VOGONS

a 3dfx voodoo guide

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 38, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

e.g. Tigershark

Unpatched Tigershark uses glide 2.1.1 (glide.dll and sst1init.dll).
The easiest way is to use the official patch. The game uses glide2x.dll after this.
The second way - find these 2 glide files and copy them to the %system% directory. Or game directory.
Unfortunately no such patches for Cybergladiators, Mechwarror 2: 31st Century Combat 3dfx, Pandemonium, Scorched Earth and SimCopter...

combining a Voodoo3 with a voodoo1 in one system

Well, install Voodoo3 drivers only. And copy V1 glide2x.dll/glide3x.dll to the game directory if you want to run the game with Voodoo1. Of course there is no ddraw/d3d support for voodoo1 then...
The only possible trouble is - Voodoo3 fxmemmap.vxd may not work with Voodoo1 correctly.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2015-08-03, 10:04. Edited 3 times in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 21 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:
interesting thread, thx! […]
Show full quote

interesting thread, thx!

how do you think about combining a Voodoo3 with a voodoo1 in one system?
I currently use this combination, but I have some issues with it.

Win98se:
I currently have installed only the voodoo3 dx6.1 drivers, the voodoo1 is recognized by the Windows-Installer and stands in the Hardware-List without an error.

I cannot switch to the voodoo1, I only get the primary D3D-Driver that is the Voodoo3.
There are some Games that do not detect the Voodoo1 but seem to require it, because thy do not run in glide-mode with a voodoo3. (e.g. Tigershark)

If I put the old V1-Drivers in the Game-Directory they are not recognized.

If I start an old GTA hat excepts the Voodoo1 Drivers, then the systems hangs-up if I quit the game.

Doc

Thanx for bringing that up! Totally forgot about multiple cards and have now edited the first post.

I don't know about tigershark or gta.

All i can say is: install the voodoo1 first! (so remove all driver stuff from the voodoo3 first). Check that the card works in glide and direct3d. Now install the v3 drivers.
If you can't get the v1 working correctly, remove all drivers for it and read the first post (about the v1 diamond driver).

I haven't tried yet a v1 and v3 but i've got a v2 and v3 working perfectly, and some people got all three cards working.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 22 of 38, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are right. I needed three files from my old "diamond super cd 02_98". "glide.dll", sst1.., fxm....
With these three files the game runs fine in 3dfx-mode 😀

I have an other issue with shadow-warrior. If I start it in 3dfx-mode I only see a white screen.
The Intro is visible, but then everything is whiteout. Any idea what the problem is?

Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 23 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:
You are right. I needed three files from my old "diamond super cd 02_98". "glide.dll", sst1.., fxm.... With these three files th […]
Show full quote

You are right. I needed three files from my old "diamond super cd 02_98". "glide.dll", sst1.., fxm....
With these three files the game runs fine in 3dfx-mode 😀

I have an other issue with shadow-warrior. If I start it in 3dfx-mode I only see a white screen.
The Intro is visible, but then everything is whiteout. Any idea what the problem is?

Thx
Doc

I don't know about that game, but with patch it also seems to work on v2 so v1 should work without issues. V3 is NOT compatible.
Try putting the v1 glide2x.ovl file in the game folder, try one from another (maybe older?) driver if it doesn't work.

putting the voodoo add-on in another slot sometimes fixes issues too (even when they run other games fine).

Reply 25 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It works with other dos glide games? And did you try another slot? (even when it works with other games this sometimes helps)

Reply 26 of 38, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The easiest way to test is to download glide diagnostics kit. There are DOS and Windows versions. The only trouble - glide3x tests not work for me in WinXp: "grSstWinOpen: need to use a valid window handle".

Shadow Warrior works ok on my test PC (Win98 no GUI boot. No sound, because I don't have proper DOS PCI soundcard). Maybe later I will test it with FreeDOS 1.1.

Reply 28 of 38, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something is wrong. "detect" detects the voodoo1, but either ShadowWarrior or Schleichfahrt run. I have changed the Voodoo1-Cards, I changed the slots, I put out the Intel-Network-Card, nothing helps, so it must be anything about the drivers. maybe my drivers are to new. What are the first V1 drivers including the dos-drivers. (glide 2.1.1?)

after changing the cards "tigershark" produces a general exception error in kernel32.dll. has it worked with the v1 or with the v3 before...I am not sure about this.
I have to setup the machine again.

