VOGONS

Destruction Derby 2 (DOS)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know how to install the Destruction Derby 2 DOS version on a Pentium III with 576MB of memory and DOS 6.22? The installer reports I don't have enough memory (in either Extended or Expanded memory startup configuration), just 576K. In Windows 3.11 it goes up to 2MB, which is still not enough for the 8MB the installer requires. I'm installing from a CD which came with a Matrox Mystique, that I don't possess anymore, though I do have a Matrox MGA G100 (not currently on this retro PC).

Does this issue have anything to do with the amount of memory on the system? Do I have to have only the 64MB DIMM or perhaps a 16MB DIMM to get through the DOS install?

EDIT: for the record, the build was a DFI CA61 motherboard with a Pentium III 850@100, an nVidia GeForce 5500FX graphics card, an AWE64 PnP sound card, a CF 8GB card on IDE Primary Master, and a DVD recorder on IDE Secondary Master. Other connected components, though not directly relevant include, two Voodoo 2 12MB cards connected in SLI, an ISA ethernet card and two 3.5" floppy drives. Serial and Parallel ports disabled in the BIOS.

Last edited by PedroPalhoto on 2014-11-07, 08:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by zsknight22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Pedro -

In my experience in dealing with the memory requirements of old dos games, I generally find that building a system with no more than 32-64MB of memory tends to bring the best results. My current Pentium-120mhz system is running DOS 6.22/WFW 3.11 with 16MB of memory. After optimizing my autoexec.bat/config.sys I get very few complaints from DOS game installation algorithms, if any.

So yes, in your case I would definitely try downgrading your system memory and see if that helps, after properly re-optimizing your startup files and memory usage of course.

Reply 2 of 16, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could try limiting your available memory... If you are using HIMEM.SYS you could try the /NOABOVE16 parameter and see if it restricts you to 16MB.
Also, you can try to start the installer in Windows 3.11 from a custom PIF file that configures the app to start with more than 2MB (the default) XMS/EMS memory.

*EDIT*
Since you have plenty of memory, you could also edit the _DEFAULT.PIF file and increase the default amount of memory given to all DOS boxes

Reply 3 of 16, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions, zsknight22 and alexanrs. I will test them tomorrow.

zsknight22 wrote:

My current Pentium-120mhz system is running DOS 6.22/WFW 3.11 with 16MB of memory.

Currently I won't be downgrading the main retro PC since I don't have all the components for a Super Socket 7 build with ISA slots.

zsknight22 wrote:

I generally find that building a system with no more than 32-64MB of memory tends to bring the best results. [...] So yes, in your case I would definitely try downgrading your system memory and see if that helps, after properly re-optimizing your startup files and memory usage of course.

The reason for more memory than 16MB/64MB is because I want to eventually get Win9x gaming on it as well. I can remove the 256MB DIMMS for some operations, but I'd prefer to avoid fiddling too much with the hardware on a regular basis.

zsknight22 wrote:

with 16MB of memory.

Unfortunately I don't possess a 16MB DIMM.

zsknight22 wrote:

After optimizing my autoexec.bat/config.sys I get very few complaints from DOS game installation algorithms, if any.

I'm using Phil's autoexec.bat and config.sys plus what was added by the AWE64 drivers and utilities.

alexanrs wrote:

Also, you can try to start the installer in Windows 3.11 from a custom PIF file that configures the app to start with more than 2MB (the default) XMS/EMS memory. [...] Since you have plenty of memory, you could also edit the _DEFAULT.PIF file and increase the default amount of memory given to all DOS boxes

The PIF file customizations I wasn't aware of until this moment, thanks. I am not very familiar yet with Windows pre-95.

alexanrs wrote:

You could try limiting your available memory... If you are using HIMEM.SYS you could try the /NOABOVE16 parameter and see if it restricts you to 16MB.

(EDIT) Great idea, I also wasn't aware of this option.

zsknight22 wrote:

the memory requirements of old dos games

(EDIT) What is nagging me is that DD2 is a 1996 game, one of the more recent big title releases for DOS. I was expecting this sort of thing from older DOS games, not from this one.

In the worst case scenario, I could just install it to a DOS VM with 16MB and copy the installed directory to the real machine, but I really want to understand the issue and explore the options for anyone else bumping into this issue in the future.

Reply 4 of 16, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

This didn't work.

alexanrs wrote:

Also, you can try to start the installer in Windows 3.11 from a custom PIF file that configures the app to start with more than 2MB (the default) XMS/EMS memory. [...] Since you have plenty of memory, you could also edit the _DEFAULT.PIF file and increase the default amount of memory given to all DOS boxes

Now, this did 😀. I just created an individual PIF file with 8200KB for XMS minimum and maximum memory. The installer rolled by without any hiccups.

Now the issue is the ~3x gameplay speed due to it being a Pentium 1 era game running on a Pentium III. Is there any way to turn on a framerate limit? A command line option passed to dd2.exe? I know that with a Super Socket 7 K6-2+/III+ build this wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by PedroPalhoto on 2014-11-06, 23:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are speed issues in SVGA mode even on a Pentium 200! This is broken DOS port. The Windows version behaves the same I believe. I have no idea what is going on in this game.

