VOGONS

Reply 4520 of 27557, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Are you running it at a 100MHz FSB? Or on 112MHz?

m1919 wrote:
m1919 wrote:
Toying around with the XG-DLS rig, running into issue with a fairly consistent BSOD after booting into Windows. Currently runnin […]
Show full quote

Toying around with the XG-DLS rig, running into issue with a fairly consistent BSOD after booting into Windows. Currently running XP. Seems to be some kind of hardware conflict as the bluescreen is referencing IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.

Only thing I can think of that may be causing the issue is I currently don't have any PS2 keyboard or mice so the machine may be wigging out due to USB keyboard and mouse combo. I did a quick test this morning for about 10 minutes of runtime in windows with just the keyboard plugged in and did not seem to get the bluescreen, which usually happens pretty quick after booting into windows.

Anyone else encounter this on old boards like this?

Does not appear to be hardware failure of any other kind as all other hardware in this setup worked on my other XG-DLS board. I ran through Windows XP install again but the process gets stuck when starting windows after setup file transfer is done. Also ran a few memtest86 passes and got a hardware related interrupt failure on CPU0 eventually, no actual memory error. I know these procs will do 112Mhz FSB so I'm assuming it's the USB devices as most likely there were very few USB keyboards/mice around back in the late 90s early 2000s.

Well, tested the XG-DLS with just my cheapo Microsoft USB laser mouse plugged in. Did not get a bluescreen with the machine just sitting idle for 3-4 hours, but when attempting to install 3dmark01, the machine just rebooted spontaneously, no bluescreen. Then during POST it got stuck in loop testing memory.

Looks like either I have some bad sticks which I can swap for another set or I can try cleaning the contacts and re-seating them... This machine is getting frustrating to deal with.

I can drop down to 112Mhz FSB and retest. Maybe this board does not like 112Mhz, I know the procs are good for it though as I was running these at 784Mhz on the other board for months with no problem.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 4521 of 27557, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would do that, with an FSB of 112MHz you also overclock PCI (112 * 1/3 = 37MHz instead of 33MHz) and AGP (112 * 2/3 = 74MHz instead of 66MHz) (a bit), this board may have a low tolerance (I know that SCSI controllers also have low tolerance). Also the board is physically big and so there are long traces everywhere, that's also a bad thing for overclocking.

m1919 wrote:

I can drop down to 112Mhz FSB and retest. Maybe this board does not like 112Mhz, I know the procs are good for it though as I was running these at 784Mhz on the other board for months with no problem.

1982 to 2001

Reply 4522 of 27557, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just finished repairing a broken TeacFD-55GFR floppy which reported Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40) during boot. Turns out that the solder on the molex connector got so brittle that it basically fell apart making the contacts virtually nonexistent. I could almost remove the connector by hand!

So, I removed the PCB, resoldered the connector and now everything works 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 4523 of 27557, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Watching the computer chronicles on my tv.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4524 of 27557, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ever since I found the Mac drivers for that SideWinder 3D Pro after much sleuthing, I've gotten to work trying to make some good game profiles.

It's easier said than done, though, because I've noticed that the twist rudder (and probably the throttle too) will randomly drop keystrokes throughout its band range, perhaps a side effect of software keyboard emulation rather than hardware keyboard emulation. On top of this, having the same keystroke repeated between adjacent bands will just keep the key held instead of sending multiple keypresses.

This is fine for titles like Flying Nightmares where you just hold the , or . keys for full rudder left and right, not so much for A-10 Attack!/Cuba! where a single press of the key trims the rudder 1/4th of the way in either direction, pressing the opposite direction eases it by the same amount, and / recenters automatically. It's also not good if you want really fine control of your throttle in X-Wing/TIE Fighter beyond the usual "off, 1/3rd, 2/3rds, max" settings.

I am really wishing I had a proper ADB TM FCS and WCS setup right now, because both of those sims support it natively while I'm forced to use the SW3DP in its usual MouseStick emulation mode. I have yet to find any extensions that can emulate the TM-native API for old Mac sims, either; a little TM FCS/WCS/RCS to InputSprocket wrapping would do wonders!

Reply 4525 of 27557, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Spotted an enhanced Intel 486 DX2 66 with Write Back Cache on eBay Australia for just 20 Aussie dollars, so I got it straight away. It arrived today and is working great.

It goes into a box with all the other 486 CPUs. Will check it out more thoroughly at another time.