🙁

Reply 30 of 38, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hm...I don't understand this:

- ShadowWarrior (white screen)
- Schleichfahrt (does not run)
- Extreme Assault works but to high refresh rate for my tft (uses 85hz) my tft shots down after a view minutes.

I reinstalled Win98se, but Tigershark does not work anymore. I use the same drivers as before, but it does not work.

Every game, that uses the Voodoo3 runs fine.

Doc

Reply 31 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A p2-333 is not to fast for a voodoo1. It must be a driver problem.

What i would try is this: Do a clean install of windows (yes again) with only the voodoo1 drivers installed and see if the games work. If you need 2d display drivers try a different card so not the v3.

When the games work you know it's a driver problem and go from there. Try different drivers for BOTH cards and see how it goes. Remember, install the v3 last and put voodoo3 ovl or dll driver in a game's directory if it doesn't work.

I mainly play dos glide games that can start perfectly from 98se and i never had a 3dfx game not working with my voodoo1. My sequence is allways the same: clean 98se, directx6.1, directx media (don't know why, always do this), oldest diamond v1 driver, directx 7, latest official voodoo1 driver WITHOUT overwriting some file when asked when it says your system contains a newer version (don't know the name right now).

Some steps are probably not needed but my voodoo1 systems always work perfectly after doing this.

Reply 32 of 38, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had problems with my V1 - as in more than usual - running on a P2-300 (66MHz BUS) in 98SE. Seems to be about flat out on a K5-PR166 to me to be honest and it did work a little better. Could be software-specific to a degree I suppose, early 3D acceleration was never well optimized or highly reliable so the performance and stability vary considerably from one application to the next.

Never found out why it didn't like the machine, just noting that I got similar results in a similar system. Having a V3 that my use the same file names though, that is definitely suspect.

Mine is an Orchid and is very finicky about drivers on its own, never mind with a potentially conflicting card.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 33 of 38, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Mine is an Orchid

By the way, did you still have driver cds? I try to find Orchid Righteous 3d 1.00 EU driver disk, with Actua Soccer/Fatal Racing.

Reply 34 of 38, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, I never got them with it, all the software was gone. All my Dad ever gave me was the box, a few of the manuals and the card on its own. Sucks, because it had a Star Wars game in there I'd like to have played.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 35 of 38, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:
A p2-333 is not to fast for a voodoo1. It must be a driver problem. […]
Show full quote

A p2-333 is not to fast for a voodoo1. It must be a driver problem.

What i would try is this: Do a clean install of windows (yes again) with only the voodoo1 drivers installed and see if the games work. If you need 2d display drivers try a different card so not the v3.

When the games work you know it's a driver problem and go from there. Try different drivers for BOTH cards and see how it goes. Remember, install the v3 last and put voodoo3 ovl or dll driver in a game's directory if it doesn't work.

I mainly play dos glide games that can start perfectly from 98se and i never had a 3dfx game not working with my voodoo1. My sequence is allways the same: clean 98se, directx6.1, directx media (don't know why, always do this), oldest diamond v1 driver, directx 7, latest official voodoo1 driver WITHOUT overwriting some file when asked when it says your system contains a newer version (don't know the name right now).

Some steps are probably not needed but my voodoo1 systems always work perfectly after doing this.

OK, I'll try this. What I dislike in that setup is, that the Diamond-V1-Driver installs some snap-ins in the graphics-control panel, but I'll try this.

Reply 37 of 38, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i am curious, would say a voodoo2 be damaged if used on a modern H97 board with PCI and i5? it's not compatible right?

are Pentium 4 the max you can use a v2 with?

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 38 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
svfn wrote:

i am curious, would say a voodoo2 be damaged if used on a modern H97 board with PCI and i5? it's not compatible right?

are Pentium 4 the max you can use a v2 with?

It's perhaps better to create your own thread for this specific question. This thread hasn't been replied to in a number of years 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!