VOGONS

First post, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This may not be much of a retro topic, but it falls into the category of having a more modern system with an internal floppy drive for transfers and such between it and my older systems. I have a Dell Dimension E521 that I've maxed out a few weeks ago with an AMD Athlon X2 5600+, 4MB RAM, and a Geforce 9400 GT (plan to at least upgrade it to a 9800GT since I got an 850W PSU in there). So, I was wondering what would be the last computer or motherboard to support internal 1.44MB high-density disk drives. Sure there are external floppy drives, but I feel that they're not as effective as an internal one.

Official Website: https://dg410.duckdns.org/

Reply 1 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some AM3+ motherboards. I use the AsRock Extreme4 990fx and love it.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 6, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, ASRock Fatal1ty boards had them...

But it must be going through a PCI bus to PCIe express bridge chip.

The last Intel chipsets to support PCI natively were B65, B75, Q65, Q75, Q67, and Q77.

I believe even the AMD 990 still supports native PCI.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 5 of 6, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote:
Yes, ASRock Fatal1ty boards had them... […]
Show full quote

Yes, ASRock Fatal1ty boards had them...

But it must be going through a PCI bus to PCIe express bridge chip.

The last Intel chipsets to support PCI natively were B65, B75, Q65, Q75, Q67, and Q77.

I believe even the AMD 990 still supports native PCI.

AMD 970/990 is older, compared to modern Intel offerings (it's been out for a few years) - that isn't a bad thing, especially if you want more legacy support features. AM2+ boards with 790 can also be useful (they should support AM3 CPUs, depending on BIOS support), and may have more PCI slots than modern boards.

I know my ASRock Z97x does not have floppy/PATA/PCI at all (curiously it does have a header for serial though). USB external drives would be an option on something like that.

Reply 6 of 6, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AMD seems a good option. My only AMD machine is my capture computer in my lab, because it has a FDD port for the GOTEK floppy emulator. I use it very often!

YouTube, Facebook, Website