VOGONS

First post, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up a Socket 7 system at someone's place, and I plan on using it for word processing. I have run into problems with it, and I am out of ideas as to how to resolve these.

A first thing I should mention is that the guy I bought it from (understandably) took out the hard drive, so I have never actually seen this machine work under a real operating system. When I first started up the PC after I got it home I could, however, enter the BIOS (it said that the RTC battery was empty). I looked for details regarding the motherboard there, but I could not find any.

I turned the PC off, put in a hard drive (less than 6GB in size) I had lying around, and connected it to the board with the 40-wire IDE cable that was inside the case. I took care to connect the longest side of the cable onto the motherboard. I do not know whether all 40-wire cables are like the one in this system, but the connectors on this cable are shaped in such a way that you can plug them onto a motherboard or a hard drive "both" ways (I mean, you can turn the connector 180 degrees and it will still plug just fine onto either the motherboard or the hard drive). The strange thing was that with the hard drive connected to the motherboard, the PC would not boot. There was no BIOS screen, no beeps, no lights going on on the keyboard. The screen was black.

I turned the PC off again, disconnected the drive, turned on the PC once more, and there was the BIOS screen again.

I thought it would be a good idea to first replace the CMOS battery (it is empty, as I said). That was when I discovered that in very old systems like this one the CMOS memory was powered by another type of battery, called RTC battery (a little black rectangular box on the motherboard, see the third photo). I found the RTC battery on the board, and pried it off (it said 'benchmarq' on it and it was inside a socket --instead of being soldered onto the board). I reseated the RTC battery into its socket, hooked up the system to the power outlet, pressed the power button, and this time there was only a black screen. The hard drive was not connected to the motherboard at that time. And, yes, the graphics card was connected to the display. I pried the CMOS battery out off its socket once more, and left it out while I powered the system on again. Still, only a black screen.

I then read that on old systems like this one removing the CMOS battery is not enough to reset the BIOS. If what I read and remember is correct you also need to set certain jumper settings so that when you power on the system (without the CMOS battery) the BIOS will be reset. Then you power off the system again, reseat the RTC battery (or place a new one), and you can use the system with its BIOS reset. the thing here is that I am not sure of the brand and model of the motherboard. I wrote down some numbers that I found on the motherboard, and from what I found on the internet I suspect the board is an Intel 430FX, but I am not sure. The brand and model of the system as a whole are a complete mystery to me.

These numbers --all of which I found on black chips on the motherboard-- are the following.

PCIset
S82438FX

PCIset
SB82437FX-66 (see fourth photo)

PCIset
SB82371FB

I have several questions.

1) Identify the brand and the model of the motherboard AND the system.

2) Tell me what I am doing wrong here. Is there a possibility the system broke down? Or does it refuse to boot because the BIOS has not been reset? Or because the battery is completely dead?

3) Is what I said above regarding the jumper settings correct? Can I expect the BIOS to be reset when I set the correct jumper settings? In that case, which jumper settings would I have to set, and where exactly on the board?

4) When the system finally boots, how can I get it to recognize a hard drive?

PS: at the back of the motherboard there are some pins where jumpers can be set (cf the last picture). I looked at the schematics of two versions of this board --Advanced/EV (Endeavor) and Advanced/AS (Atlantis)-- and on the basis of what I read I had the impression these are the pins I am looking for. You can see these pins in the file 'jumper_settings.jpg'. The photo is mostly very dark; I had to adjust the gamma to make the numbers nex to the pins come through clearly.

Attachments

• system_case.jpg
    Filename
    system_case.jpg
    File size
    932.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • system_front.jpg
    Filename
    system_front.jpg
    File size
    847.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • RTCbattery1.jpg
    Filename
    RTCbattery1.jpg
    File size
    347.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Motherboard_chip.jpg
    Filename
    Motherboard_chip.jpg
    File size
    346.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • jumper_settings.jpg
    Filename
    jumper_settings.jpg
    File size
    424.68 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 39, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a few things:
a) The RTC is not a battery. It stands for "Real Time Clock". RTCs can be powered by external batteries or have one inside their package. You'll have to do some research to see if you can replace the bq3287AMT chip with a Dallas (which I think you can still get new)
b) The fact that the system stopped booting after you reseated it isn't good. Have you been able to get it to the BIOS screen again?
c) The board not booting when you plug an HDD can indicate that you plugged it backwards. Since the connector itself isn't notched you'll have to match pin 1 on the board to the red wire in the flat cable.

Reply 2 of 39, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Just a few things:
a) The RTC is not a battery.

Did not know this. I thought it could be referred to as a battery. But if an RTC is more than a battery what other functions does it have?

alexanrs wrote:

It stands for "Real Time Clock". RTCs can be powered by external batteries or have one inside their package. You'll have to do some research to see if you can replace the bq3287AMT chip with a Dallas (which I think you can still get new)

According to the following document, that is the case: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/bq3287.pdf

alexanrs wrote:

b) The fact that the system stopped booting after you reseated it isn't good. Have you been able to get it to the BIOS screen again?
c) The board not booting when you plug an HDD can indicate that you plugged it backwards. Since the connector itself isn't notched you'll have to match pin 1 on the board to the red wire in the flat cable.

