VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i ordered a 486 board from a seller, its the same board as this page, except that it has some -15ns cache chips:

http://www.t-cpu.com/motherboards/486-socket- … i5400-1679.html

it seems to meet my requirements well:
-pci slots
-coin cell
-up to 50fsb support
-with cache chips
-board layout seems ok

the only question is the unknown ald 93c428/93c439 chipset. the company is surprisingly still in existance, making embedded systems, and mentioned about making mainboards in their history.
can anyone find any more detailed info about this board, like a manual, or identify if its a remarked chipset or their own design?

Reply 1 of 5, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't provide more info on the actual board, but it looks like a very late 486 motherboard (1996/1997) and from my own experience they are pretty bulletproof.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 5, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've always been very interested in these ALD boards, because not many people had them. I think they came out at a time when everyone else had abandoned 486s.

Did you know the ALD chipset can supposedly do pipelined burst cache? At least according to the manual. The picture of the board you showed us is using async cache, but one time I actually did find an ALD board with the PLB modules fitted. Unfortunately it was already gone when I went back to buy it.

I believe they actually did make their own chipset, and the user manual should be on the website.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 5, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I've always been very interested in these ALD boards, because not many people had them. I think they came out at a time when everyone else had abandoned 486s.

Did you know the ALD chipset can supposedly do pipelined burst cache? At least according to the manual. The picture of the board you showed us is using async cache, but one time I actually did find an ALD board with the PLB modules fitted. Unfortunately it was already gone when I went back to buy it.

I believe they actually did make their own chipset, and the user manual should be on the website.

i don't know much about this so how to indicate cache modes? does it depend on different types of sram chips installed, or decided by the chipset? which type does common 486 chipsets(intel, sis, umc, ali, via) use? i can only remember that most socket7 chipsets used pipeline-burst cache.