VOGONS

3dfx and 3D Glasses

Topic actions

First post, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never knew that Metabyte had some of it's roots in 3D Glasses stuff; including a driver that allowed the use of different glasses and they even sold prepacked stuff as well.

Finding the full eyescream package seems to be nil, but is there any somewhat modern stuff I could find on ebay and use the eyescream drivers with on my Voodoo 5?

Reply 2 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It said stuff about being H3D compatible glasses, but I didn't know if any newer stuff that used some sort of controller card or synced somehow to VGA would work. Hell, maybe even Sega Master System 3D Glasses.

Reply 3 of 57, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ I've got one of those, it uses a VGA passthrough box and a windows (directx??) driver which somehow modulates the 3D glasses sync signal into the VGA signal, which is then decoded by the box. The glasses are standard Master System clone-type with a 1/8" headphone jack.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 5 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, how well does it work with Quake 1 and 2? Is it fairly decent like the Sega Master System? The SMS had a few 3D games that didn't look all that bad. I know I shouldn't expect some huge VR world, but if it looks a bit like it's popping out at you without too much goofiness from the view world I'm interested!

Reply 6 of 57, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since you want to use Wicked3D eyescream drivers, you're a bit limited in your choices, as you need glasses/controller box that support the specific 3D format it uses. Wicked3D outputs a split screen top/bottom format, which is then encoded by the box and converted to 3D, which isn't exactly a simple process.

http://www.stereo3d.com/wicked3d.htm#howitworks

Last edited by tgod on 2015-09-23, 08:25. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 57, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Maraakate wrote:

Also, how well does it work with Quake 1 and 2? Is it fairly decent like the Sega Master System? The SMS had a few 3D games that didn't look all that bad. I know I shouldn't expect some huge VR world, but if it looks a bit like it's popping out at you without too much goofiness from the view world I'm interested!

To be honest I haven't used it much in its native form. I seem to remember Windows 3D games like Unreal worked well enough, but I only tried it a couple of times. I bought the whole set for $1 so I could use the glasses with a homemade serial port box and run DOS stuff like Descent 1 & 2 and Rend386 - which works really well! Through a good CRT monitor they look pretty good, the 3D effects work well (although better at night than in a brightly lit room during the day.)

3dv1.gif

There is also a 3-pin mini-DIN so you could use Nvidia-style glasses if you want. A bit more info & pics of my setup in this post.

Edit: Doesn't look like the passthrough dongle is user-openable unfortunately - no screws. I don't want to damage it trying to crack it open.

Last edited by xjas on 2015-09-23, 07:53. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 8 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
Maraakate wrote:

To be honest I haven't used it much in its native form. I seem to remember Windows 3D games like Unreal worked well enough, but I only tried it a couple of times. I bought the whole set for $1 so I could use the glasses with a homemade serial port box and run DOS stuff like Descent 1 & 2 and Rend386. Through a good CRT monitor they look pretty good, the 3D effects work well (although better at night than in a brightly lit room during the day.)

That's what I was hoping for. I got a pretty decent CRT Monitor (a 21" Hitachi SuperScan 813) that can easily handle 120hz at 1024x768 and beyond so if I can find the proper hardware it should work well.

Reply 9 of 57, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ See edits above. BTW - in case anyone is thinking it - the glasses are useless on an LCD despite the package saying otherwise. Even if you had one where the refresh was good enough to avoid ghosting you have to hold your head at 45 deg. angle so that you can actually see the screen due to polarization!

Reply 10 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I figured all this stuff would only work on a CRT anyways. Admittedly, there's not a single LCD in my house (only console TVs for me!). I got lucky a few years ago a guy worked for an architecture firm as their IT guy and had a basement filled with quality 21" CRT monitors; ended up grabbing about 10 of them as well as a bunch of P2 and P3 towers and one tower was a Socket 7. I love viewing stuff at 1856x1392@85hz! 😁

Reply 14 of 57, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maraakate wrote:

Apparently not, if I change the link to http://www.ebay.com from http://www.ebay.de it says it cant find the listing 😀

It never hurts to ask, although I asked him previously about his Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 KYRO 2 and had no luck.

Reply 15 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have any money right now for that. Someone who owns that knows it's worth something, so I'll very unlikely get it for cheap. Thanks for the link though. Good to see some close ups of the setup.

Reply 16 of 57, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maraakate wrote:

I don't have any money right now for that. Someone who owns that knows it's worth something, so I'll very unlikely get it for cheap. Thanks for the link though. Good to see some close ups of the setup.

You're correct, but he won't get as much as he otherwise could by selling it worldwide. Yes, it's probably rare, local thrift stores and garage sales would probably be your best bet. You're welcome.

Reply 17 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
Maraakate wrote:

You're correct, but he won't get as much as he otherwise could by selling it worldwide. Yes, it's probably rare, local thrift stores and garage sales would probably be your best bet. You're welcome.

Yes, I've noticed silly things with boneheaded sellers with rare stuff only willing to ship it in their local country. If it was something large and heavy I would understand, but otherwise I don't get it.

Reply 18 of 57, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tgod wrote:

As it turns out, I have a second pair of the glasses. Was keeping them as a spare but PM me if you pick this up & need them.

Any glasses of the old Master System-type should work.

EDIT: Also, this is a steal, and it will work with DOS games too. The glasses themselves 'should' be compatible with the eDimensional dongle (and are much sexier looking 😉 ) :

SimulEyes - complete in box - $19

Reply 19 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
As it turns out, I have a second pair of the glasses. Was keeping them as a spare but PM me if you pick this up & need them. […]
Show full quote
tgod wrote:

As it turns out, I have a second pair of the glasses. Was keeping them as a spare but PM me if you pick this up & need them.

Any glasses of the old Master System-type should work.

EDIT: Also, this is a steal, and it will work with DOS games too. The glasses themselves 'should' be compatible with the eDimensional dongle (and are much sexier looking 😉 ) :

SimulEyes - complete in box - $19

How are you guys sure these boxes will work with the h3d drivers? I do have some SMS glasses; but the simuleyes thing looks cool.