VOGONS

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed an old Abit AB-BM6 motherboard today. When starting the computer, I will get the following error message:

CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU

I have not managed to solve this problem. If I change BIOS settings to ignore errors, then this is not shown, but what may be the reason? There is some Intel Celeron CPU on the motherboard.

Reply 2 of 4, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tried different settings for the CPU in BIOS, but after saving and restarting computer, they are always changed back to the default values. Somewhere I read that the battery replacement would help, but I'm not sure because the other settings are not changed.

How should the battery be removed from this kind of clip?

205sfpk.jpg

Reply 3 of 4, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your CMOS battery is dead. Remove and replace it. Don't pull on the metal clip, it will break. There is a bit of plastic on the side you can push on to remove the battery. It's a standard CR2032 3.3V coin-cell battery, easily found in most shops, even some corner stores.

Reply 4 of 4, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

Your CMOS battery is dead. Remove and replace it. Don't pull on the metal clip, it will break. There is a bit of plastic on the side you can push on to remove the battery. It's a standard CR2032 3.3V coin-cell battery, easily found in most shops, even some corner stores.

If the battery is dead and the computer is plugged to the AC outlet, shouldn't it keep the settings in that case anyway? But I will replace the battery and test if it works. This battery is old I think.