board. I could clean it up and try again though.

As far as soldering tool, I have a Hakko 703 Solder/Desolder Station. I'll need to get some flux though.

Reply 476 of 27510, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

played today at my friends house his Atari Lynx handheld. That fat original version, not sissy Lynx II 😀 I remember when I bought mine, almost instantly after it was available. And I think I have to get one of those again. Played Chip's Challenge and Slime World and still love those games... I also had original GameBoy and Sega Game Gear. Why, oh why I let them go...

:EDIT: shiiiit.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-LYNX-The-Comple … =item43c6ee69c1

Reply 478 of 27510, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Built a new test bench / Retro Gaming PC for Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow:

CnS5UhSl.jpg

It's a Core i5 2500, 4 GB RAM, 7800 GTX, X-Fi, XP SP3

I'm using Bandicam for capturing game footage and this will by first "Let's Play Period Correct" video series 😀

First video is uploading but several GB because I play at 1600 x 1200 and render in 4K resolution 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 479 of 27510, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:
Built a new test bench / Retro Gaming PC for Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow: […]
Show full quote

Built a new test bench / Retro Gaming PC for Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow:

It's a Core i5 2500, 4 GB RAM, 7800 GTX, X-Fi, XP SP3

I'm using Bandicam for capturing game footage and this will by first "Let's Play Period Correct" video series 😀

First video is uploading but several GB because I play at 1600 x 1200 and render in 4K resolution 😀

Very nice! That system is almost fast enough 😉

I should get going with building some more yearly builds or bench some more AGP cards.

My AGP test bench rig is giving me headaches though, the Soyo KT333 socket A board with universal AGP is very picky when it comes to video cards. It only works with all AGP 8X slotted cards, when it comes to AGP 2X and universal AGP cards its hit and miss, 50% works 50% dosnt. All cards are tested and found working using other systems. Perhaps I have used the Soyo board to test a bit to many faulty video cards but it still works great with the cards that work and its seems very random which cards works and which cards dosnt.

For some reason I feel more like building a total overkill Pentium-D rig to see what type of performance I can get with a Netburst CPU and some semi modern GPU.
Will it handle Crysis?

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.