I haven't tried since last time. Haven't had the time to. I have no idea as to what I did wrong. When I understood that the system would not detect the hard drive, I powered it down, and pried out the RTC chip, and in so doing realized it was inside a socket (not soldered onto the board). I took a good long look at the RTC chip, looked for info on the internet, and reseated it. Then it refused to boot. The system does power on, the cpu fan turns, and the CD drive tray ejects when I press the button. I reckon that means there is power on the board. What might be preventing the system from booting then?

As I asked in my post, do I have to set some specific jumper settings to get the BIOS to reset itself? So that the system might then boot?

Reply 3 of 39, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That document states it is an RTC module with an integral Lithium cell, which basically means it is an RTC with a battery jammed in the package.

Anyway, most boards did have jumpers to reset it - something like CLR CMOS could be written near it. Without a good picture of the board outside of the case with nothing connected I can't say for sure, but it shouldn't be far from the module itself. worst case scenario you can remove it once more and short the ~RCL pin to the ground pin with a wire.

And if the board stopped booting, please make sure that the RTC chip is installed correctly.

Reply 4 of 39, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

That document states it is an RTC module with an integral Lithium cell, which basically means it is an RTC with a battery jammed in the package.

Anyway, most boards did have jumpers to reset it - something like CLR CMOS could be written near it. Without a good picture of the board outside of the case with nothing connected I can't say for sure, but it shouldn't be far from the module itself.

I looked over the board as much as I could with components blocking my view, and I couldn't find jumpers that said something along those lines. But if someone can tell me what brand and model this board is, then I can look up the schematics. I said I have the impression it is an Intel 430FX, but I'm not sure about it. In the first place seeing as I looked at the schematics of the 430FX, and my board appears to be different.

alexanrs wrote:

worst case scenario you can remove it once more and short the ~RCL pin to the ground pin with a wire.

This method would make the BIOS reset? How do I know which pin is which?

alexanrs wrote:

And if the board stopped booting, please make sure that the RTC chip is installed correctly.

I did.

At any rate, this topic gives hope: Dead RTC chip preventing boot?

Reply 5 of 39, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Odiseo wrote:

This method would make the BIOS reset? How do I know which pin is which?

It would, though I'm not sure it will make your board POST again. There is a picture in the lower left corner of the first page of the document you linked that shows where the pins are. It might be wise to get the datasheets for the bq3285 and see if there is anything specific you need to do to trigger the reset (like shorting it for X seconds or something like that).

Reply 6 of 39, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

worst case scenario you can remove it once more and short the ~RCL pin to the ground pin with a wire.

alexanrs wrote:

It would, though I'm not sure it will make your board POST again. There is a picture in the lower left corner of the first page of the document you linked that shows where the pins are. It might be wise to get the datasheets for the bq3285 and see if there is anything specific you need to do to trigger the reset (like shorting it for X seconds or something like that).

I want to make sure I understood you correctly. You do mean the pins on the RTC chip, right (not the corresponding pin holes on the motherboard)? First, I short those two pins on the RTC chip, then reseat it into the socket on the motherboard, and power on the system?

The fact of the matter is I would prefer to reset the BIOS through setting jumpers. I don't have experience in shorting pins on any kind of chip, and I don't want to screw up the board. However, I'm not sure which brand and model of motherboard this is, so I don't know which manual (and schematics) I should look at. As I said, I suspect it's an Intel 430FX, as in a topic on Vogons I found manuals for two different versions of the 430FX that have the three numbers on their front pages that I saw labeled on black chips on the motherboard that I am dealing with. I found the manuals in the following topic: Intel-built 486/Pentium/PPro/PII motherboard guide. Look under the headings 'Advanced/EV (Endeavor)' and 'Advanced/AS (Atlantis)'.

In my mind, that's a very good indication this board is in fact of the 430FX line. Yet, the schematics in those two manuals do not entirely correspond to what I see on this motherboard (for example, some chips are not where they should be, I see more expansion slots on my board, I can't find the jumper pins on my board, I do find jumper pins at the back of the board that are not in the manual, etc.). So maybe the board is not a 430FX after all.

So, if someone could identify this board for me on the basis of those numbers that would be cool 😀. Here they are again.

PCIset
S82438FX

PCIset
SB82437FX-66 (see fourth photo)

PCIset
SB82371FB

Reply 7 of 39, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would start by taking it all apart, and do a test-bench setup. From that point, you can work you'r way through to a working machine.
When all hardware and software are working, then put it all back in the case.

