VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would anyone be willing to make an image of their 386 motherboard's BIOS with VLSI VL82C330/331/332 chipsets? Thanks.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 34, by HardwareExtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I MAY have a motherboard with one of those chipsets, but how would you even make an image of the BIOS? I only have 3 386 mobos, but many 486 boards

Q: Why didn't Intel call the Pentium the 586?
A: Because they added 486 and 100 on the first Pentium and got 585.999983605.

Source: http://www.columbia.edu/~sss31/rainbow/pentium.jokes.html

Reply 3 of 34, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NSSI has an option to save the contents of the BIOS. http://www.navsoft.cz/products.htm

There are other ways, but I've found NSSI to be pretty reliable and it is easy to get hold of and run.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 4 of 34, by turtlesedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Would anyone be willing to make an image of their 386 motherboard's BIOS with VLSI VL82C330/331/332 chipsets? Thanks.

I have a motherboard with these chipsets, sadly it only has the BIOS even. I would be willing to try and extract the BIOS even for you if it helps, I have never done it before though.

I am also interested in finding the BIOS odd.

Reply 5 of 34, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

turtlesedge - Does the motherboard you have contain two BIOS sockets, with one missing? Or does it contain a single BIOS socket?

I think there is software which can create even/odd BIOSes from a board with only a single BIOS chip.

Reply 6 of 34, by turtlesedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

turtlesedge - Does the motherboard you have contain two BIOS sockets, with one missing? Or does it contain a single BIOS socket?

I think there is software which can create even/odd BIOSes from a board with only a single BIOS chip.

Yes it contains two BIOS sockets and there is one BIOS missing. I haven't tested it properly yet but assumed there was a missing BIOS. I have to try and fix a couple of the traces and replace the DIN socket first since a nicad battery leaked, the damage seems to be only around the keyboard socket.

It would be great if I could make another BIOS.

Attachments

• 20160928_194517.jpg
    Filename
    20160928_194517.jpg
    File size
    1.84 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20160928_194432.jpg
    Filename
    20160928_194432.jpg
    File size
    1.97 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 34, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A universal programmer would be helpful. I use a Wellon VP-390. You also need the appropriate sized EEPROM chips. Attached are the even and odd BIOSes from my AMI Mark V Baby Screamer.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 34, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
turtlesedge wrote:

Thanks that would be great, what kind of equipment will I need to create a BIOS?

I recently asked for some advice on the same topic and received some good feedback.
Refer: EPROM burner and "blank" BIOS chips

Reply 13 of 34, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Strange that one BIOS chip is missing.

Not that strange, I've seen it on other motherboards. It's not really "missing", but it has an extra socket for installing BIOS extensions. I have for instance a XT clone motherboard with no less than 8 BIOS sockets, all mapped throughout the F000-FFFF region. Five of them are populated ( one is the BIOS itself, the other 4 are the IBM Basic) and three are open. I have actually used one of the open sockets to install some custom BIOS extensions that I burned in an EPROM. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14 of 34, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Strange that one BIOS chip is missing.

Not that strange, I've seen it on other motherboards. It's not really "missing", but it has an extra socket for installing BIOS extensions. I have for instance a XT clone motherboard with no less than 8 BIOS sockets, all mapped throughout the F000-FFFF region. Five of them are populated ( one is the BIOS itself, the other 4 are the IBM Basic) and three are open. I have actually used one of the open sockets to install some custom BIOS extensions that I burned in an EPROM. 😀

It is strange because his existing BIOS chip says "even", which means there is also a missing "odd" BIOS chip. Both of these BIOSes are needed. It seems odd to me that the previous owner would remove one of them and not put it back.

Reply 15 of 34, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> which means there is also a missing "odd" BIOS chip

There are boards with a single chip which has also printed 'even' on it. Wether this is the case here can be tested with a multimeter in continuity checker mode: When i.e. the pins 15 of both sockets show zero ohms it's an 8-bit interface and works with a single chip.

1+1=10

Reply 16 of 34, by turtlesedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually tried to boot the motherboard and it was working but would fail after post or when I would would try to save settings to the CMOS. It would come up with a "parity error" in large text.

I am guessing the previous owner just pulled the other ROM out for some reason.

Reply 18 of 34, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

> which means there is also a missing "odd" BIOS chip

There are boards with a single chip which has also printed 'even' on it. Wether this is the case here can be tested with a multimeter in continuity checker mode: When i.e. the pins 15 of both sockets show zero ohms it's an 8-bit interface and works with a single chip.

Interesting. I was not aware of that. turtlesedge, could you measure this with a multi-meter?

If his board was meant to work with a single chip, what would be the purpose of the other socket.