User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-11-02, 12:13:
It was case restoration weekend: […]
Show full quote

It was case restoration weekend:

AT-Case-G-Restored.jpg

The case is from Microstar (A local business that seems to have been importing their hardware in the early 90s) from whom I bought my own 486 DX33 in 1994. This one has no spec stickers, but there is a warranty sticker on the back that says the computer's I/O card was replaced in late 1996. It was probably a similarly aged 486 build. The case looks pretty similar to what I had, though mine was a full tower with a flap door in front. Anyway, I will rehouse my current 486 build (U5S-33) in this, then sell off its current yellowed case.

Isn't Microstar MSI?

Reply 17041 of 27492, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TechieDude wrote on 2020-11-02, 13:01:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-11-02, 12:13:
It was case restoration weekend: […]
Show full quote

It was case restoration weekend:

AT-Case-G-Restored.jpg

The case is from Microstar (A local business that seems to have been importing their hardware in the early 90s) from whom I bought my own 486 DX33 in 1994. This one has no spec stickers, but there is a warranty sticker on the back that says the computer's I/O card was replaced in late 1996. It was probably a similarly aged 486 build. The case looks pretty similar to what I had, though mine was a full tower with a flap door in front. Anyway, I will rehouse my current 486 build (U5S-33) in this, then sell off its current yellowed case.

Isn't Microstar MSI?

Yes, that's what they used to be called

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 17042 of 27492, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does watching a retro conmputer video count as retro activity? Just discovered a great YT channel named Adrian's Digital Basement. I believe it's well known and so on, but I never watched it before. The content is excellent, very informative and deep, narration is perfect - not a single redundant word. And Adrian is just a very nice person and smart as well, it's a great pleasure to watch him fixing old computers and stuff.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 17043 of 27492, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bondi wrote on 2020-11-02, 16:58:

Does watching a retro conmputer video count as retro activity? Just discovered a great YT channel named Adrian's Digital Basement. I believe it's well known and so on, but I never watched it before. The content is excellent, very informative and deep, narration is perfect - not a single redundant word. And Adrian is just a very nice person and smart as well, it's a great pleasure to watch him fixing old computers and stuff.

ADB and Jan Beta are probably my most favorite retro techtubers.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17044 of 27492, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Versa M/75 died last night. Looks like I have a board level repair on my hands, so I'll probably video that. I'm willing to bet it's PSU issues. So I moved everything to the P/75 for now (WiFi, FreeDOS HDD, etc...). In some ways might not be a bad swap since the P/75 does actually have a Sound-blaster compatible card in it (ESS688). I'm willing to bet it's either a blown component or a short that's taken the M/75 down though.

Depending on whether I can repair the M/75 or not I'm toying with throwing the good LCD back on the 40EC. I'm thinking if I nail this though I can fix the power boards (BOTH the spare and the original) for the 40EC as well. Then it's Re-Cell the Battery time. I did find a fuse on the original power board that might be worth looking into for an intermittent issue.

Wishing myself luck, I seem to be batting 100 on these things lately - just fixed my Jigsaw over the weekend and I think I nailed the anode cap noises on the Mitsubshi TV as well ( Dialectric and/or replace Anode Cap and do some isolation to the dag on the back of the tube as I think there's arcing going on such a minor level that I can't see).

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 17045 of 27492, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
creepingnet wrote on 2020-11-02, 19:16:

Versa M/75 died last night. Looks like I have a board level repair on my hands, so I'll probably video that. I'm willing to bet it's PSU issues. So I moved everything to the P/75 for now (WiFi, FreeDOS HDD, etc...). In some ways might not be a bad swap since the P/75 does actually have a Sound-blaster compatible card in it (ESS688). I'm willing to bet it's either a blown component or a short that's taken the M/75 down though.

Depending on whether I can repair the M/75 or not I'm toying with throwing the good LCD back on the 40EC. I'm thinking if I nail this though I can fix the power boards (BOTH the spare and the original) for the 40EC as well. Then it's Re-Cell the Battery time. I did find a fuse on the original power board that might be worth looking into for an intermittent issue.

