VOGONS

First post, by SuperHanSolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive been trying to remove this pentium heatsink for ages but it wont even move a millimeter.
it looks like this:
http://www.cpushack.com/chippics/Intel/PODP/I … elPODP5V133.jpg

But mine is a P1 133 with the fan missing.

Tried heat, pliers, wedging it out with a flat screwdriver, tried to force solvent through. Nothing worked.

I didnt want to go much hotter than a hairdryer, i figured a heat-gun might damage the CPU die. Should i just use more force ? But that might break the ceramic.
What on earth did Intel use to bond the heatsinks on these ? It seems like some kind of super strong epoxy.
Any ideas on what to try next ?

Win 98 Retro PC: AMD K6-2+ @ 550mhz, Mitac 5114VU motherboard, 256MB RAM, Radeon 7000 PCI 64MB DDR
Win 95 Retro PC: Intel Pentium 233mmx, Elpina M571 motherboard, 32MB EDO RAM, Voodoo 3 2000 16MB PCI
Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7700x, 32GB DDR5-6000, Geforce 3080

Reply 1 of 17, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if its an epoxy they glued with you need something alot stronger but not sure what would be safe to use, I know nail polish remover would break down the epoxy but it might also destroy the chip. Easier solution go to ebay and buy another Pentium 133, they are a dime a dozen

Reply 3 of 17, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've removed a few epoxy glued heatsinks in Xboxes using a heat gun back in the days. A hair dryer just won't reach the temperatures needed to weaken the glue sufficiently.

Begin with heating the heatsink up to ~80deg C. Try twisting rather than prying it off. If it doesn't come loose, heat it up another 10 degrees to 90 deg C and try again. Keep raising the temperature in increments of 10 degrees and trying to twist it off until it comes loose. If it won't come loose before 150 deg C, I'd given up and just ebayed a new CPU, it's not like Pentiums are expensive.

Of course you don't do this with the CPU mounted in the socket. Clamp it in a vice, or perhaps use an adjustable spanner large enough to grip the CPU. Remember to protect the CPU from mechanical damage, put some copper or aluminum sheet or something between the jaws and the CPU.

Reply 4 of 17, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a flathead screwdriver to remove Intel heatsinks from Pentium CPUs. The glue isnt that strong but its best to be careful with MMX/P200 CPUs as its easy to damage the components on top.

Removing the heatsink is not as easy with the Pentium Classic ceramic package as with P200 and MXX CPUs though as its harder to get something in between the heatsink and the CPU package.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 17, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

considering its epoxy, use a razer blade and go in circles until you cut through it, then clean the stuff remaining with an epoxy remover, be careful to not let it sit to long of course

Reply 6 of 17, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The epoxy Intel used on the OverDrive line of CPU's is among the toughest I have ever encountered. That goes from the 486's through the Pentium line. Normally I would suggest a heat gun or solder reflow gun, but that type of thermal epoxy is so tough it doesn't help that much. If you live in an area that you can still get some freon then I suggest that. Yeah, the cold temps help make the epoxy brittle, but the freon will also breakdown many types of epoxy (like a low grade acid), and won't hurt the chip. However, getting freon nowadays is both hard and expensive so that's probably not an option. If you do manage it, make sure you do the work outside to avoid the toxic fumes that will build up in a normally ventilated room.

I really can't think of to many options when it comes to the OverDrive chips as they are a real pain in the butt with that super epoxy Intel used. One or two of OD chips had a heatsink that was built into the chip package and couldn't be removed, but yours is not one of those. It can be removed, but it's going to take time, effort, and patience. Careful use of a thin bread knife can provide uniform pressure when trying to separate the heatsink from the package. Thin razors are a danger and a pain with normal epoxy, but almost useless with the Intel stuff. I would just recommend many trips to the freezer and carefully prying with the bread knife. As soon as the chips starts to feel warmer in your hands, stick it back in the freezer for an hour and try again. Might take a few days of doing it that way, but it will work.

You'll have to man handle it a bit, but pay attention and you shouldn't do any damage. When the heatsink finally pops off, then hopefully most of the epoxy will be on the heatsink and not the chip package. If you still have a large amount on the package, you will have to carefully remove it with a fresh razor while not scratching the surface of the package. Again, patience is key. Good luck.

Reply 7 of 17, by SuperHanSolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The freezer method sounds good.

Wedging things in between seems almost impossible, razors fit but they are not strong enough to put any major prying force. Anything stronger just doesnt have any space to fit it.