If I recall correctly running the game in VGA mode gives correct framerate, but don't quote me on it. Its been a while since I tested the game.

The Matrox Mystique version is fine though.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 16, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote:

There are speed issues in SVGA mode even on a Pentium 200! This is broken DOS port. The Windows version behaves the same I believe. I have no idea what is going on in this game.

If I recall correctly running the game in VGA mode gives correct framerate, but don't quote me on it. Its been a while since I tested the game.

The Matrox Mystique version is fine though.

Hi vetz. In 2012 you wrote in another thread concerning running DD2 in DOSbox.

vetz wrote:

The software hires version of Destruction Derby 2 runs too fast even on contemporary hardware like a Pentium 166. It is just a damn mess!! Play with lowres version which does not have this problem or get the Matrox Mystique version.

I have the Matrox Mystique version CD of the game (though I am not running the game through a Mystique card), and I am running in lowres for DOS (dd2.exe), there is no hires executable in the installed directory. What should I do to get it running properly? Get a Mystique card, run the Windows low-res executable, or something else?

BTW, does the AGP Matrox MGA G100 graphics card function as a Mystique for the purposes of this game?

Reply 7 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh, had forgotten about that post.

I think you need to add the command switch -hires to get SVGA mode working in DOS.

You could play it in Windows. if you ever want to use the Mystique version you have to play in Windows. The G100 is an odd card, Putas says MSI is broken on it (http://vintage3d.org/mga3.php), but Destruction Derby 2 is a DLL based MSI game (not direct hardware calls) so maybe, just maybe you'll get it running, but don't have high hopes.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 16, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There *was* a dd2hires.exe file in the directory, I don't know how I missed it! Sorry. Now, in hi res, it runs great. Thanks everyone.

alexanrs wrote:

You could try disabling the l2 or l1 cache or use some slowdown utility

From what I recall by seeing Phil's videos, won't that get the speeds down to 386-ish (on a Pentium III)?

Reply 11 of 16, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry vetz, I also missed your reply.

vetz wrote:

You could play it in Windows. if you ever want to use the Mystique version you have to play in Windows.

Roger that, thanks, I didn't know that.

vetz wrote:

The G100 is an odd card, Putas says MSI is broken on it (http://vintage3d.org/mga3.php), but Destruction Derby 2 is a DLL based MSI game (not direct hardware calls) so maybe, just maybe you'll get it running, but don't have high hopes.

I might one day test that when I have enough tests to do by switching the graphics card on this retro PC, thank you for your input and the link. I had never seen that site before. I'll post back in this thread if I do test the G100 with dd2 mystique.

alexanrs wrote:

Probably... Lowering the multiplier is probably more granular.

Only developer Pentium IIIs can have their internal clock multiplier changed, the regular Joe ones are locked. However, the FSB multiplier can be forced to a different one. The lowest I can go right now I think would be 5.5x66MHz FSB = 363MHz (CPU), which I guess is still too high for DD2 in low-res. I have two Coppermine Pentium III CPUs at the moment: 733MHz@133FSB (5.5x locked internal multiplier) & 850MHz@100FSB (8.5x locked internal multiplier). I also have a SS7 motherboard with Pentium 1, Pentium MMX and a K6-2 CPUs. I could find out what the right speed would be for dd2 low-res, yet the issue is that the motherboard doesn't have ISA slots to hook up the AWE64 🙁.

Reply 12 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I couldn't get any MSI game or DLL working with the G100 when I tried. Was hoping for luck with the Techland MSI GL wrapper 🙁 shame because it's more related with Mystique than it is G200

It does exhibit the matrox-quality 2D signal they're known for so it's not a bad 2D card choice if you can't find the cards before and after it. Keen still jerks on it though 😜

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 16, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I couldn't get any MSI game or DLL working with the G100 when I tried. Was hoping for luck with the Techland MSI GL wrapper 🙁 shame because it's more related with Mystique than it is G200

Thanks for chiming in with this.

leileilol wrote:

It does exhibit the matrox-quality 2D signal they're known for so it's not a bad 2D card choice if you can't find the cards before and after it. Keen still jerks on it though 😜

I like it for not drawing too much power as well. It is great for leaving on an ATX home server you can occasionally use as a light desktop, whose motherboard does not have an integrated graphics card.

Reply 14 of 16, by ddos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PedroPalhoto wrote on 2014-11-06, 22:58:
alexanrs wrote:

Now, this did 😀. I just created an individual PIF file with 8200KB for XMS minimum and maximum memory. The installer rolled by without any hiccups.

I have exactly same problem while trying to run DD2 DOS installer. Can you post your PIF file?

Reply 15 of 16, by djukon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ddos wrote on 2020-03-29, 19:38:

I have exactly same problem while trying to run DD2 DOS installer. Can you post your PIF file?

Hi, ddos. I have a 2016 backup of the file which I'm attaching to the post. I can't test it at the moment to be sure this was what I used in 2014 for the DD2 installer. Be sure to check it in Windows 3.11's PIF Editor first. Please let us know if it is working.

Attachments

• Filename
    _DEFAULT.PIF
    File size
    545 Bytes
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File comment
    Possible PIF file for being able to install Destruction Derby 2 via Windows 3.11 (not tested recently).
    File license
    Public domain