Wishing myself luck, I seem to be batting 100 on these things lately - just fixed my Jigsaw over the weekend and I think I nailed the anode cap noises on the Mitsubshi TV as well ( Dialectric and/or replace Anode Cap and do some isolation to the dag on the back of the tube as I think there's arcing going on such a minor level that I can't see).

To detect HV leak, use resistor and piece of wire securely fastened to a ground strap on the CRT bell and trace around and listen for a zzt sound. I had seen many times actually is a microscopic pinhole. Hold by grounded end with resistor as probe tip.

Back in CRT days I used to work with these and had HV probe.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 17046 of 27492, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-11-02, 03:02:

Wow that thing looks to be in excellent shape body wise that's a nice find. The 4g63 engine is a good motor with lots of potential. That's a good setup with the garage it's nice to have room to store the cars over winter.

Yes, actually, EXTREMELY surprising considering it is a Quebec car with 150,000KM on it. I've been working on another one (1984) with a documented 17,500KM and it is in worse shape. It's not bad at all, but I haven't seen a Pony this clean since I bought one from the wreckers in 2004 and rebuilt it from the ground up (I believe it's still on the Wiki entry for Hyundai Pony - blue car with old school Polish plates).

Mechanically - Engine and drivetrain is fine, (it's automatic unfortunately), but oh boy is the carburettor trashed. Trash in the fuel tank as well. That was not a fun drive. Also the passenger door will absolutely require some work as a pickup hit it.

Other than that, yeah, it's pretty good. If I can track down a pedal rack, it'll get a manual conversion.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 17047 of 27492, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jed118 wrote on 2020-11-02, 22:44:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

Yes, actually, EXTREMELY surprising considering it is a Quebec car with 150,000KM on it. I've been working on another one (1984) with a documented 17,500KM and it is in worse shape. It's not bad at all, but I haven't seen a Pony this clean since I bought one from the wreckers in 2004 and rebuilt it from the ground up (I believe it's still on the Wiki entry for Hyundai Pony - blue car with old school Polish plates).

Mechanically - Engine and drivetrain is fine, (it's automatic unfortunately), but oh boy is the carburettor trashed. Trash in the fuel tank as well. That was not a fun drive. Also the passenger door will absolutely require some work as a pickup hit it.

Other than that, yeah, it's pretty good. If I can track down a pedal rack, it'll get a manual conversion.

Now that's nice retro 😜

My first car (inherited from my late mother) was a 1995 Hyundai Excel - still called Pony in some markets. Iirc quite different drive train (FWD vs RWD), but similar engines. That engine - even if only a 1300cc - spoiled me for life. Never come across anything as bullet-proof and forgiving - you could rev it up stupidly and drive 170km/h on the Autobahn with it, but it would also happily plod along at 1500rpm in 5th gear in city traffic. Since then I've had vastly more powerful and faster cars, but in terms of smooth delivery of power at any number of revs, even the diesels I've driven don't hold a candle to that one. Apart from the engine it was a disaster though - rust all over the place, too many silly things failing again and again (driver-side window mechanism...) and simply too small for me despite my pretty average 1m86. Hope the older ones were better.

However I've not been doing anything with my retro wheels today (BMW R80 motorcycle from 1990), but have been messing around in the computer room:

- tested my MS-6168 (BX with onboard Voodoo3) with various CPUs. Runs fine with P3-866EB at 133MHz FSB, but Celeron 1200A (with similar power draw) is a no-no, even messing around with different voltages. Also discovered my P3-1000EB FC-PGA is dead. Explains a lot about why tests on other boards gave weird results. Oh well... happy enough for now with the board with P3-600E@800MHz, so moved it into the Packard Bell case I use for these builds, replacing the MS-6168 that refuses to boot with Coppermine.
- tested Terratec DREAM GSWAVE daughterboard on my Chill Waveblaster interface board. Works fine, sounds good - but clearly isn't an SC-55 (those electric guitars sound more like piano on the Dream GSwave)

Reply 17048 of 27492, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jed118 wrote on 2020-11-02, 22:44:
Yes, actually, EXTREMELY surprising considering it is a Quebec car with 150,000KM on it. I've been working on another one (1984) […]
Show full quote
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-11-02, 03:02:

Wow that thing looks to be in excellent shape body wise that's a nice find. The 4g63 engine is a good motor with lots of potential. That's a good setup with the garage it's nice to have room to store the cars over winter.