I agree this stuff they used to glue it, is unbelievably tough for such a thin layer, must be like that stuff they use to glue chassis pieces on cars 🤣.

Win 98 Retro PC: AMD K6-2+ @ 550mhz, Mitac 5114VU motherboard, 256MB RAM, Radeon 7000 PCI 64MB DDR
Win 95 Retro PC: Intel Pentium 233mmx, Elpina M571 motherboard, 32MB EDO RAM, Voodoo 3 2000 16MB PCI

Reply 10 of 17, by SuperHanSolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay its off, I let it get cold like Kodai said, then put in on top of some sofa foam (so i can exert force to pry with bending pins badly) and pried with the biggest flat i could get, a tiny corner gave way then i shoved a smaller chrome vanadium flat screwdriver in that gap. Even after that i had to pry so hard the chrome chipped off the screwdriver but it came off.

Its a wierd glue, dark pink in color almost the same color as the CPU, feels rubbery but its actually fairly hard, if you try and scrape it off with a razer under its top surface it sparkles. I have no idea what this is, never seen a glue like this before but im hugely impressed with its strength. This is some old school industrial sh!t.

Reply 11 of 17, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Take some pics if you have yet to clean it off. I'm curious about this odd TIM. 99% of the time, the pink stuff is a pre-made strip of of TIM that seems to be tough but its only due surface tension. What you are describing doesn't sound like epoxy, but it doesn't match the standard pink stuff either. I hope the core didn't crack from all that pressure or any SMD's that many of the OverDrives tended to have on top get knocked off.

Reply 12 of 17, by SuperHanSolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kodai wrote:

Take some pics if you have yet to clean it off. I'm curious about this odd TIM. 99% of the time, the pink stuff is a pre-made strip of of TIM that seems to be tough but its only due surface tension. What you are describing doesn't sound like epoxy, but it doesn't match the standard pink stuff either. I hope the core didn't crack from all that pressure or any SMD's that many of the OverDrives tended to have on top get knocked off.

Argh, i should have taken a picture, ive already cleaned it off 😒. I was so happy when it came off i just started cleaning it immediately.

This chip wasnt an overdrive, it had an overdrive style cooler but its a normal P1 133 so nothing on the surface to damage, BP80502133 SU073. But the cooler was definately stock, and I pretty certain this is the factory glue.

Though its different from other 133s ive seen, it doesnt have the stylised Intel font on it like the other ones, just the serial numbers and icomp rating. My guess is it was never meant to have the cooler removed so they didnt bother printing the intel lettering on it. Probably an OEM chip of some kind.

Reply 13 of 17, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SuperHanSolo wrote:
Argh, i should have taken a picture, ive already cleaned it off :/. I was so happy when it came off i just started cleaning it i […]
Show full quote
Kodai wrote:

Argh, i should have taken a picture, ive already cleaned it off 😒. I was so happy when it came off i just started cleaning it immediately.

This chip wasnt an overdrive, it had an overdrive style cooler but its a normal P1 133 so nothing on the surface to damage, BP80502133 SU073. But the cooler was definately stock, and I pretty certain this is the factory glue.

Though its different from other 133s ive seen, it doesnt have the stylised Intel font on it like the other ones, just the serial numbers and icomp rating. My guess is it was never meant to have the cooler removed so they didnt bother printing the intel lettering on it. Probably an OEM chip of some kind.

No OEM chips didn't come with coolers attached, only retail chips did. The OEMS where responsible for cooling the cpu down themselves.

Reply 14 of 17, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those are a real PITA. Mine came on a normal 233MHz MMX, all marks on it. Lighting and a crappy pic from mobile don't really help, but part of the CPU mirrored on the glue is still visible.
Not pink at all although the rest of the description (rubbery but stiff etc) fits well. I went through the same adventures to remove it of course... SuperHanSolo, how did you clean it off the heatsink? Razor?

So this is what it looks like:

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
197.82 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
183.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 17, by SuperHanSolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heatsink was very similar and yeah its the same kind of glue stuff you describe but the color was dark pink. It sparkled a bit as well in the light, maybe some kind of metal or ceramics in it to improve the thermal conductivity.

To clean it i had to scrap it off with a very sharp fillet knife, razers were flexing too much trying to scrape the glue off so i was worried they might snap. Tried softening it with 70% ethanol and then 100% acetone and neither had any effect.

Reply 16 of 17, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

why not just get a black sander and go to work on the sink, you know these pentium 1's they need that mirror finish as well 🤣