This aproach will let you work out all the quirks, more easy and you will get to know the system in and out.
Take some photo's of the motherboard, and all other parts and post them here on Vogons.
This way, people can help you the best.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8 of 39, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Odiseo: Welcome to the world of old computers! They just stop working for no reason and you have to poke around until it works again. Don't panic, it will work again, but how long it will take to figure out the problem is anyone's guess - and half the fun!

The RTC chip is where all the CMOS/BIOS settings are stored, including the current date and time. The system should still POST (come up with something on the screen) without the chip, so unless you mis-inserted it (perhaps not quite lining it up in the socket properly) then the problem must be elsewhere.

Often issues like this are related to the system memory. I'd suggest removing the sticks of memory and putting them back again - just the act of moving them in and out of their sockets can be enough to make a clean connection and get things going again. If that doesn't work, then as brostenen says, you will pretty much have to pull all the parts out and test it sitting on a table - otherwise so many things could go wrong you might fix one thing and cause another problem but not even notice because the system doesn't change its behaviour.

The numbers you have posted are of the chips on the motherboard - these are standard chips that all motherboards of that type have, so there are probably a few thousand different boards with those same chips. To have any hope of someone here identifying the board, you'll have to take it out of the case and take a good clear photo, just like this one. In that photo, there is a table (in grid H3) that tells you switch #4 controls whether the CMOS is cleared or operating normally. The switch itself is in a block of eight in grid G9, just to give you one example of what you are looking for. Yours could be a jumper instead, like you see in grid N1.

Lastly, 430FX isn't a line of boards, it's a chipset. To use a car analogy, you could consider this the type of engine. There's no "V8" line of cars, and looking at how one V8 car works when you are trying to fix the radio in another V8 car won't really help much. Likewise looking at details for one 430FX board won't help much with another. This is why it's so important to identify the specific model, otherwise you are just wandering around in the dark guessing. This is also why those numbers you posted can't be used to identify the board - it's like someone saying "hey I just got a new car, can anyone tell me what model it is? It has a CD player" - it doesn't really narrow down the options very much 😀

I know it's a lot of effort to unplug everything to get a clear photo, but trust me, a few hours doing that is much easier than wasting days just guessing and going nowhere fast! On the plus side, unplugging everything and plugging it all back in again fixes so many problems you may have to resort to doing that anyway, so might as well give it a good clean and get some good clear photos in the process!

Reply 10 of 39, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, thanks guys! I'll do what you --Malvineous and brostenen-- suggest. It's going to take me a bit to take everything out of the case. I expect to have time on Saturday. When I have a good picture I'll post it here together with any findings and results.

Reply 11 of 39, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sutekh94 wrote:

White ISA slots... ECS mobo?

That's what I thought too,but then I noticed the BIOS and RTC chip placement don't show up on any of ECS' 430FX boards with white ISA slots.

I could be wrong tho.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 12 of 39, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah.... I saw those white ISA slot's too. I just don't have the knowledge to say what board it could be.
I had an idea that people would start identify the board by that.... Well... That's Vogons. 😁

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13 of 39, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What do you think of these photos?

I took these with my mobile phone. I do have a good digital camera around, but the batteries are dead at the moment. If you need a better photo, I can take one tomorrow.

Attachments

Reply 14 of 39, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What does the writing say between the PCI and ISA slot? It looks like it ends in M101. There's a good chance that'll be the motherboard model.

Also what does the writing say below the Award Software BIOS chip? I can see "OFF: Normal mode" but I can't make out what it says should happen in the ON position.

Reply 16 of 39, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks like it! I guess that means the obscured writing is 5IEM M101. And the writing below the jumper is apparently for the green PC switch, so the hidden writing probably says something like "ON: Sleep mode" or similar.

Reply 17 of 39, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks so far guys!

Apparently, my digital camera is not as good as I thought.

I made new pictures with my mobile phone, but this time every photo is just one segment of the motherboard.

Malvineous wrote:

I guess that means the obscured writing is 5IEM M101.

Indeed.

Malvineous wrote:

And the writing below the jumper is apparently for the green PC switch, so the hidden writing probably says something like "ON: Sleep mode" or similar.

It says "On: SMI Mode".

Attachments

• motherboard01.jpg
    Filename
    motherboard01.jpg
    File size
    2.9 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    ISA slots
    File license
  • motherboard01_2.jpg
    Filename
    motherboard01_2.jpg
    File size
    3.05 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Detail of the writing between the ISA and PCI slots
    File license
  • motherboard02.jpg
    Filename
    motherboard02.jpg
    File size
    3.87 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    PCI slots
    File license
  • motherboard03.jpg
    Filename
    motherboard03.jpg
    File size
    2.99 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    RAM slots
    File license
Last edited by Odiseo on 2016-02-13, 11:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 39, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is the rest of the pictures.

Attachments

• motherboard04.jpg
    Filename
    motherboard04.jpg
    File size
    2.7 MiB
    Views