A manual conversion would be a blast in that thing. Does it need a carb or would a rebuild kit be sufficient?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-11-03, 19:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17049 of 27492, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can relate. If guy say it is trashed, it is trash!

This was in a early basket bucket 1987 Caravan 2.2L auto with carb (bought in late 2003 as engine fixer-upper (small things mostly the carb issue and redo the botched manifold gasket and head gasket, put on road 2006 then drove daily till around 2011 when bodywork and wiring harness but engine packed it in when finally refused to turn easily when weather turned colder but engine will be happy when engine's temp warm enough after 1 minute of shaking if it finally fires). This showed up 3 years before, every year in that period engine started to show this every year during colder weather progressively worse next colder weather year.

About finding very specific carbs can be a challege especially on certain engine that nobody interested in making for like chrysler's 2.2L with carb.
There were no new or low mile mopar holley version of weber design carb (were given 3 carbs and bought another two, all were trash, either mechanical or electronic feedback) so I had to convert to weber carb that I bought from a VW guy. I had to rebush the bores for the shafts with modified reamer as guided cutter and machine shop near me made custom size bushings for me. Before alochol addled gasoline came into effect, I was going around 20mpg!

Cheers,

Reply 17050 of 27492, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2020-11-02, 23:29:

Now that's nice retro 😜

My first car (inherited from my late mother) was a 1995 Hyundai Excel - still called Pony in some markets.

This one is a RWD layout - 1.6L making 101 HP at the crank - it is the automatic version with a 3spd (1:1 with a final drive of 3.909:1 - makes for 3800 RPM at 110 KM/h 🤣) . I actually had 12 of them so far, and even had a 1991 Excel CXL - my dad gave it to me with 377,000 KM - body was starting to go, but nothing was right with it - badly warped brakes, holy exhaust, smoking engine, faulty electrics - still, with that many miles on it and it being driven carefully by my dad, teenage me finished it off in a matter of two weeks. We had it since new and I seem to recall it was decently reliable.

These ones too are prone to rust - I've replaced sections of the floor pan in previous models. This particular one will need a slight stitch under the front driver's seat plate, from the inside. I recently bought a welder so that'll be a spring repair 😁

Reply 17051 of 27492, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm dealing with some problems with my 2001 suburban. Last summer about 2 weeks after my 2nd son was born I hit something in the road and tore open a trans cooler line. Sadly I didn't realize it untill I pumped the trans dry and burned up the 3/4 clutch pack. Now I'm doing my best to save up the money to have the trans replaced sadly I just don't have the time or tools to tackle that job. The truck has 371,578 miles on it and it's in beautiful condition near perfect oil pressure and compression as well. My in-laws gave it to me right before our 1st son was born back in 2014. Up untill the trans went out that thing was dead reliable which is why I'm going to have it fixed instead of getting rid of it.

Reply 17052 of 27492, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-11-03, 01:09:

A manual conversation would be a blast in that thing. Does it need a carb or would a rebuild kit be sufficient?

I've done the swap to this kind of car a few times already. 6 hr job if you have a hoist 😉 It's dead simple.

The carb - I'm not an expert, but these carbs aren't that complicated. It seems to me there either may be a crack in the float bowl, or it needs adjustment. The sight glass empties overnight, but there's still enough left in there to start it in the morning without the need to pour gas down the throat. Idles very well, power circuit opens up the secondary, but the main metering seems shot - press the gas and it'll cut out, or sometimes, up a hill it'll just die. For my 900km trip with this car, I had to have the choke out full otherwise it would randomly buck and stall (compression is good, plugs are gapped correctly and are the right wear color, points dwell is set exactly to 45 degrees, as well the ignition timing is dead on, fuel pump flows well and has the correct PSI reading) and even then as it approached 1/3 tank, sudden death. I think I averaged like 16 MPG as a result 🤣.

When I got it home, I disconnected the fuel pump and ran a line into a clear wine bottle, and started the car. Long white stringy bits of crap came out, as well as sand/rust-coloured bits. Within 5 seconds. That's north of the inline filter. Geez. That carby's probably completely full of garbage - I'll take the cover off and have a look, blast some compressed air backwards through it, and if not, install one of many (unproven!) spares and hope for the best 🤣! If not I have a Solex from a 2 liter that runs a bit better. There's definitely crud in the tank, so that's gonna have to get steam cleaned, and a new pickup installed.