Some photos and screenshots below:

QZb8Uiel.jpg

flUTtdM.png

QfedzqG.png

3DE0Nba.png

VgF8RXm.png

oqHwAMG.png

XFEfZDv.png

bgnRSOW.png

R8I8W7W.png

o777dJB.png

DXYmeLc.png

L173Y8A.png

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4526 of 27557, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just did some benchmarks with my 486 Intel dx2-66 WT

Doom timedemo 3 = 28.59 fps or 2542 Realtics
Quake timedemo 1 = 7.3 fps
PC Player bench = 12.1 fps
Superscape = 48.2 fps

Clearly the speed difference for the L1 write-back cache shows up Phil

Attachments

• Dx266.jpg
    Filename
    Dx266.jpg
    File size
    97.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 4527 of 27557, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Imperious wrote:
Just did some benchmarks with my 486 Intel dx2-66 WT […]
Show full quote

Superscape = 48.2 fps

Hard to compare different systems like though...

Reply 4528 of 27557, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Imperious wrote:
Just did some benchmarks with my 486 Intel dx2-66 WT […]
Show full quote

Superscape = 48.2 fps

Hard to compare different systems like though...

True. I should have clarified what I meant was that it shows up in speedsys as fairly higher bandwidth for the L1. The rest is too close to draw any conclusions.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 4531 of 27557, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroStorm00 wrote:

Can I ask what kind of motherboard you are using Phil? I need to find one that works with the P24D 😁

The World's Fastest 486 of course 🤣

Feipoa documented this board so well, I think I got mine 2 or 3 years ago from he US.

Reply 4532 of 27557, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made a simple streaming music player for my IBM 5160 PC/XT, streams from the ST-225 HDD to the internal PC speaker (so basically a stock machine): https://youtu.be/387mfVRLGBQ

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 4533 of 27557, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Friend sent me a Slotket with a 1.1GHz celeron. Unfortunately it does not like my mobo.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 4534 of 27557, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Servers started moving in.

IMG_5977.jpg

I've run out of rails however. The DL580, its two Smart Arrays, a PDP-11/23 and a twinax terminal controller do not have rails to mount them. That hole punched angle iron is also expensive. $20 for six feet.
I've also apparently misplaced my PDU's.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 4535 of 27557, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I have run into the issue that on an ebay auction, I have received an important part less than was advertised in the listing. Now I messaged the seller and they claim that the item missing was never advertised as included. HOWEVER!!! The missing item was included in the title advertisement and described as functioning in the listing WITH pictures. Iv contacted the seller asking about this and they claim it was never advertised as included. . .Iv responded being understanding, referencing that the ad is the opposite of what they responded to me with. My question to ya'll is should I let it go or ask for a full refund if they refuse to even acknowledge their mistake?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4536 of 27557, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

So I have run into the issue that on an ebay auction, I have received an important part less than was advertised in the listing. Now I messaged the seller and they claim that the item missing was never advertised as included. HOWEVER!!! The missing item was included in the title advertisement and described as functioning in the listing WITH pictures. Iv contacted the seller asking about this and they claim it was never advertised as included. . .Iv responded being understanding, referencing that the ad is the opposite of what they responded to me with. My question to ya'll is should I let it go or ask for a full refund if they refuse to even acknowledge their mistake?

That depends, what is missing?

If its something that is absolutely required for the item to work and is allmost impossible to get hold of, ask for a refund, if its not required ask for a partial refund.

What did you order, its difficult to figure out if it is absolutely needed

Reply 4537 of 27557, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CelGen wrote:

That hole punched angle iron is also expensive. $20 for six feet.

I've run into this recently when building a room for dry-curing meats. It's about $13 per 6ft here in the US if you go to home depot. Look in your area for metal wholesalers, if you find one it'll probably be much cheaper. One that I have nearby has all steel profiles priced at $1 per pound. If they have a scrap pile dig through it, it'll be even cheaper.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4538 of 27557, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CelGen wrote:
Servers started moving in. […]
Show full quote

Servers started moving in.

IMG_5977.jpg

I've run out of rails however. The DL580, its two Smart Arrays, a PDP-11/23 and a twinax terminal controller do not have rails to mount them. That hole punched angle iron is also expensive. $20 for six feet.
I've also apparently misplaced my PDU's.

PA RISC servers on the left?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4539 of 27557, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sitting here on the floor working on rebuilding my LGA-775-Core2Duo (I know it only uses 1 of the cores) Win98se system from "parts strewn across the floor" in to a proper system inside a computer case. And working to convert the processor in to custom water loop (cpu only) in the process. Right now is just an allendale core2duo generic chip. Some day later it'll be a Conroe X6800 and need water cooling cause I plan to run it somewhere north of 4ghz in the end.

If anyone's interested I might run a thread on it somewhere.

EDIT: Made a thread on it anyway. ...