VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, as the title says I fried my only Canopus Pure3D II Voodoo2 card yesterday. Not the first time I've fried something, but its the first time it was something special.

The Pure3D II cards have an internal connector for outputting the VGA image directly to another Canopus card. From what I could find on the internet this was maybe a possiblily on not just the Spectra 2500 (which can connect both Voodoo1 and Voodoo2), but a wide array of cards for the Voodoo2 connector. There are a matching connector on TNT2, Geforce, Geforce 2, and Geforce 3 cards from Canopus. So I connected the 18pin cable to my Canopus Spectra 5400PE (TNT2 Ultra) and turned on the power. It said POF and I could smell something had gone horribly wrong. The TNT2 Ultra card survived with no issues, but my Voodoo2 will now not output any images on the VGA port. Even in SLI mode where it functions as the slave card it doesn't work.

So let this be a warning to anyone else out there, DO NOT connect the internal connector on your Canopus Voodoo2 card to anything but the Spectra 2500!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 11, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is pretty bad but you may as well strip the memory for other V2s 🙁
What burnt out exactly, was it the dac or something else?

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 11, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sad to hear about your loss.
Best wishes for future retro activities though 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 11, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes what is burned out, maybe the cards could still be rescue'd, no burned resistors?

I ask my self why do you want an internal vga passthrough, i wouldn't bother.
Guess that was not the l33t action to do, where are you from Vetz?
Any macro pics of the board in current state? no visuals to be seen?

Reply 5 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't visual see any damages, so no idea what burned out.

Internal connector makes you able to send the video signal directly to the main video card. This enables you to have not having to use an external VGA cable. Also you get no image degradation when using the primary video card as the VGA cable to the monitor is connected directly to it. It basically does the opposite than the normal Voodoo2 setups. This is an exclusive Canopus feature which they marketed as Canopus Witchdoctor.

index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=1574&h=2049887598bb754d99b47c80efb3c710fc6ead97

I'm from the same country as LunarG.

Reply 6 of 11, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Witchdoctor... hmm ok, witchy probably, but a doctor not so really.

Vetz i can already see damaged burned components through the pixels of the low res image.
Cant you make a hires macro photo and attach it?

I might imagine there was a short out between some direct voltage and ground signals.
Possibly some traces burned or resistors or small caps. as long as there was no reverse voltage that killed some low votlage ic's the thing might be salvage able.

Do you have a Multimeter and another reference card, or is this the only canopus pure3d II that you have.?
You were talking you SLI tested the card.

Reply 7 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JaNoZ wrote:
Vetz i can already see damaged burned components through the pixels of the low res image. Cant you make a hires macro photo and […]
Show full quote

Vetz i can already see damaged burned components through the pixels of the low res image.
Cant you make a hires macro photo and attach it?

I might imagine there was a short out between some direct voltage and ground signals.
Possibly some traces burned or resistors or small caps.

Not even my picture. It was something I found on the web to show how the Witchdoctor setup is working/connected. It shows the card connected to the Spectra 2500 (Riva TNT). The TNT2 card has a 18pin connector at almost the same spot. I'll take a picture of the card later.

JaNoZ wrote:

Do you have a Multimeter and another reference card, or is this the only canopus pure3d II that you have.?
You were talking you SLI tested the card.

It's the only card I have of this type. The other Voodoo2 I used in SLI was from Diamond. I used the FastVoodoo 4.6 drivers which allows mismatched cards to work in SLI. There is one possibility that since the Canopus deviates so much from the original design that it does not work in SLI mode with other cards, even when using FastVoodoo drivers.

Reply 8 of 11, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a hard time getting mismatched sli to work (with the mismatched drivers).

When put in the right order i got my creative working with a thrust voodoo dragon but neither of these cards work with the diamond (cards are regognized but crash when used in 3d).

So maybe, just maybe it is still alive? POF is never a good thing, mostly followed with the words: F*CK! why did i even do that!

Hope you get it working again.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 9 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

too bad for the card... the witchdoctor setup is ultra-cool IMHO

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 11, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to revive an old thread but I was reading about this today, as I'd like to get a Witchdoctor setup running. Canopus' press release implies it started with their Riva 128 card: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/canopus-cas … c/1100-2464007/

I wonder if maybe it was cable polarity, or something weird like that? Was your cable wired like this? (note it's coming out of the top of the connector on the other card):
Adk88Gs.png

Reply 11 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can tell if Witchdoctor is supported with the female connection on the Spectra 2500 or the Total3D 128 WitchDoctor. The Spectra 3200 also supports it, but only as output (saving yourself the external cable), not input as with the previous mentioned cards.

2020-09-01_10-16-32.jpg
Filename
2020-09-01_10-16-32.jpg
File size
364.62 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
connectivityb2.jpg
Filename
connectivityb2.jpg
File size
36.43 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The later Canopus cards only have a male header which is number of pin compatible, but will fry your Pure3D II card.

Also, hard1k traded me a working card (regular Voodoo2) for the fried Pure3D II, he fixed it and got it working again 😀
According to hard1k he did the following:

hard1k wrote:

two logic chips were burnt out and have been replaced.

Maybe he could elaborate more