Otherwise, the car tracks straight, minimal play from the wheel, suspension is taught and predictable, the auto box shifts well (it's a Borg Warner 03-55, you can't kill those on a Volvo, let alone in a 1.6L Pony) , the front brakes chatter a bit when braking and turning to the right (previous owner installed calipers from a Toyota Corolla, said they fit but had to be put L on R and R on L - no matter, I have more than a few OE ones), the bearings may need a touch of grease, driveshaft doesn't bind, rear axle doesn't whine - we're in good shape , really 😉

Reply 17053 of 27492, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-11-03, 02:06:

I'm dealing with some problems with my 2001 suburban. Last summer about 2 weeks after my 2nd son was born I hit something in the road and tore open a trans cooler line. Sadly I didn't realize it untill I pumped the trans dry and burned up the 3/4 clutch pack. Now I'm doing my best to save up the money to have the trans replaced sadly I just don't have the time or tools to tackle that job. The truck has 371,578 miles on it and it's in beautiful condition near perfect oil pressure and compression as well. My in-laws gave it to me right before our 1st son was born back in 2014. Up untill the trans went out that thing was dead reliable which is why I'm going to have it fixed instead of getting rid of it.

Fix it!

car-part.com may be of service to you 😉

Reply 17054 of 27492, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That car will be a fun project. Oh yeah that truck isn't going anywhere she'll be back on the road again. Since it's been parked I've been slowly working through the rest of the truck and doing needed repairs that way as soon as I can get the trans done she'll be safe and reliable for family hauling duties for many years to come

Reply 17055 of 27492, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get your real service manual for your car and also get the another manual for your souped up engine too so you can get everything to work together nicely.

To stop those ick, you have to go all out cleaning rest of fuel system. 🙁 I used fuel injection filter from a truck with nipples for the rubber hose clamps on my caravan. Stopped the black dust getting into my carb.

Please, ever, do NOT drive with choke on all the time! This washes out the engine and ruins the oil rapidly, and rapid wear. Choke is only for helping with engine warm up stage so fix that so it is now automatic. I did that too and made my caravan so fun to drive and easy start when cold. Tap the accelerator pedal then Just a bump on the starter key fires up.

Spluttering on acceleration is your accelerator fuel pump system not working right. Should squirt stream of fuel into throats every time you turn the throttle shaft, every time. Blame on air being so easy to compress and expand with vacuum.
Every time the throttle opens from anywhere to there, the intake manifold below the throttle plate has volume of air under some vacuum then air rushes in sudden and carb is slow to respond. Every time that throttle opens, carb cannot keep up with sudden lean condition, hence the need for accelerator fuel pump to fill in that opening transition or else the engine dies on lean out.

Make sure the timing is correct and done correctly according to manual. Not your toilet paper hayes. 😀

If you are not able to drive at cruise means ignition timing is wrong, look at your computer's manifold vacuum rather well to make sure everything is connected correctly and no leaks. If your car uses mechanical distributor with vacuum advance, make sure this works by opening the throttle slowly, the advance diaphragm on distributor should pull in, then release as throttle opens more. When you are at cruise, the vacuum advance should be full. This is most leanest condition for best MPG or 100km/L requires advanced timing. There is only one port in correct location on the throttle throat where throttle blade partially open edge lines up to this tiny round port leads directly to the nipple that connects directly only to the ignition advance diaphragam. Only! Service manual will help with you on this.
Do NOT forget the EGR valve! Replace this too. Also another couple leaks to check can mess up with fuel air mixture too. That also come in play at cruise too and helps with emissions that lean fuel air mixture cruise presents.

On my caravan, had computer controlled ignition only based on 4 pulses per turn from distributor's hall effect and used manifold vacuum reading direct to the computer's transductor sensor, sounds crude but very very good system and darned simple and reliable.

Service manual will always say this way in same steps like my service manual did for any cars with carb and mechanical distributor:

1. Adjust and setup the carb's functions on bench: Choke adjustment, float height, etc. Important!
2. Diagnose your ignition advance vacuum circuit are all correct, you must keep emissions systems in place! (I only dumped partial part of the emissions stuff due to carb not correct one), Including correct PCV! Not from NAPA, get it from your dealer! I had trouble with this before and had to go this way. This is a controlled leak on purpose and computer or carb, etc expects this and really depends on.
3. Once done. Warm up the engine and adjust fuel/air mixture screw for strongest manifold vacuum and then dial in idle rpm when hot. Also ignition timing interacts so recheck this.

Oh, don't forget to make sure your brake booster holds vacuum as this is HUGE leak if it loses it's vacuum integrity even brake applied.

What I dumped was air pump, throttle opening solenoid or vacuum operated circuit this leans out the carb by keeping throttle open on deceleration as computer was partially confused by the weber.

If you have different design for deceleration system that still works, put it back on diagnose and repair, this prevents transitory rich condition on deceleration and emissions tests checks for this too. Engine is an air pump, when engine is still spinning at high rpm and throttle closes is much higher vacuum than idle vacuum will pull more fuel in.

Cheers,

Reply 17056 of 27492, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2014-07-12, 18:22:

(that amber... it can't be just memories, somehow I love it more than I probably should!)

I have the same but with P1 phosphor 😄

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    Filename
    hqdefault.jpg
    File size
    14.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 17057 of 27492, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't know if it counts, but I compiled Adlib Tracker II SDL on FreeBSD 12.2 32-bit from source. I had recently installed FreeBSD side-by-side with Devuan on my netbook, and gotten it to a full XFCE desktop.

Spoiler

I'm starting to suspect that the real reason it was this sluggish was AHCI mode instead of Compatibility mode. This must be the first time AHCI mode actually made hardware slower. It's also running surprisingly snappy now. Go figure

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a programmer, nor do I really know what I'm doing when modifying source code, let alone what any of it does. In fact, I still have a lot to learn even when it comes to just using Unix-like Operating Systems. Anyway, compiling AT2 on FreeBSD has the same dependencies as on Linux, except it always halted at

StrUtils

I tried to find that 'file' both in the master branch and the linuxport branch, and still nothing. Of course I couldn't find it, because it's actually a function, which I have no idea what it's supposed to do. So, what do I do? Just out of curiosity, I decided to just remove every mention of it from the adt*ext*.pas files, and see what happens. To my surprise, it actually compiled with no errors, so I decided to run it to see what goes wrong. Cue second surprise, it actually ran fine with no errors, or anything looking/sounding wrong. And a third surprise, it actually had better performance on FreeBSD than on Devuan, even though both OSes run on the same crappy hardware, with the same somewhat lightweight DE and otherwise perform about the same!

Screenshot_2020-11-03_18-27-08.png
Filename
Screenshot_2020-11-03_18-27-08.png
File size
105.88 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 17058 of 27492, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I revived the Versa M/75 last night, and also got some pictures of the audio chip in it (Crystal CS4231-KQ). Turns out the battery board was knocked loose. I put some non-conductive foam in there between the aluminum frame and the board to make sure it stay's put. Funny enough, seems the foam reinforcement now causes the spacebar to return consistently (common problem with those old Versa 486 laptops). Also got a whopping long battery life out of it last night playing solitaire and surfing the web in LInks in graphics mode - almost 2 hours - not bad for a 30 year old laptop.

I also started some troubleshooting the battery board in the 40EC and am toying with starting up on the flickering screen. I did some research on that as well and it may be power related, and it's the screen itself I"m sure since if I put the panel from the M75 in there or the P75 - it works fine. If that's the case, maybe some touch up soldering and/or some component measuring will find the culprit. $59 is pretty cheap for a new screen, but I'd rather take the free route when I can.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 17059 of 27492, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been tinkering with my old computers and seeing what parts I have lying around.
I had an ati X300 video card in my P4 win XP machine, but then i found a geforece 6600 in the basement so i put that in instead and got a nice performance boost in some games.
I then found a 7600 but its an AGP and not PCIe so I cant use it. Ill have to see if it goes with the motherboard I have at my moms place.
Still need to get my P1 working properly and get my 486 sound working .

Other than that ive been playing lots of retro games like Dungeon Siege , republic Commando, Final Fantasy 7 and Drakan, as well as reading some old PC game reviews from some magazines someone gave me.